Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha Ha when I clicked the link I got a security warning. Does Investors village charge a fee for the forum?

Second question for the MLP you've had for 25 years, isn't your basis near zero? How do you handle that?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Ha Ha when I clicked the link I got a security warning. Does Investors village charge a fee for the forum?

Second question for the MLP you've had for 25 years, isn't your basis near zero? How do you handle that?
Cliff-I have never paid a fee. Maybe I was grandfathered, I don't really know.

As to the long time holding, I have added to it from time to time, so I still have a (slightly) positive basis. However when it does go to zero, no real problem as I believe that most of the taxable income will be capital gain.

I do have a royalty trust with a zero basis, but althoukgh cost depletion has petered out, I am still somewhat sheltered by percentage depletion. These things are truly the gift that keeps on giving. I bought this RT even before the MLP. At the time the independent engineers (DeGolyer) gave it an 8 year reserve life. So 25+ years later, it still has an 8 year reserve life and I have received many times what I paid for the trust in distributions.

However, this is all very sensitive to who the petroleum engineer is, what kind of formations the reserves are in, etc. Some of them from back in the 80s have crapped out long ago.

Ha

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been registered there since Feb 2009, never paid a fee. -ERD50
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

ok well they want to charge $8.95 a month now, so being LBYM I'm not joning.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NLY yielding 16-17%
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
The $2 distribution is actually treated as recapture of depreciation and taxed at ordinary income when you sell it.

The good news is Turbo Tax handles most of this for you automatically.
Ok- good info, I was pulling my info from here:
National Association of Publicly Traded Partnerships- PTP 101

What does this mean for PTPinvestors?
Because the PTP itself does not pay tax, it is able to pass along more of its earnings to its investors than it could if it were in corporate form. It does this in the form of quarterly cash distributions. Rather than taxable investment income, they are treated as a return of capital and reduce the partner's basis in his partnership units.

Agreed - the tax software packages do most of the heavy lifting for you.

Regards,