Any dividend growth investors out there?

I own VEIPX and VTRIX (equal weight), as well as VGSIX as my dividend-heavy equity funds.

Lazy indexer here...I started up some DCA into VHDYX in 1Q09. Plan is to continue DCA until I hit a chosen $10K principal target. I may go higher...TBD.
Fund is just about 3 years old this November, so no long term track record. I like what I see so far.
Sometimes it is nice to be in on the ground floor of a newer fund without utilizing rocket science. :LOL:
I needed some high dividend equity exposure and took the easy way out. :cool:

Canadian Royalty Trusts also pay great yields. I sold most of mine earlier this fall, strictly on diversification still like em and will probably buy back in when oil goes down. Divy Holdings largest to smallest are PMI, EVEP, MO, RSO, AMY, NYB, PSEC, BTE. Looking to get back into KFT, ESEA, and PVX.

I know canroys can be nerve wracking but I bought some ERF over a year ago. It pays $2/share before taxes. I bought it under $20. I'll sell it if/when it hits $19. Nice divvy.

I'm also looking at DWX for the international portion of the portfolio, but ouch! The largest percentage of holdings is in banks, which has skewered the payout.

Mike

TOT and TEF have now been added to the dividend portfolio, meaning that 4 of my 23 stocks are international. Of the remaining 7, I'm shooting for 1-2 from abroad.

I have a spreadsheet detailing holdings, yields, etc. (Yes, I'm a dork.), and the dividend portfolio, as it stands now, would pay $4,907 per year in income. My target is $120k, which means I'd need about $3.4 m in the acct to be hit that target. Gulp. Better save those dryer sheets.

Mike

I have a chunk of my non-retirement assets in a dividend-growth stock mutual fund. I began investing in it back in 1996. I don't use the dividends to cover any of my current expenses in retirement, so I simply reinvest them to buy more shares of the same mutual fund (at a pretty low NAV compared to years ago). With most of my non-retirement assets in a high-yeild (not junk) bond fund, I consider this stock mutual fund a good hedge against inflation and as a source of income should I need it down the road in my retirement (before I turn 60 in 14 years when I can tap into my IRA).

I am not a big fan of dividend funds as they may generate unfavorable tax liabilities. And many of them are, or at least were, overweight in financials or energy.
However, it is a good way to go if you don't have the time or inclination to do the research into the individual companies stocks/dividends.

I am not a big fan of dividend funds as they may generate unfavorable tax liabilities. And many of them are, or at least were, overweight in financials or energy.
However, it is a good way to go if you don't have the time or inclination to do the research into the individual companies stocks/dividends.

That's a good reason to use ETFs, also. They tend to have less turnover and it is easy to check the level of diversification.

Mike

PVX price after Jan1st?

Does any of you have price opinion about the price of PVX & PWE after Jan1st 2010. The news is that Canadian Government is increasing the tax from 15% to 25%.

Does any of you have price opinion about the price of PVX & PWE after Jan1st 2010. The news is that Canadian Government is increasing the tax from 15% to 25%.

I think much of the tax change is already priced into canroys, I think the price of crude and nat gas as well as the dollar/can dollar exchange rate will be much more influential to pps.

Jim

I like the pipeline MLP's that mostly gather and collect fees to transport energy, and then quarterly send out distributions to the investors. For the general partner to get bonus money they have to keep increasing distributions. One mid-cap is EPD run by billionaire Dan Duncan who actually cares about his investors. My yield is 12%+ and new purchases are yielding around 7.5%. MMP is very similar and very solid. Two small caps that got slammed in the sell-off are both yielding 30%+ to me at my buy-in. I stopped caring what price they sell at on the market as the distribution is huge. CLMT, a specialty refiner, new purchases at 10.5%, and NGLS, a natural gas provider with new purchases at 10.5%. The thing I watch for is that cash flow more than covers the distribution. There are some that borrow money to pay the investors (bad). These four are cash flow positive and have manageable debt loads. I can't believe my blind luck to be getting 30% yields as the sellers that I bought from took huge capital losses.

As for dividend growth stocks, my list is: MO, PM, KO, PEP, JNJ, ABT, PG, PSEC, AOD, BP, CVX, XOM, GE, WFC, MCD, WMT, GIS, MMM, EMR, SO, DUK, PAYX, SYY, MSFT, INTC, T, and JPM.

Get in at a good price and DRIP it. Do it in a Roth or IRA if u can.

Drips: BP, KO, MSFT, PEP, YUM, MO, KFT, PM.
Other high-yielders include DEO, MCD, WGL, DUK, SJT, FAX, STD and DBSDY.

MCD share price hardly budged during the '08 meltdown. :)

Why would you not Drip MCD? I got in at 55 and and going to get more when it pushes down there again. I will drip this all the way, even in the high 60's and 70's.

Why would you not Drip MCD? I got in at 55 and and going to get more when it pushes down there again. I will drip this all the way, even in the high 60's and 70's.

It's been a good investment. I dripped MCD for years before moving it to TDAmeritrade - it is one of my largest holdings now and I like the portfolio to be somewhat balanced. All my accounts auto-reinvest dividends.

Is anyone buying financials with hopes of growing dividends in the years to come? I'm considering adding WFC and JPM to my dividend growth income portfolio (albeit a small portion of the portfolio). I know it will take a few years for this to pay off but with the yield on cost, plus capital appreciation, will be significant

I'm not, but it isn't a bad idea. As you say, the capital appreciation (as long as the company survives) and dividend growth should be significant.
For me, there are still a few too many unknowns involved, so I am sticking with non-financials for any new purchases.

My top 4 holdings for current and future dividend income and income growth are:
1. XOM - inital yeild only ~ 2.5% but EPS growth will be huge; room to raise payout
2. PM - almost 5% right now and huge EPS growth potential; 65% of EPS to dividend
3. MO - a great buy at 7% yield, it will continue to pay and pay
4. CVX - like XOM but with higher initial yield at ~ 3.5%

Buy on the dips and DRIP it. Stay consistent with this or any similar strategy and you will have a steady cash flow soon enough.

Is anyone buying financials with hopes of growing dividends in the years to come? I'm considering adding WFC and JPM to my dividend growth income portfolio (albeit a small portion of the portfolio). I know it will take a few years for this to pay off but with the yield on cost, plus capital appreciation, will be significant

I have a small position in NYB, they recently announced a deal buying assets from FDIC, this bank has had a tremendous growth record up until a few years ago. IMO FDIC asset sales of failed banks (not the toxic assets, i'm talking about the branch banks and assoc consumer bank accounts) is the area that healthy banks will be feeding on for the next three to five years. NYB is well positioned to participate in additional FDIC deals.

Jim

I forgot to mention NYB pays a buck a share divy, they are up over 20% since the recent deal and subsequent stock sale. Stock is rising because most analysts now believe no dividend cut is likely.

Does anyone own---

Does anyone own-----
LINE (9% Div)
CODI (10.5% Div)
PDLI (14.4% Div)
OTT (11.2% Div)
NLY (16.5% Div)
GOOD (11.5% Div)
Please add more to this list.

Back
Top Bottom