Join Early Retirement Today

Another one for "The Contrarian Files"
Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another one for "The Contrarian Files"

Best Stocks Liked Least by Analysts Missing U.S. Gain (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
June 21 (Bloomberg) -- Wall Street’s lowest-rated stocks have turned into this year’s best performers, a sign that analysts who underestimated the U.S. economy will boost their recommendations and trigger even bigger gains in equities.
And we're supposed to trust them and give them 1-2% a year to outperform the market....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

They're called anal-ysts because of the particular orifice they get their info from...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
June 21 (Bloomberg) -- Wall Street’s lowest-rated stocks have turned into this year’s best performers, a sign that analysts who underestimated the U.S. economy will boost their recommendations and trigger even bigger gains in equities.
Does the part I bolded strike anyone else as an oxymoron?

The stocks they didn't recommend did well, and now that they are going to recommend them (in hindsight) people will buy them and they will do even better?

It's different this time?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Best Stocks Liked Least by Analysts Missing U.S. Gain (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

And we're supposed to trust them and give them 1-2% a year to outperform the market....
There is certainly a case not to trust financial planners...but not necessarily one to trust the markets. SOMEONE found those stock and drove up the price.....and markets were the driving force behind many bubbles and busts. And let's not forget, it's also financial planners who are saying to diversify and rebalance.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
And let's not forget, it's also financial planners who are saying to diversify and rebalance.
Agreed. A good, fee-only financial planner will do that. But note this article is more about the pump-and-dump, active trading Wall Street analysts, not the "boring" financial planners who push such unprofitable concepts as indexing, asset allocation and rebalancing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote