Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else buying today?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone else buying today?

I have been sitting on a chunk of money from the sale of our last home. The market has been so high this year that I was reluctant to dump it in all at once. I moved about 10% of the money into Wellington this morning and I may put in a bit more on Monday if the market stays down or drops some more.

Anyone else buying on this dip or are you holding out for an even further drop in the market.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, but only to add to sectors that get me to AA goals.
I don't like buying without it being part of my ISP.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm slightly under my AA, and have been buying small amounts to get back to 60% for the past month or so. I bought yesterday, but will probably not buy any more today.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #4

Many of the stocks I track are already well into correction territory and the market as a whole is very near what most would consider in correction. Yes, it's market timing but I'm sitting on a lot of cash.

Am seriously thinking about it.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have added to SCHD and a bit of XOM. Long term, of course and in my Schwab IRA. No cash to deploy in my Vanguard account.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

I have a lot of dry powder, but will probably wait a bit to see if this sell off continues.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #7

I won't go "all in" on any one day but some of the stocks I'm watching are starting to look pretty interesting to me.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

I moved about 2% yesterday and another 2% today from one fund into an S&P index fund I've been coveting. I like to go incrementally. I'll do more if the opportunity arises.

Market forces allowed me to go back in time 10 months and correct my winter oversight.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been sitting on 70% cash (making a little over 2% in our interest income fund).
I will start moving into the market if the downtrend continues on Mon.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the market has a ways to go before bottoming. Margin debt is still near all time high nearly $505 billion and that is way above the last bubble when it reached $381 billion in July of 2007.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The recent pattern would suggest another weak day Monday or perhaps a poor week. At the current index levels, there will also be some autotrade buying. There are opptys, but mkt seems to lack conviction one way or the other.

Maybe waiting a few more days to see if it really bounces or not. Could look at selling PUTs in individual stocks at an entry price you like - and if the name gets there, you buy at your price plus packet some cash. If not, then you just pocket the $$
Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
Administrator

Yesterday I sold my (former) house, and because of no mortgage I got a big check from the title company. As soon as the title company went through their customary anti-fraud verification with the bank, I deposited it and arranged to upload the money to Vanguard ASAP.

It's still not there. (groan)

I am trying SO hard not to make a hyper-critical crack about the Pony Express versus high tech methods of the digital age.

On the other hand, who knows? Maybe we'll have an even bigger dip on Monday than we did yesterday and today. If the Dow is below 16,000 when I reinvest, then my dream house and move could end up costing me nothing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Anyone want to claim this the correction that was forecast for September way back in April?
Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #14

The Bull needs to bleed more , need to see real panic and capitulation, then I'm buying , like the dirty bottom fisher that I am.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #15

I've been buying off and on all through the year. I transferred money to my taxable stock account on Wednesday and I'm watching a copy of stocks.
I'm with W2R, use to drive me crazy waiting for funds to show up so I can start trading. The trading company I use now has my funds available pretty fast. I transferred money Wednesday night and my account was showing funds available for trading Thursday morning.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I've been buying off and on all through the year. I transferred money to my taxable stock account on Wednesday and I'm watching a copy of stocks.
I'm with W2R, use to drive me crazy waiting for funds to show up so I can start trading. The trading company I use now has my funds available pretty fast. I transferred money Wednesday night and my account was showing funds available for trading Thursday morning.
Give me a pony with saddlebags and point me towards Pennsylvania! My bank is unbelievably slow with any electronic transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
The Bull needs to bleed more , need to see real panic and capitulation, then I'm buying , like the dirty bottom fisher that I am.
I love it! I'm getting pretty eager to see that, too. I try not to market time, but the self control required to abstain is hard to muster sometimes.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #17

I did a buy-write today on Apple and Gilead. Essentially getting the shares at some 5% lower level than they are trading today. Both pay a small dividend easily supported by earnings and have healthy PE and growth (much lower price to earnings than the rest of the market).
Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice dip. But not a big deal.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A little bit. This smells like panic. There aren't really any extraneous events pushing it - more like very low trading volume in general, and a month with many traders on vacation, and Friday's make it worse. DH has been waiting to buy something and bought a little today.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I capitulated on Wednesday after seeing my 20% YTD gains evaporate to 8% loss.

Now the hard part, when to jump back in.

IMO, the smart play is to start to ease in to short OTM puts.

Sent via ER iPad app