Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I was not looking at those countries. I've been to Paris, but not the whole of France. So far I'm only looking at hotels at several countries and they are not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I think the tangental point of this thread was that IF the USD gained a dramatic gain in value and became the most powerful currency, that things in the rest of the world would be cheap to buy with USD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think the tangental point of this thread was that IF the USD gained a dramatic gain in value and became the most powerful currency, that things in the rest of the world would be cheap to buy with USD
That's absolutely been the case. We've been living overseas in different parts of the world for the past two years and everything is basically on sale compared to when we started.

Here in Mexico my USD purchasing power has increased by about 7% in just the month since we arrived.

From a portfolio management perspective, USDs buy more foreign earnings now tool.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #23

The US$ is already the dominant currency and has gained significantly in value over the past 4 years. As a net importer and also the global reserve currency, it's natural trend is to decline relative to the trade-weighted index. If so, it is probably closer to a peak in value now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US$ graph.jpg (141.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The US$ is already the dominant currency and has gained significantly in value over the past 4 years. As a net importer and also the global reserve currency, it's natural trend is to decline relative to the trade-weighted index. If so, it is probably closer to a peak in value now.
I agree, but if the Fed has another 3-4 rate increases this year, another 1-2%, we will likely be higher than the highest peak.

I think we are done with rate increases until inflation starts. The Fed had to raise rates to save face, and allow banks to have higher profits.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Another Sign of Global Deflation
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Another Sign of Global Deflation

Quote:

My how things change. That second peak in early 2000's was when US was running budget surpluses. They had projections showing the US being debt free about now. Also, they were worried about how all US debt being paid off would affect world economies and dollar value. Well, I guess we don't have to worry about that scenario for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Much of the lack of inflation is helped by the oil supply from Saudi Arabia, Iran and Venezuela. Once OPEC has bankrupted all the fracking companies, expect a return to higher prices. But we are probably talking about 3+ years.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My how things change. That second peak in early 2000's was when US was running budget surpluses. They had projections showing the US being debt free about now. Also, they were worried about how all US debt being paid off would affect world economies and dollar value. Well, I guess we don't have to worry about that scenario for a while.

No expertise here, but I think currency has less to do with budget surplus and more to do with the relative economic performance among countries, at least when dealing with strong currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I agree, but if the Fed has another 3-4 rate increases this year, another 1-2%, we will likely be higher than the highest peak.

I think we are done with rate increases until inflation starts. The Fed had to raise rates to save face, and allow banks to have higher profits.
I gave my policy recommendation to Janet but she asked me not to share it.

The Fed is usually in a no-win situation, and this is no different. They must act with certainty of that which has not yet happened, yet will be judged based on the history of what did happen.

- It is never the right time to raise rates. That moment is either not yet come or already past.
- There are always important constituencies that benefit while others suffer no matter what the Fed does.
- While the Fed has two mandates, they are liable for and judged by a third, which is the misallocation of capital that takes placce when money is too easy for too long.
- Many of the financial issues we face today are due to past policies that attempt to minimize the downside of economic cycles.
- Most of us have benefited enormously from the asset appreciation over the past decade, and decades.

If other policy makers around the world developed and implemented their policies with the same care, skill, and forethought, I think most of the world would be in better shape.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No expertise here, but I think currency has less to do with budget surplus and more to do with the relative economic performance among countries, at least when dealing with strong currency.

I gave my policy recommendation to Janet but she asked me not to share it.

The Fed is usually in a no-win situation, and this is no different. They must act with certainty of that which has not yet happened, yet will be judged based on the history of what did happen.

- It is never the right time to raise rates. That moment is either not yet come or already past.
- There are always important constituencies that benefit while others suffer no matter what the Fed does.
- While the Fed has two mandates, they are liable for and judged by a third, which is the misallocation of capital that takes placce when money is too easy for too long.
- Many of the financial issues we face today are due to past policies that attempt to minimize the downside of economic cycles.
- Most of us have benefited enormously from the asset appreciation over the past decade, and decades.

If other policy makers around the world developed and implemented their policies with the same care, skill, and forethought, I think most of the world would be in better shape.

That is my general understanding as well. I just, like always, go off on a separate and unrelated tangent at the same time.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I love predictions.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #30

Quote:

Yeah, I can't see the Fed raising rates further with the current global situation and inflation and growth as low as they are. Of course, I thought they should have waited longer before their first rate increase, so what do I know.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

With almost $19 trillions in Debt, chronic big budget deficit, Q4 GDP sharp slow down I do not understand how the Feds are going to continue rates raising.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Agreed. I don't think we will see another rate increase anytime soon either. The recent minor rate increase was not justified (based on the state of the economy), but they had to do it to save face, as you say. The Fed (and especially Janet Yellen) is in a real quandary here, because Bernanke put them in a real tough situation (with QE 1,2,3, ZIRP, etc), from which there is no easy way out now.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
I love predictions.
I predict that in the future, you won't.

-ERD50
Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I think it will be stagnation more so than deflation, at least in the US.

I think the US will go through what Japan had endured the last few decades.

People have been saying this for ten years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Pretty sure all you have to do is leave the country for a few days and return. Italy is just a short drive away and the food is good!
Schengen Zone. The drive is a little longer than that.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I am not clear where deflation may be found. In my little town, except for gasoline, the cost of most things is increasing.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am not clear where deflation may be found. In my little town, except for gasoline, the cost of most things is increasing.
Sometimes, deflation is hard to see. Cars have the same list price, bu have higher discounts. Gas prices are way down. Things purchased on-line eliminate many stages of mark-ups and are cheaper. Things can be purchased directly from Hong Kong, for pennies on the dollar, and are much cheaper.

Companies in the S&P top-line revenue growth is always struggling. Consumer spending, and wages, are stagnant. Do not look to tech workers wages, look to the average worker, without an education.

Deflation is here. When people cannot spend more, or refuse to do so, it happens.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Schengen Zone. The drive is a little longer than that.
And then you still can't come back for 90 days.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I think it will be stagnation more so than deflation, at least in the US.

I think the US will go through what Japan had endured the last few decades.
While stagflation is a horrible thing for economy, not a bad thing for retirees who already have their $$$$
Old 02-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
While stagflation is a horrible thing for economy, not a bad thing for retirees who already have their $$$$
In the short run I might agree. In the long run we need profitable businesses and working people making a descent wage to buy our investments when we sell them, help investments throw off increasing dividends, as well as contribute to our pensions, SS, Medicare, etc.