Another Market Down Day .. Are you buying or selling ?

Depends on the day. Yesterday, I was buying the dip and selling the rally. Today, I bought the close. Tomorrow, will sell the rally or sit on my hands until a tradable rally comes along.

Turns out I sold the rally!

To quote a few of our esteemed forum members,
Following my usual allocation and rebalancing targets.
We ain’t doing nuthin’.
Neither one. Still within my AA rebalancing points.
Don't just do something, stand there!

+1 +1 +1 and +1.

I'm not doing a thing. Like Audreyh1, I withdrew this year's money back in January, plus I also have the money for that new SUV that I wanted but decided not to buy, sitting there in savings at my local bank.

My plan is to wait, do nothing, and enjoy the show. :popcorn:

Waiting is SO much easier for me as an older retiree than it was back when I was working, because there are no decisions to be made, really. As a retiree, my cost of living is already designed to be very low and at my age I have those great SS deposits in my bank every month. So I'll be fine, and besides what else am I going to do but wait? When I was in accumulation phase, I thought it was much harder because the dismal option of delaying retirement was always right there in my face and that was both alarming and depressing. But now, whatcha gonna do - - just cut back if/when that becomes necessary, and otherwise continue to enjoy life to the max.

OK, anyway, in 2008 the talking heads were all saying that "this time it's different!" But despite that, the market eventually recovered as it always did before that.

To quote a few of our esteemed forum members,

+1 +1 +1 and +1.

I'm not doing a thing. :popcorn: Like Audreyh1, I withdrew this year's money back in January, plus I also have the money for that new SUV that I wanted but decided not to buy, sitting there in savings at my local bank.

My plan is to wait, do nothing, and enjoy the show. :popcorn: (Being on a diet I can't literally eat popcorn, but bear with me, I can't help loving these adorable emoticons! :LOL: ) :popcorn:

OK, anyway, in 2008 the talking heads were all saying that "this time it's different!" But despite that, the market eventually recovered as it always did before that.

It's not the popcorn... You can eat that. The butter and other delicious toppings, not so much.

I'm not finding any vehicles calling my name either. The Outback might be closest in size to your Venza, but you don't need all-wheel drive and the reliability is not as high as Toyota.

I just looked for the heck of it and I lost close to 150K yesterday a one day check. I have no idea what the worst has ever been never really though of checking in past years. Any way, time goes on another day today and looks like it is up today. Great!

Last edited:
2-3% daily swings I guess actually shouldn't be considered abnormal in the stock market.

I'm not finding any vehicles calling my name either. The Outback might be closest in size to your Venza, but you don't need all-wheel drive and the reliability is not as high as Toyota.
Exactly. Also, as time passes, new vehicles seem to have more and more unneeded electronics added and I hate that.

I'd buy a new SUV today for twice the price of any current SUV's, if it didn't have excessive electronics and actually allowed ME to be the driver and make the decisions, instead of relegating so much of that to the electronics.

Apparently I am a living antique for feeling this way. But these excessive electronics making decisions, have nearly cost me my life more than once.

I used to call my Venza my "Nanny Car" due to these issues, but it is better than what seems to be available now.

Exactly. Also, as time passes, new vehicles seem to have more and more unneeded electronics added and I hate that.

I'd buy a new SUV today for twice the price of any current SUV's, if it didn't have excessive electronics and actually allowed ME to be the driver and make the decisions, instead of relegating so much of that to the electronics.

Apparently I am a living antique for feeling this way. But these excessive electronics making decisions, have nearly cost me my life more than once.

I used to call my Venza my "Nanny Car" due to these issues, but it is better than what seems to be available now.

You actually have to go down market to get something closer to what you want. The Toyota Yaris hatchback is about as basic as they come today. My 2013 Corolla, which I bought as a cheap runaround town car, has dials and push buttons for the most part. Too hot? Turn on the AC and turn up the fan. It does have a touch screen for the radio, which I hate. You can't see it if there is a glare. Fortunately there is also a dial. If I could get rid of one design theme in modern cars, it would be the touch screen.

