Anyone Diving in Today??

So far as I can tell (admittedly not far), cloud computing is just a euphemism for the centralized data processing that computing designers keep trying and trying to revive in the face of its long, continuous decline since the introduction of personal computers. People like being in charge of their own systems, so I don't see it getting far.

What might change the game is the increasing reliance on mobile devices rather than traditional desktop/laptop PCs.

So far as I can tell (admittedly not far), cloud computing is just a euphemism for the centralized data processing that computing designers keep trying and trying to revive in the face of its long, continuous decline since the introduction of personal computers. People like being in charge of their own systems, so I don't see it getting far.

It's hard to say. Seems a lot of folks just want to turn on the darn machines and have em work properly. My mom still thanks me for loading her email software program on her computer. :)

I know just enough to be dangerous, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

What might change the game is the increasing reliance on mobile devices rather than traditional desktop/laptop PCs.
That's what I'm afraid of. As more and more people relied on companies to provide for their computing tasks, they become a slave to such. Just like my kids could divide or figure out percentage without a calculator. Also, they don't know the fundamentals to computing. They had a nerved to call me an antique when they saw key punch machine at Smithsonian in DC. I spent half of my college career in compiled room waiting for the printout only to discover there were a syntex error in beams and column calculation program because I was typing the cards in a machine that was on the last leg of the ribbon life.

Yes CSCO, sorry about that. But it was up 58 cents, better than it going down.

Yes CSCO, sorry about that. But it was up 58 cents, better than it going down.
Don't you just hated when a stock goes down few days after you bought it? It's good think I going for long term on value stock rather than quick get rich and get out strategy.

Don't you just hated when a stock goes down few days after you bought it?
I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms. It would have been worse, of course, if I had not resisted the temptation to buy in last Spring, so I'm not terribly unhappy. Now I plan to sit back and watch the market go up and up.

I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms. It would have been worse, of course, if I had not resisted the temptation to buy in last Spring, so I'm not terribly unhappy. Now I plan to sit back and watch the market go up and up.
I think that's very good plan. I've learn my lesson with buying high and selling low out of panic. My plans are the same. Buy and hold for long term. Hopefully, market goes up when it's time for withdraw.

Went with PFE, LLY and AEP - looking for reasonable dividends.

Yea, I see it as a buying opportunity. However, I will be dropping in with $10k over the next 10 days. If it keeps on going down I may consider adding another $10k to the pot. This strategy worked really well for me on the way down during the last crash! Buy hey over 4% down in a day sounds like a SALE to me!!!

Well it is time to shuffle out of some of these purchases and raise some cash for the sidlines again. I did drop a little over 22k in the end, but it is worth about 24700 right now.

I also was shuffling the IRA accounts around to the tune of 130k and it is up to 144k now so time to move that back to cash as well and wait for a dip in bonds to put that money back to work.

I am not a market timer generally, but this strategy is now 2 for 2. With continued volatility I can see some gains being made. Start buying o the dips and selling on the rips.

Well it is time to shuffle out of some of these purchases and raise some cash for the sidlines again. I did drop a little over 22k in the end, but it is worth about 24700 right now.

I also was shuffling the IRA accounts around to the tune of 130k and it is up to 144k now so time to move that back to cash as well and wait for a dip in bonds to put that money back to work.

I am not a market timer generally, but this strategy is now 2 for 2. With continued volatility I can see some gains being made. Start buying o the dips and selling on the rips.

Can't blame a man for taking profits.
There are ways to stay in the game and protect yourself. Heck, that's what stock options are for (the help mitigate some of the risk). They ain't for everybody, but they ain't rocket science.

A "straddle" might make sense, because it pretty much lets you profit when the stock moves up or down. I can't help but think the market won't go sideways.

Last edited:
Gotta love dem options...........:)

We dropped out of CMG and PNRA along with some mutual funds in the 401k to the tune of 100k... Sidelines for a pullback of maybe 5% or so.

My "hiding under the sheets looking at T&A," reveals that the 3 major averages all crossed and closed above their 200 day moving averages as a result of todays very nice rally.
This adds to the other (many) indicators that swung positive several days ago.
Of course we are overbought now, but we could easily pause briefly and press on much higher.
The deal breaker here are the headlines. If Europe does not deliver or something nutty (er) comes out of Washington it's game over.

Sigh, if it were only just about the TA.

Well, I missed out this time. Maybe there will be a small correction before year end or beginning of next year.

My stocks did beautiful, but my 401K is hiding in stable value and bond funds.

Sigh, if it were only just about the TA.

Yeah, because TA is so easy to understand. I was just looking at a REIT I own, and one of the recent stories about it said "Possible Bearish Harami Candle Pattern Detected". That's just sooooo meaningful.

I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms.
And now that recent investment is up 8.6%. Overall, though, I'm still down 3% from where I was in July.

Yeah, because TA is so easy to understand. I was just looking at a REIT I own, and one of the recent stories about it said "Possible Bearish Harami Candle Pattern Detected". That's just sooooo meaningful.
Yup, I limit my indicators to about five.
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of a "Bearish Harami Candle Pattern."
No wait, now I recall, it's the newest flavor at Ben and Jerry's..Quite fattening I hear.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom