Join Early Retirement Today

Advice/Feedback on Blackriver Financial LLC
Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Advice/Feedback on Blackriver Financial LLC

Hi all,
I am looking for some feedback/advise on Blackriver Financial LLC - Mark Harwanko is the President of this Independent financial firm specializing in retirement/wealth management. They are in Bedminister, New Jersey.
There details are below

Home | Black River Financial, LLC
Contact | Black River Financial, LLC

Would greatly appreciate your feedback/advise if any of you have worked/working as clients advised/managed by this firm. I was not sure If I can ask such direct feedback/advise on this forum on a specific firm so moderators apologies if that is not the case. Also if you want to direct (private) message me on your feedback that is fine too.

Thanks again for your time and best regards
rhurhurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You probably won't get much feedback because most folks on hear are DIY and hate the idea of paying financial advisors. What are their fees?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurhurun View Post
Hi all,
I am looking for some feedback/advise on Blackriver Financial LLC - Mark Harwanko is the President
The top item on his resume is branch manager for Ameriprise, so I suspect he knows how to present his service with a smile. Whether that service is worthwhile is an open question.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurhurun View Post
Hi all,
I am looking for some feedback/advise on Blackriver Financial LLC - Mark Harwanko is the President of this Independent financial firm specializing in retirement/wealth management. They are in Bedminister, New Jersey. . . .

Would greatly appreciate your feedback/advise if any of you have worked/working as clients advised/managed by this firm.
What are their sources of compensation and what is their fee schedule? The answers to those questions will give you a >lot< of information about whether they are worth doing business with-- it's easy to eliminate 90% of the "bad apples" that way. I poked around their web site briefly and didn't see specifics.
Ideally, you want to pay them by the hour and you want to have it in writing that they receive no compensation of any sort from the funds or products they recommend. That's the only way you can know they are working for you and you alone. After that, we can discuss investing philosophy and take a look at their recommendations.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no direct experience with the individual or firm. You can search for SEC Investment Adviser Public Disclosure info...both individuals and firms...at this site

IAPD - Investment Adviser Search

Looks like the firm owner is a broker as well as an adviser and works for 2 other firms; IC Advisory Services and The Investment Center. According to the disclosures, commissions on insurance and investment products are a source of his compensation. The IC Advisory Services disclosure mentions fees ranging between 0.5% and 2.0%. Like others have mentioned, I recommend you look for persons and/or firms that act as Fiduciaries and are solely fee-based.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ask them if they will apply a Fiduciary Standard to managing your money and put that into writing (ie the singed contract).

If they do this, then they are legally obligated to put your financial interests ahead of their own. The vast majority of them will not do this and will tell you that a Suitability Standard or some other lesser threshold is good enough. You should be able to infer how the results will play out.

If I were to outsource and pay someone to manage my money, I would certainly want the provider to be legally obligated to put my financial interests ahead of their own (ie Fiduciary Standard).

Can't understand why anyone would do it any other way once they know this distinction.

I think Financial Advisers are very skilled at selling "peace of mind" but it may come at a very large cost and in the end, may not be there at all.

Here is an article further detailing the various standards: http://www.investopedia.com/articles...-standards.asp

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They are clearly in the business of selling fee-laden variable annuities. That alone is enough to send me running for the hills.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote