Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Did any of you dividend investors have much in financial stocks? They had tended to pay very good dividends but took a real bath in the recent downturn ?

Who would have known that all of those household name stocks would turn sour.
I had a bunch of C / BAC / WM, but sold them all in 2007 (WM in April, C / BAC in October) as the financial crisis was developing. I depend heavily on financial analysis in my stock selection, and it was becoming clear that nobody (certainly not me) had any idea what their assets were worth anymore. I did hold onto GE too long, a rare violation of my own investing rules.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - may I say ouch!. Ballpark -17% dividend income drop from 2007.

BAC, C, JPM, UBS, and non bank EGLE.

heh heh heh - plus some old timers like Union Pacific and Aetna. .

Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #23

What are good high dividend index funds?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have some SDY and PID. They seem to be doing OK.

I like dividends! I hope you bought GE at a good time.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
But I am lefthanded INTJ. .
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am a big fan of dividends, and always will be. I would keep in mind that a lot of international stocks have healthy dividends too, so don't rule those out......
Love the international stuff, particularly since some companies are required by law to pay out a certain percentage of income as dividends. I'm also considering PID just to be done with it. I only have RCI right now, but my target is 25% in international.

Mike
Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I own VEIPX and VTRIX (equal weight), as well as VGSIX as my dividend-heavy equity funds.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Throw us a bone or two.
Canadian banks or XDV.TO an index fund of top Canadian dividend payers. Watch out for exchange rate risk here, C$ is near parity and if it drops, so does your equity and income.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Lazy indexer here...I started up some DCA into VHDYX in 1Q09. Plan is to continue DCA until I hit a chosen $10K principal target. I may go higher...TBD.
Fund is just about 3 years old this November, so no long term track record. I like what I see so far.
Sometimes it is nice to be in on the ground floor of a newer fund without utilizing rocket science.
I needed some high dividend equity exposure and took the easy way out.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #29

Canadian Royalty Trusts also pay great yields. I sold most of mine earlier this fall, strictly on diversification still like em and will probably buy back in when oil goes down. Divy Holdings largest to smallest are PMI, EVEP, MO, RSO, AMY, NYB, PSEC, BTE. Looking to get back into KFT, ESEA, and PVX.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #30

I know canroys can be nerve wracking but I bought some ERF over a year ago. It pays $2/share before taxes. I bought it under $20. I'll sell it if/when it hits $19. Nice divvy.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm also looking at DWX for the international portion of the portfolio, but ouch! The largest percentage of holdings is in banks, which has skewered the payout.

Mike
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

TOT and TEF have now been added to the dividend portfolio, meaning that 4 of my 23 stocks are international. Of the remaining 7, I'm shooting for 1-2 from abroad.

I have a spreadsheet detailing holdings, yields, etc. (Yes, I'm a dork.), and the dividend portfolio, as it stands now, would pay $4,907 per year in income. My target is $120k, which means I'd need about $3.4 m in the acct to be hit that target. Gulp. Better save those dryer sheets.

Mike
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #33

I have a chunk of my non-retirement assets in a dividend-growth stock mutual fund. I began investing in it back in 1996. I don't use the dividends to cover any of my current expenses in retirement, so I simply reinvest them to buy more shares of the same mutual fund (at a pretty low NAV compared to years ago). With most of my non-retirement assets in a high-yeild (not junk) bond fund, I consider this stock mutual fund a good hedge against inflation and as a source of income should I need it down the road in my retirement (before I turn 60 in 14 years when I can tap into my IRA).
Old 11-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #34

I am not a big fan of dividend funds as they may generate unfavorable tax liabilities. And many of them are, or at least were, overweight in financials or energy.
However, it is a good way to go if you don't have the time or inclination to do the research into the individual companies stocks/dividends.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I am not a big fan of dividend funds as they may generate unfavorable tax liabilities. And many of them are, or at least were, overweight in financials or energy.
However, it is a good way to go if you don't have the time or inclination to do the research into the individual companies stocks/dividends.
That's a good reason to use ETFs, also. They tend to have less turnover and it is easy to check the level of diversification.

Mike
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

PVX price after Jan1st?

Does any of you have price opinion about the price of PVX & PWE after Jan1st 2010. The news is that Canadian Government is increasing the tax from 15% to 25%.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
Does any of you have price opinion about the price of PVX & PWE after Jan1st 2010. The news is that Canadian Government is increasing the tax from 15% to 25%.
I think much of the tax change is already priced into canroys, I think the price of crude and nat gas as well as the dollar/can dollar exchange rate will be much more influential to pps.

Jim
Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like the pipeline MLP's that mostly gather and collect fees to transport energy, and then quarterly send out distributions to the investors. For the general partner to get bonus money they have to keep increasing distributions. One mid-cap is EPD run by billionaire Dan Duncan who actually cares about his investors. My yield is 12%+ and new purchases are yielding around 7.5%. MMP is very similar and very solid. Two small caps that got slammed in the sell-off are both yielding 30%+ to me at my buy-in. I stopped caring what price they sell at on the market as the distribution is huge. CLMT, a specialty refiner, new purchases at 10.5%, and NGLS, a natural gas provider with new purchases at 10.5%. The thing I watch for is that cash flow more than covers the distribution. There are some that borrow money to pay the investors (bad). These four are cash flow positive and have manageable debt loads. I can't believe my blind luck to be getting 30% yields as the sellers that I bought from took huge capital losses.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Zoomie, check out SE on the NYSE.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Zoomie, check out SE on the NYSE.
Looks like the price has a good 30% to the upside. The divi's, however, are a bit too light to catch my eye. Good buy.