Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dove in, glad I did.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
On the afternoon dip, sold a small slug of S&P 500 and Total International Index and dumped it in equal parts US small cap index and US small cap value index.

Since I am virtually 100% equities, I go from less volatile large cap stuff to more volatile small cap-ish stuff when markets drop because usually the small cap stuff moves more. Not DMT'ing, just rounding off the under weighted asset allocations. Although this is the third time I have rebalanced in the last month or so. What's the threshold for DMT status? 4 rebalances in a month?
I think DMT is rebalancing more than twice a year. Three times in a month certainly qualifies.

I here by invite you to the next DMT anonymous meeting. They are held when the market is close (wouldn't want to miss the fun).

Hum 100% equities and with the VIX up to 40% you go for higher volatility? I think your SIL gambling spirit has started to affect you.

Welcome to the dark side.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I confess. I jumped in too, on a very small potatoes scale.
I took the time today to research BHP, the company that just bought HK a few weeks ago. I liked what I saw in BHP's global diversification and metals/energy/pesticides lines.
I grabbed 75 shares at $76.12. Closing price of BHP today was over $79, so I am a happy camper for today. I may have bought BHP just in enough time to get a dividend in Sept.
HK will still exist as a US subsidiary of BHP so I figured I would take my own actions to continue "owning shares" of HK, albeit under BHP's umbrella. Recall I accepted a tender offer for HK as part of the merger deal struck in July of this year.
I am not in over my head on this one. Mr B has been following the HK acquisition by BHP story right along and said "go for it" if you have a good feeling about BHP.
So I did.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday, I setup contributions for my kids' 529 plans. The thing is, it takes 2 days for the money to transfer and purchases on the day's close. So, I'll buy into today's NAV.

Figured today will be slight up or down day. It was up earlier (darn), then down (yippee!!), then sideways, then way up (darn!!!!).

This is what hate about these funds. You can't buy it at that price like etfs. But, in the big picture, I think it was an ok buy in.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

bought some on Monday, bought some more on Tuesday
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Hey what happened to the testosterone account? Don't tell me you move all of that to psst also
Welllll - ok ok a few good stocks left. But I have to sell something to buy something.

heh heh heh - maybe when football fires up in sept and oct I shall shift a few deck chairs on the Titanic - er the next great stock or some such. .
Old 08-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday, added $17k in S&P fund & $5k in CMG late in the day...my NLY has been a super saver for me lately too.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing purchased today, but yesterday I plumped up my Oil Service (FSESX) and did six separate transactions scaling into DVY during the chaos. Ah the beauty of no commission trades at FIDO.
From this point I'm more about seeing what will recover, or not, and weeding out the "or nots," hopefully on a day like today.

Happy Trading!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=JPatrick;1099154...and did six separate transactions scaling into DVY during the chaos. Ah the beauty of no commission trades at FIDO.[/QUOTE]
That ETF has made us happy campers since it recovered from the 2008-09 carnage..

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I hurried up and stood there. Was lucky yesterday, though, in that all my bond fund divvies were reinvested...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #111

Bought DVY twice and PG plus the biweekly Total Market kicked in yesterday evening.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Dove in, glad I did.........
And your advice to clients was?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #113

Pretty unusual day in the market. Even with the Dow finishing way up, I was able to add to positions in 12 of my dividend stocks at prices lower than the day before. My purchases all took place just after 3 pm and the Dow really took off right after that. Timing is everything - I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
This market is crazy!....down over 400 pts 40 minutes after the market opened and I wouldn't be surprised to see it up at the end of the day.
IOW, a day trader's idea of heaven!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
IOW, a day trader's idea of heaven!
Yeah, a day trader who is tethered to someones "faster than the speed of light" electronic program.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

I am buying again today (CVX, XOM, GE, WMT, MDT)
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #117
Confused about dryer sheets

I am buying again today (CVX, XOM, GE, WMT, MDT)

You're buying all the ones I just sold!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I put a low-ball limit order for O. It will get filled only if we have a huge downdraft.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #119

Both yesterday and today I bought more Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Index ADM (VTSAX).
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Just for fun, I'd like to have a peek at the past few weeks trading activity of the good folks at S & P, as well as their friends, family, and house pets...

Just curious...

Thank you SEC..Happy Hunting!!

WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- The Securities and Exchange Commission has asked Standard & Poor's to disclose who at the ratings agency knew of its decision to downgrade U.S. debt before it was announced last Friday, The Financial Times reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
MoreThe SEC's action is part of a preliminary look into potential insider trading, the newspaper said.

SEC Probes S&P's U.S. Debt Downgrade: Report - TheStreet