Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought some MDT today at 33.50 and did rebalance on my main portfolio.

Planning to buy WFC, CLX, ITW when it reaches price target.
HatePayingTaxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wheee!!
She said Wheee!

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nah, if you don't plan on buying then just get that crash helmet and hang on tight for the ride. It could be up next week (or not).

My infamous Wheee!!! thread was in October of 2007. Some of our older members around here have LONG memories and while moaning and groaning (and selling low) when the market drops, they would rather eat worms than be happy when the market is up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
She said Wheee!

DD
No I did not! You'll know a "Whee!!!" thread when you see it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #45

Quote:
You'll know a "Whee!!!" thread
She said it AGAIN!!!!

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My allocation is still where I want it to be within a couple of points. I won't be rebalancing, most likely, unless we come down another 15% from here.

Feel much better now at 55/45 than I did in 2008 with about 72/28. I think I found my comfort zone.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My allocation is still where I want it to be within a couple of points. I won't be rebalancing, most likely, unless we come down another 15% from here.

Feel much better now at 55/45 than I did in 2008 with about 72/28. I think I found my comfort zone.
Nothing like a ~ 50% fall in equities to figure out one's real risk tolerance. Somehow those 10 question online quizzes failed to accurately calculate it . I was 80:20, now 75:25 and on a glide path to ~65:35 when I retire.

DD
Old 08-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Nothing like a ~ 50% fall in equities to figure out one's real risk tolerance. Somehow those 10 question online quizzes failed to accurately calculate it . I was 80:20, now 75:25 and on a glide path to ~65:35 when I retire.
Yeah, those questionnaires that ask "If the market fell 30% in a month, what would you do" and that sort of thing (to determine your optimal AA) are fine and good, but unless it's real money on the line it's only a guess -- and most folks probably overestimate their risk tolerance in the shadows of an Ursa Major.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, those questionnaires that ask "If the market fell 30% in a month, what would you do" and that sort of thing (to determine your optimal AA) are fine and good, but unless it's real money on the line it's only a guess -- and most folks probably overestimate their risk tolerance in the shadows of an Ursa Major.
This adjustment has me rethinking what we think our AA should be. Our plan says AA is 60/40 but it's drifted to 57/43...With this current drop I'm thinking 55/45 or even 50/50 is a much better AA for us since we're planning to retire in 5 years (at 55).

So, as you say, I may have overestimated our risk tolerance. Less than a year into this DIY investing and I'm still learning a lot.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
This adjustment has me rethinking what we think our AA should be. Our plan says AA is 60/40 but it's drifted to 57/43...With this current drop I'm thinking 55/45 or even 50/50 is a much better AA for us since we're planning to retire in 5 years (at 55).
The 'nice' thing about a correction like this is you may not have to do anything to arrive at your new allocation...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The 'nice' thing about a correction like this is you may not have to do anything to arrive at your new allocation...
The lazy man's way!! I would say I like it....but not so much
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought some GPL and SVM today. DXD Jan '12 calls are doing well. I plan on purchasing specific stocks all the way down....
nbw888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Yea, I see it as a buying opportunity. However, I will be dropping in with $10k over the next 10 days. If it keeps on going down I may consider adding another $10k to the pot. This strategy worked really well for me on the way down during the last crash! Buy hey over 4% down in a day sounds like a SALE to me!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Sold a little VXX that I have been holding for a while (volatility index). Bought some small cap international (SCZ). Missed the absolute bottom but got close enough. Buying opportunity (not saying it is the bottom, just 10-15% cheaper than it was in the last six months).
Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a small "Vegas Fund" that I moved to cash last Monday. I think I'll buy some ETFs tomorrow. I guess that is what it was designed for.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Like several have mentioned, I was thinking about taking my AA down from 50:50 to 45:55. So I'll just cruise along this time and let it happen automatically.

We are sure getting a lot of practice in riding out recessions and bear markets. After this it should all be child's play .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #57

Did my first non-trivial buying since Sept 2010. Bought 5k total stock market index, 5k small cap, a small amount of SPY in my son's trust fund, 200 FNFG a few days ago and 400 FNFG today, and 200 PBR right around market close. Overall, a nibble in terms of overall asset allocations. Today was NASTY and I can foresee being given the "opportunity" to covert more cash to stock. My asset allocation was about 56% equity, 44% fixed/cash (with a heavy emphasis on Short term cash/CD's and inflation adjusted bonds on the fixed/cash portion).

Longer term, even though I am retired, I was planning on somewhat increasing the equity allocation as I think currency debasement continues to be the most likely way politicians will attempt to "fix" the current debt mess. To me, this means that continuing to skew to investments with some level of inflation protection is the way to go...(e.g. resource rich/oil/gas companies, gold/etc companies, agricultural, inflation protected securities, some tech taking market share and/or having pricing power either directly or via lowered component costs, countries/regions that are resource rich or which I expect to have a relatively shallow recession....and so on.)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Like several have mentioned, I was thinking about taking my AA down from 50:50 to 45:55. So I'll just cruise along this time and let it happen automatically.

We are sure getting a lot of practice in riding out recessions and bear markets. After this it should all be child's play .
Yes, we are getting pretty good at this!

My comfort zone is 45:55 (equities:fixed).

In May I thought I would try a little experiment and go from 45:55 to 50:50. I was miserable with that more daring AA throughout June, and the experiment really drove home that while 45:55 is comfortable for me, it is not overly conservative for me either.

So, I sold enough at that little peak on July 7th to get back to 45:55, and gained about $75 (essentially nothing) and a lot of experience. This was all within the TSP, so this little experiment will cause no tax worries. I am SO glad that I was back in my comfort zone for today's crash.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Yea, I see it as a buying opportunity. However, I will be dropping in with $10k over the next 10 days. If it keeps on going down I may consider adding another $10k to the pot.
Here, too. I started a mutual common stock fund account with $10k today, and if the market doesn't rise in a few weeks, I'll add $10-20k.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #60

Added to positions in eight dividend paying stocks at deep discounted prices: ABT, ADP, JNJ, FTE, PAYX, PG, WMT, WM. Will buy more tomorrow if the prices drop more or stay down.