Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here concerned about inflation?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Anyone here concerned about inflation?

It's all the rage in the news these days. To be clear, I don't think we're going into an inflationary supernova (thanks to new government spending plans and tax cuts), but I'm wondering what others on the board think of this issue.
debshaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sure I'm concerned, but not in the current environment.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

I assume we will have inflation, and that's why we keep some money in equities as a hedge. Since I have no control over it I see no purpose in worrying about it though.

I've always said that owning a home is a great hedge against inflation since nobody can raise your rent, which is typically your largest budget item. And in California property tax increases are capped at 2%, so no real worries there. If the price of gas goes up, it's not going to break my budget.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I assume we will have inflation, and that's why we keep some money in equities as a hedge. Since I have no control over it I see no purpose in worrying about it though.

I've always said that owning a home is a great hedge against inflation since nobody can raise your rent, which is typically your largest budget item. And in California property tax increases are capped at 2%, so no real worries there. If the price of gas goes up, it's not going to break my budget.
As an aside, property taxes in California are not capped at two percent per year. Politicians have learned that the voters will support all kinds of parcel taxes and special assessments if they are for schools, parks, libraries, or wetlands protection. And people will provide the necessary two thirds majority to pass new bonds if the story is good. The base tax rate is one percent of assessed value. Existing bonded indebtedness raised that to maybe 1.1 percent in my area when I bought my house. Instead of paying a decreasing percentage as bonds were paid off, the parcel taxes and the bond issues approved by more than two thirds majorities have driven my taxes up to over 1.8 percent of the assessed value. The assessed value still goes up two percent per year. Howard Jarvis is spinning in his grave.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #5

I was only referring to tax increases, not base tax rates, which vary by locality.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We hold a bunch of TIPS as a hedge against 70s/80s kind of inflation. Low probability, high impact type event.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
We hold a bunch of TIPS as a hedge against 70s/80s kind of inflation. Low probability, high impact type event.
Smart, that's a good way to sleep well at night. I should consider adding some to my portfolio as well.
debshaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I was only referring to tax increases, not base tax rates, which vary by locality.
The assessed value can only go up by two percent compounded annually. The tax rate goes up every time a new general or parcel tax is voted in. My taxes have gone up a lot more than two percent every year.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Mine too. Of $2100 in property tax, I pay $150 in extras;

Mosquito control, hazardous waste, water quality, but mostly schools and the local community college.

I enjoy paying these taxes, they make life better here.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by debshaw13 View Post
Smart, that's a good way to sleep well at night. I should consider adding some to my portfolio as well.
Yeah. One of life's little mysteries for me is why someone would segregate part of a portfolio to be "safe" fixed-income and then immediately charge off simultaneously in all directions seeking risk and volatility in junk, emerging markets, etc. It makes no sense. TIPS make sense to me; I pay only a very small "insurance premium" for the inflation protection compared to what treasury bonds or high-grade corporates might yield.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by debshaw13 View Post
It's all the rage in the news these days. To be clear, I don't think we're going into an inflationary supernova (thanks to new government spending plans and tax cuts), but I'm wondering what others on the board think of this issue.
I think inflation will be higher than it is today, particularly with recent moves by this administration which serve to further juice an already strong economy.

Hopefully, it won't get out of control. I don't think it will, and I'm not yet doing anything special in anticipation of that happening, but I am concerned.

Sometimes politicians focus on the short-term at the expense of the longer-term.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, but the day may come.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No, I used up all my worry about inflation over the last 10 years that it was supposed to happen.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #14

I'm not particularly worried about inflation. In the 21st century I think technology (and it's enabled wicked stepsister globalization) will keep a damper on it.

The only time the U.S. has had sustained inflation above 3-4% is during major wars - WW1, WW2, and late Cold War/Vietnam. In any case, FIRECalc and similar historical studies cover those periods and I'm >100% in FIRECalc, so good to go.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgrant1962 View Post
the only time the u.s. Has had sustained inflation above 3-4% is during major wars - ww1, ww2, and late cold war/vietnam.
1973 - 1982.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Sure I'm concerned, but not in the current environment.
+1
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
1973 - 1982.
Yes, that was late Cold War.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
1973 - 1982.
That's been in the back of my mind all along my path to ER. Sure, I have a plan, but it's more of "pull out all the stops" plan. Hoping I never have to use it!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It's a good thing the elected officials know their stuff, or I'd be worried...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It's a good thing the elected officials know their stuff, or I'd be worried...