Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else buying today?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #41

I want to buy, but my initial retirement plan was to live off of cash for a few years. Buying would deplete my cash to the point where I would have to sell equities to get cash before the 3 year mark, so I'll probably stand pat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I want to buy, but my initial retirement plan was to live off of cash for a few years. Buying would deplete my cash to the point where I would have to sell equities to get cash before the 3 year mark, so I'll probably stand pat.
Same plan as us. I have about 4 years expenses in cash spread across a few accounts and it is very hard to keep that money out of the market on a day like today. I keep thinking...well, really two years of expenses is probably enough and I could invest the other two...

Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #43

I'm not buying anything. Prices are too high and need to come down a lot more for that to happen. Emerging markets are starting to look interesting, though.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not buying anything. Prices are too high and need to come down a lot more for that to happen. Emerging markets are starting to look interesting, though.
Not everything is too high but the index is out of whack. Apple trades for 11 or 12x fwd earnings, Corning for 10x, Gilead for 9x while Netflix trades for 200x, Amazon for 97x, Chipotle for 35x.

We got into a period where growth or the appearance of growth was everything and you were told to pre-pay for all of that growth.

Maybe we are going to fix that now.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The quote above is strange. I get emails when someone posts on the thread that I've posted on. The email quoted Ronstar as posting the message "AT&T stock" not the above. Anyone know why there's a different message in my email? All other posts in this thread match the emails I received.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #46

I started typing " AT&T stock" into what I thought was in a browser, but it was really in an er post. When I realized I typed it as a post in er.org, I edited the er post. I wanted to see what AT&T 52 week high and low was and had 2 apps going at the same time on my phone- a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not buying anything. Prices are too high and need to come down a lot more for that to happen.
+1
Old 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #48

If CVX meets or crosses below XOM , and WTI holds at or above $40 , I'm buying both CVX and XOM.. how's that for my half ass stock anaylis
Old 08-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I did some small buys today and yesterday, and will buy more if the market keeps going down. If the market goes up, I use the money for vacation.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
If CVX meets or crosses below XOM , and WTI holds at or above $40 , I'm buying both CVX and XOM.. how's that for my half ass stock anaylis
That's about where I am too.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy? Maybe when we are down 20% or more.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I've been selling in my after tax gambling account for a few years, taking advantage of the 0% CG tax rates, and have been transferring said account to a Roth IRA. So I've had cash sitting in the Roth. I had put in a number of buys, good until whenever, for stocks I was interested in. A couple of them (GILD and SDRL) have triggered, and a couple others (XOM, WMT) are close. A few others (AAPL at $85 and BRK.B at $125) have a ways to go. It's not a big part of my total portfolio, but as Uncle Mick says, it's good for the testosterone. I'll probably slack off soon since fantasy football is starting.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Not everything is too high but the index is out of whack. Apple trades for 11 or 12x fwd earnings, Corning for 10x, Gilead for 9x while Netflix trades for 200x, Amazon for 97x, Chipotle for 35x.

We got into a period where growth or the appearance of growth was everything and you were told to pre-pay for all of that growth.

Maybe we are going to fix that now.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how each individual stock fares against the broad market in the days ahead.

I can understand how investors may have consternation about Apple being able to keep growing earnings by making bigger and badder iPhones, but I could not find what could be wrong with Gilead. I do not follow the biotech industry, so do not know what investors are afraid that may be waiting behind the curtain with Gilead. Both APPL and GILD went down 6% today.

But I agree with you that the high P/E of some stocks smells like the dotcoms of 2000. Shows you that speculation is always a part of investing. And it does not apply to just equities.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 AM   #54

Set up to sell all my CVX when it goes down a few more cents. That will give me a couple years of loss for taxes. Then it's the month wait to buy back. If it goes down further then "Bob's your uncle". I don't see much chance in it going up enough to exceed what I will gain. This is some of my "play money" so it has no impact on retirement investments. This is my first little gamble other than the annual dollar on the state lottery but I think it is a pretty conservative gamble.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #55
gone traveling

Picking away at funding my roth ira's. Remember the panic one year ago that rocked the market? Ebola...anyone care now? Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #56

I usually buy a chunk first week every month to continue reaching to my my AA. I was accidentally cash poor in the Vanguard account, so I bought only 1/2. I guess I'll finish it on Monday now that the bank transfer went through.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my monthly purchases and ignore the noise.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
To the OP question.... that presupposes that there is cash sitting around TO invest... I do not have any...

I have all of my money invested or it is for living expenses.... AA is not out of whack.... and most of my 'bond' funds are stuck in a cash balance account at my old mega which I cannot do anything with except watch it grow...
+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Not buying with my cash yet. Need a much bigger correction for that. But as any other month I buy funds with what I eventually did not use of last months pension. Around $100 this time. This month though it won't be anything left thanks to me beeing on holiday.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have my order in for 20k of XOM at $56....we'll see
Old 08-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valueplayer View Post
I have my order in for 20k of XOM at $56....we'll see
That would be a chunk of change. Good luck, that would also be a 10+year low for XOM. Personally, I'm not sure I could resist not buying in the mid 60's. But that's me.