Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Advice for a newbie
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Advice for a newbie

Hi,

I'm recently an ex-Ameriprise client!! And I am moving my funds to Vanguard and need some advice on what to invest in. My wife and I are 34 with a 3 yo daughter. I currently am invested in the Vanguard target retirement 2045 fund but am thinking of also investing in either Wellington or Wellesley funds. My AA I think would probably be around 65 stocks and 35 bonds. I think the Wellington fund has performed well and matches my AA. Thought about the Wellesley fund also but with the rise of interest rates I wasn't sure if this was a good idea since it has more in bonds. Any advice is very much appreciated!! I absolutely love this forum and the people. TIA!
__________________

__________________
cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,829
Is all of your money currently in tax deferred accounts? You generally put traditional bond funds in tax deferred, and municipal bond funds in taxable accounts.

You could get your desired 65/35 AA by going with VTSAX and VTIAX for equities and then choosing a suitable bond fund depending on tax status.
__________________

__________________
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Is all of your money currently in tax deferred accounts? You generally put traditional bond funds in tax deferred, and municipal bond funds in taxable accounts.



You could get your desired 65/35 AA by going with VTSAX and VTIAX for equities and then choosing a suitable bond fund depending on tax status.
I have about 50% of our funds in a 401k and 50% in Roth IRA.
__________________
cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ready's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucumber View Post
I have about 50% of our funds in a 401k and 50% in Roth IRA.
OK, so no funds in traditional taxable accounts. I would still go with VTSAX/VTIAX for equities, and maybe VBTLX for your bond holdings. It's hard to get excited about bond funds right now, but by separating your equity and bond holdings, you can adjust your AA as you age or life situations change for you. With an all in one fund like Wellesley, you can't do that.

Of course I'm giving you investment advice while knowing very little about you, so I'll also add that reading a book or two on investment basics will make you feel much more comfortable about the recommendations anyone gives you. Many books have been referenced here, but I still find Investing for Dummies to be the best starter for getting to know the basics.
__________________
Ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
OK, so no funds in traditional taxable accounts. I would still go with VTSAX/VTIAX for equities, and maybe VBTLX for your bond holdings. It's hard to get excited about bond funds right now, but by separating your equity and bond holdings, you can adjust your AA as you age or life situations change for you. With an all in one fund like Wellesley, you can't do that.



Of course I'm giving you investment advice while knowing very little about you, so I'll also add that reading a book or two on investment basics will make you feel much more comfortable about the recommendations anyone gives you. Many books have been referenced here, but I still find Investing for Dummies to be the best starter for getting to know the basics.

Oops!! Sorry. Maybe about 50% in traditional IRA/401k and 25% in Roth an 25% in taxable. Forgot about the taxable accounts. You make very good points!!! Thanks for the advice! I will definitely read investing for dummies! Thanks Ready!!!
__________________
cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie needing advice Sassy Hi, I am... 135 04-14-2013 09:08 PM
Newbie - Looking for advice over lump sum payouts jaysmith2323 Hi, I am... 7 04-15-2011 06:26 PM
Newbie Seeking Advice on Investment of Inheritance worldexplorer Hi, I am... 6 02-05-2008 09:42 AM
Advice for a newbie syd03 Hi, I am... 5 10-10-2007 01:25 PM
Newbie seeks advice on moving to Raleigh, NC Happy Guy Life after FIRE 11 05-28-2007 03:12 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.