Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone considering TSLA?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone considering TSLA?

Tesla Motors IPOd just a little bit ago.
Is anyone considering buying some?

I know I'm considering it, but it went up 1.5 points today.

Granted the EPS is -0.89 and I don't think they offer a dividend.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post

If I hadn't just used almost all of my cash to pay of my mortgage then it would've been tempting. It's very risky. The company has never had a quarterly profit. It most likely won't until at least 2013. That being said, there is also significant upside potential down the road. If you buy it, do so expecting to keep it for 5 or more years. Only use money you can afford to lose as the company could no longer exist in 5 years. I don't think there's much middle ground here. By around 2015, the company will either be nothing or growing extremely quickly.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMHO I think it will be like a DeLorean. There will be a niche to fill and once everyone has theirs, the rage will be over for the Tesla. Why? They need to market a car that the masses will want and can afford. This one priced at $125K just won't cut it. The Chevy Volt will have trouble competing at $40K. Lot of folks will buy one but Chevy depends on volume. Of course I haven't seen the Volt in person and it may be a really great car with lots of room, high quality, etc. It will have a tough time up against the Prius for return on investment. Tesla has some great engineering behind it that will lead to other vehicle developments and maybe some large auto company will buy them out. That's where your ROI will come from (stock price).
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #4

In a stunning deal, Tesla Motors announced late Thursday that it is teaming up with Toyota to build its all-electric Model S sedan at the recently shuttered NUMMI plant in Fremont, creating more than 1,000 new jobs.

from
Tesla, Toyota to build electric cars at NUMMI plant - San Jose Mercury News
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

No.

Mountain climbing is less risky...and more fun.
frequenttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Actually, it is less dangerous, and for me, much more fun than mountain climbing
However, I certainly wouldn't put anything other than play/pure speculation money in it.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You think it's a bargain now, wait until the six-month lockup period expires and the original shareholders can dump diversify their holdings.

Tesla, like the rest of the auto & airline industries, is doing great things for public transportation. I may even buy one of their products someday. However more capital has been invested in these two industries than has ever been, or ever will be, returned. And I'm including all the govt bailouts in that assessment.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the posts.

It is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Sigh, if only I had gambled more than I did
So any thoughts on this, are we seeing a short squeeze?
Close at $55 yesterday and up to $72 so far today.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

TSLA reminds of all those Interent companies in the late 90's.negative EPS, etc. Until the model S becomes a mainstream car that many can afford, it is just an oddity. Teaming up with Toyota is no doubt the smartest thing Tesla has done to date........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #11

If you consider a BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class or Audi A7/A8 "oddities" I would agree with you.
Considering the Model S has sold more cars in the US than any other large luxury car in the first quarter I give them more credit.

While the deal with Toyota was a great deal, I think the deal with Diamler was more significant.

I do think the current run is a short squeeze though and will likely settle down after the squeeze is over. It mainly depends upon how much pain the shorts can take.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
If you consider a BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class or Audi A7/A8 "oddities" I would agree with you.
Considering the Model S has sold more cars in the US than any other large luxury car in the first quarter I give them more credit.

While the deal with Toyota was a great deal, I think the deal with Diamler was more significant.

I do think the current run is a short squeeze though and will likely settle down after the squeeze is over. It mainly depends upon how much pain the shorts can take.
BMW has a full model line, the majority of their sales are 3 series. Mercedes has a full line, C series is the highest amount of sales. Audi is part of VW, so losts of sales to support the brand. What other models does Tesla have? There are only so many $60,000+ cars to be sold out there. Right now, it is one of those status models of the wealthy. That market segment is fickle, and will move on to the next thing. If Honda/Acura perfects their fuel cell car, Tesla will be an endangered species........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you consider a BMW 7 series, Mercedes S class or Audi A7/A8 "oddities" I would agree with you. Considering the Model S has sold more cars in the US than any other large luxury car in the first quarter I give them more credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
BMW has a full model line, the majority of their sales are 3 series. Mercedes has a full line, C series is the highest amount of sales. Audi is part of VW, so losts of sales to support the brand. What other models does Tesla have? There are only so many $60,000+ cars to be sold out there. Right now, it is one of those status models of the wealthy. That market segment is fickle, and will move on to the next thing. If Honda/Acura perfects their fuel cell car, Tesla will be an endangered species........
I know two Tesla S owners now, and they are wonderful toys. But with a range of 100-150 miles (assuming you'd want to return to your starting origin more often than not) vs unlimited range for any ICE or hybrid, it's a pretty expensive second vehicle/commuter. I admire Musk so I hope Tesla is successful, but we'll see. And I admire the early adopters nonetheless...otherwise I'd never get to ride in one.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I am very excited about my getting my new Tesla which I should be getting in early June.

