Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did that a week ago, when the TSX dropped below 13K. Down to 7 years spending in Bond/cash. Next jump point, TSX 12K.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #22

Not exactly diving in, but I've been using this pullback to wade into some of the stocks that I've been watching that I think are attractively priced. For example, yesterday I sold some Sep 21 puts on INTC for 0.65. If I get assigned, I effectively own the stock at 20.35, which is a better than 4% dividend yield on a blue-chip company that has been growing its dividend at double-digit rates over the past few years and is selling at a PE less than 10.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I always wonder about these threads where folks say they are buying.

Unless somebody sends me some sort of money making machine, I don't have any more money to invest (fully invested).
Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST View Post

Unless somebody sends me some sort of money making machine, I don't have any more money to invest (fully invested).
In reality, everyone is fully invested.
It is not out of the question to consider that stash under the mattress an investment. It's secure (got lock?) and it is even possible that those dollars could appreciate. Security and expectation of return--Both elements of investing.

I think when most people say they are buying/investing, they are really saying, "I'm shifting my investment dollars."
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I am nibbling right now - XOM, PG, MDT, GE (sold some munis yesterday)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

shifted some funds to VWIAX
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #27

If anyone invested on margin...stay by the phone..bad news on the way..

I haven't seen charts like this since...a long time.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST View Post
Our IRAs hold shares of a dividend-paying international value exchange-traded fund (EFV) and a Dow dividend ETF (DVY). We take the distributions in cash, and it's been sitting around waiting for the flashing blue-light special. These 5-10% discount opportunities come up every year or two.

We've also been selling covered calls on some of our small-cap value ETF (IJS) and Berkshire Hathaway shares. Berkshire shares are trading at a 52-week low and I wouldn't mind buying calls for a change, but I'm not gutsy enough to predict when Berkshire shares are going to rise back above the strike + call value.

It's just a couple percent of the overall asset allocation.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #29

another good day to nibble...VIG and FMIHX. Dividends and Large Cap. Oh how I love a SALE!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #30

Still within 5% in the AA bands, so nothing to do today. Next check will be September 1.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
Administrator

Wow, the Dow has dropped almost 300 points today by this time. Looks like a great opportunity for those who were planning to buy sometime anyway.

Maybe we really ARE on the way to the second half of a double dip market crash. Time will tell.

It could always go back up tomorrow, but meanwhile I have my crash helmet on and I am hanging on tight for the ride.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, the Dow has dropped almost 300 points today by this time. Looks like a great opportunity for those who were planning to buy sometime anyway.

Maybe we really ARE on the way to the second half of a double dip market crash. Time will tell.

It could always go back up tomorrow, but meanwhile I have my crash helmet on and I am hanging on tight for the ride.
W2R, Seeing you post reminded me that I was on Bogleheads last week and there a thread started with the dreaded "whee" title...my immediate thought was UH OH!! I felt like one of Pavlov's dogs
Old 08-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Seeing you post W2R reminded me that I was on Bogleheads last week and there a thread started with the dreaded "whee" title...my immediate thought was UH OH!! I felt like one of Pavlov's dogs
It wasn't me! Guess it was a counterfeit Wheee!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It wasn't me! Guess it was a counterfeit Wheee!!
Just the word now makes me want to duck and cover!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Just the word now makes me want to duck and cover!!
Nah, if you don't plan on buying then just get that crash helmet and hang on tight for the ride. It could be up next week (or not).

My infamous Wheee!!! thread was in October of 2007. Some of our older members around here have LONG memories and while moaning and groaning (and selling low) when the market drops, they would rather eat worms than be happy when the market is up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #36

True. No plan to buy unless the AA gets out of whack.

Full indexer here. We no longer buy individual stocks...they just don't work for us.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #37
Administrator

I do pretty much the same, with a dash of Wellesley added for income.

Just remember, the Dow was 11578 last December 31st. At this moment, the Dow is 11618 which means it is up for the year, believe it or not! No need to panic, though it could be a good opportunity for those who planned to rebalance anyway.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #38

Bought a little VTI in the wife's IRA today. We had funded it, but I had been lazy about actually buying something.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Bought a little VTI in the wife's IRA today. We had funded it, but I had been lazy about actually buying something.
Great opportunity to pick it up "on sale"!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No near-term buying planned. I'm still building a fully liquid cash reserve, so I'll sit this one out for now.
However, when that HK tender offer shows up in my money market sweep account (up to 4 weeks worst case), I may put some of it back into existing stock mutual funds if the conditions are right.