Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

EDTeach, I have considerably smaller holdings in 7 of the ones you listed above. Recently started investing in individual stocks and its a learning curve. I see the losses as part of my tuition. I am up about 12% in my portfolio. I hope to one day reach your numbers or close. I am DCA every two weeks approximately $1500 since February. My strategy thus far has been purchasing additional shares of companies that are doing well and so far I have only sold one holding (MKTO). This was an impulse buy the day after their IPO. Like I said, its part of the learning curve. Didnt really answer your question, just thought Id share my story since I own some of what you own.
katwillny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kat, Thanks for the reply. I tried to do a diversification to take down my exposure to a down market. I have some very small amounts in some high risk stocks, but its only been my dividends I put in. I like solid American company's that have paid dividends for 70 to 100 years. KO is one that comes to mind.
edteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ed, your COP, XOM (you wrote XMO) and BP are around $100,000 alone...that is a pretty big bet on oil.

I don't see much tech in there...no msft, csco, appl, goog, intc....four of those 5 pay a nice divy too.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
BBEP looks like it is headed back up
Great price on BBEP right now thanks to the hysteria over at LINN. One of the cofounders just plopped over 400K in new shares. Picked up some last week and adding more LNCO as well.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm new here & don't want to ruffle any feathers. but I'm a little shocked at some of the stock suggestions.

Penny stocks ?
Someone mentioned thompson creek TC at 3.50 per share
It's now 2.87

Cincinnati Bell was another, also at 3.50 per share
Now 3.20

I'm not saying you can't find a big winner in this area now & then
and either one of these could turn into (big) winners, but I would avoid them.

No disrespect to those who recommended them.

Steve
ownyourfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

TC is not a penny stock. It's a mining company that is in a lot of trouble due to the fall in commodity prices coupled with their costly project to bring on a new property.

Cincinnati Bell: Cincinnati Bell (NYSE: CBB) is one of the nation’s most-respected and best-performing local exchange and wireless providers, with a legacy of unparalleled customer service excellence and financial strength. Cincinnati Bell provides a wide range of telecommunications products and services to residential and business customers in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

These are just low priced stocks. They are a having rough times, not really "penny stocks".
Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

As one who only invests passively thru Index Funds, I just want to say:

Thank you!
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a good day for Microsoft (MSFT) today, looks like it will be down around 12%.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Not a good day for Microsoft (MSFT) today, looks like it will be down around 12%.
Overpriced Surface tablets, not much interest in Windows 8, etc. MS was down in all 5 of its business segments.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

MSFT was one of my dividend picks. Maybe now is the time to buy?!?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
MSFT was one of my dividend picks. Maybe now is the time to buy?!?
I'd wait until it gets back into the mid 20's again.