After rebate mine came out to $55,000, which I think is cheap compared to the comparably equipped BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Cadillac.

Now obviously Oahu is an ideal place to have an electric car, and with the new PV system, I am more than a little excited about eliminating both electricity and gasoline costs in the future.

They aren't great cross country cars, but with Superchargers you can still go 400 miles in a day which is much as I typically ever drove while living in California. I think they cover 95% of a typically families driving needs. If you want to drive further, take a plane, or use the 2nd car.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #15

Congratulations!!
Did you get one of the sought after 40kWh ones?
I know a number of people that are wishing they had before Tesla canceled that size.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did you get one of the sought after 40kWh ones?
I know a number of people that are wishing they had before Tesla canceled that size.
The 40 kWh option was cancelled before production because "only four percent of customers chose the 40 kWh battery pack, which is not enough to justify production of that version." It would have had a range of only about 160 miles, 80 one way.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The 40 kWh option was cancelled before production because "only four percent of customers chose the 40 kWh battery pack, which is not enough to justify production of that version." It would have had a range of only about 160 miles, 80 one way.
Right, with a price of $57/59k or $50/$52k after rebate, which is why I am guessing Cliff is one of the fortunate ones that ordered it.

For Hawaii, I would think the 140-145 mile range (guessing here) would be perfect.
For those that ordered a 40kWh size, they get, at no extra charge, a software limited 60kWh pack.
Meaning they get the performance of a 60kWh for the cost of the 40.
They also have the ability to upgrade to the 60 later if the decide to.
The battery should last longer as well because you aren't using as much of the capacity.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering one before the canceled it as it would be a perfect second car for us (a long way from Hawaii in Minnesota).

I'm very excited for you Cliff, have fun with it!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #18

Other electric cars may be a better deal, other than having the latest & greatest toy. Lot of Leafs sold, I have a Ford Focus Electric. DW just loves it, drives great. The 75-80 range limits it to being our 'other' car, not 'second' as we use it far more than our Jeep which often sits a week before we need it to haul MIL to doctor appointments. We have a 240 charging system and get cheap night charging rates. Works out to cost equivalent of 110 miles per gallon. Two companies who proposed installing PV systems both said they are not cost effective, 12+ years payback with full Fed/state/utility incentives. And the lease cost is $250 a month for 3 years with zero down. Seems like a good way to get into an electric car and see how well it works for you. I would love a Tesla but the cost is just too prohibitive for me particularly considering the who prospect of an electric car is unproven at this time.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right, with a price of $57/59k or $50/$52k after rebate, which is why I am guessing Cliff is one of the fortunate ones that ordered it.

For Hawaii, I would think the 140-145 mile range (guessing here) would be perfect.
For those that ordered a 40kWh size, they get, at no extra charge, a software limited 60kWh pack.
Meaning they get the performance of a 60kWh for the cost of the 40.
They also have the ability to upgrade to the 60 later if the decide to.
The battery should last longer as well because you aren't using as much of the capacity.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering one before the canceled it as it would be a perfect second car for us (a long way from Hawaii in Minnesota).

I'm very excited for you Cliff, have fun with it!
Yup, I got the 40KW cause it is only 40 miles to the furthers point I typically go in 40 miles and 45 miles is the absolute far point on the island.
I get prime parking and generally free parking pretty much everywhere which is a nice benefit.

Oh and your early purchase of S model is partly responsible for me getting one. I didn't know you were in Minn. Obviously, you've managed to use it in cold weather.

I gather you are still happy with the car, otherwise you wouldn't want two.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I haven't bought Tesla stock, but a couple of things have got me more interested than in the past. The short term news has been sensational.

But long term, I think the real opportunities for the Tesla are in Europe. Home of relatively short drives, and tradition of expensive high performance sedans, and $10/gallon gas. The economics of the Tesla make a lot of sense in Europe.