You actually have to go down market to get something closer to what you want. The Toyota Yaris hatchback is about as basic as they come today. My 2013 Corolla, which I bought as a cheap runaround town car, has dials and push buttons for the most part. Too hot? Turn on the AC and turn up the fan. It does have a touch screen for the radio, which I hate. You can't see it if there is a glare. Fortunately there is also a dial. If I could get rid of one design theme in modern cars, it would be the touch screen.
Thanks. I'll start browsing lower end vehicles and see what I can find. :)

Nasdaq futures are down about 3% tonight. I might get back in if I hear that "Woossh sound" otherwise :popcorn:

I just looked for the heck of it and I lost close to 150K yesterday a one day check. I have no idea what the worst has ever been never really though of checking in past years. Any way, time goes on another day today and looks like it is up today. Great!
Doesn't look like an up day. It looks falling knives right now.

Holding tight for now but looking for good deals ahead. My question is when to buy.

Looking for tax minimizing opportunities.

+1 I have a fund in my taxable account that no longer meets my longer term goals, so this has been an opportunity to dump those shares that are under water. Beyond that, just watching as things are getting close to my rebalance trigger points...

It's easy for me to do nothing. I have a many year stash in a stable value fund. I'm probably not going to even rebalance unless we start calling them "201k" accounts again.

... My question is when to buy.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
-- Will Rogers

Surfed the Web earlier this morning, while drinking my coffee. Saw that the Dow was down more than 300 points. Darn! Did not buy or sell anything.

Went out to the backyard to continue some work.

Went back in just now to rest. Saw that the Dow had dropped more than 500 points, and has already bounced back. Whoo Hoo! Fun time!

There are posters here who say the market action is boring and puts them to sleep. Then why are they still reading and posting on these threads?

I myself find this crazy market much more interesting to watch than any sports game, which I find extremely boring.

Surfed the Web earlier this morning, while drinking my coffee. Saw that the Dow was down more than 300 points. Darn! Did not buy or sell anything.

Went out to the backyard to continue some work.

Went back in just now to rest. Saw that the Dow had dropped more than 500 points, and has already bounced back. Whoo Hoo! Fun time!

There are posters here who say the market action is boring and puts them to sleep. Then why are they still reading and posting on these threads?

I myself find this crazy market much more interesting to watch than any sports game, which I find extremely boring.

I agree. Volatility is more captivating than any rival football game, the final lap of nascar, or the last seconds of the kentucky derby.

Better than any lasting hand of poker I've had. Well except those few royal flushes.:D

It's hard to believe at one point I was up almost 17% and now I'm about break even. I can handle the ride. I do think this is the only time we've corrected twice in a year in an election year where house/senate were predominately controlled. I could be wrong on that stat.

I call s&p @3000 before the new year! :dance:
Only like 45 more trading days left to git ir done!

Yeah, when I am down $300K in a month, of course I pay attention to the market and not some silly ball game, even if I do not trade.

And I do trade, but just around the edges to make a few $K here and there, which is a drop in the bucket compared to the loss.

Well, I took a tax loss on T and bought some AMZN. We’ll see how that plays out.

Buying as it drops.
Bought into the dow Wednesday, sold several (most) yesterday, am about to buy back "some" again today.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, it looks like I'm not buying or selling. I find if I just wait for a short bit of time my feelings of greed get over-come by my feelings of fear. And then the fear becomes overpowered by the greed. (I wonder if I'm commitment phobic)? So, I read the posts here for guidance. Can't tell you just how well that's been working out.

... There are posters here who say the market action is boring and puts them to sleep. Then why are they still reading and posting on these threads? ...
The chatter is much more interesting than the markets.

As an investor I sleep through the gyrations, but watching is kind of like being at one of those restaurants where they have televisions everywhere you look and the sound is turned off. Inevitably, the pictures are of people in funny clothes playing some kind of a game with balls. I typically watch a little of that action out of curiosity while waiting for my hamburger. It's just like I watch the market, with no interest or even knowledge of the players and couldn't care less about the outcome of the current game.

Back
Top Bottom