Apple (AAPL) - Good opportunity?

Steelart99

Recycles dryer sheets
With Apple down for the last day or so, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on whether this is a "GOOD" buying opportunity. Many of the financial advisors still believe that Apple is heading towards large gains over the next year.
Dan

I have no idea what Apple is going to do. Do you really believe that the so called advisors know what will happen. Index Grasshopper and relax.

I'm never sure what the advisors "really" know. I sure do wish I had listened to my Dad who kept telling me to buy Apple way back when they were well below $50. He did so ... and held his position.

Yeah, it's hard to tell what Apple is going to do. I sold off a few shares on 7/5/12, at $613 apiece, to rebalance a bit. Apple was getting to be too big of a chunk of my portfolio, so I wanted to trim it a bit.

I've owned Apple since early 2005. Originally bought in at $83.60 per share, but a few weeks later it did a 2:1 split. I bought a few more shares around $37 per share, and some more around $114. In late 2007, Apple briefly went to $200 per share, only to bottom out around $80-90 at the trough of the Great Recession. It was back up to around $200 by early 2010.

Wish I had thought to buy more when it bottomed out, but instead I bought some Nordstroms. It was down to around $10 per share, and it went up even quicker than Apple at the time, hitting around $38-40 by early 2010.

At this point, if Apple drops to around $525-550, I might buy a little more. And, if it goes up to around $650-675, I might sell a bit off. But, nothing too drastic.

Over the last 20 years or so, I've bought Apple every time it got really clobbered and was practically written off. When it got so high it made me nervous, I sold it and waited for the next bashing. This approach has made me quite a bit of profit over the years.

When it got up around 550 earlier this year, I sold most of my holding, but kept a bit.

Based on Tim Cook's comments about more "amazing" products in the pipeline, I would be inclined to say that if you don't already own some AAPL, now is probably as good a time as any to pick some up, assuming you like the company.

Can't remember any details about a report I heard last week on TV with Apple having developed some new combination router/streamer/cable box that will allow the user to stream any cable show just as you would Netflix. Wouldn't this be a change to cable TV? Also heard there is a lot of negotiating with cable companies as how to price the delivery of their programming. Only heard the one discussion on this and I believe it was on the HLN channel.

Can't remember any details about a report I heard last week on TV with Apple having developed some new combination router/streamer/cable box that will allow the user to stream any cable show just as you would Netflix. Wouldn't this be a change to cable TV? Also heard there is a lot of negotiating with cable companies as how to price the delivery of their programming. Only heard the one discussion on this and I believe it was on the HLN channel.
That's the Apple TV. We watch shows using Hulu+ on it. Many people use Netflix with it. It's all internet streaming. Also can be used to play music from your iPad or iPod Touch or laptop to your stereo, and to show videos and photos on your TV.

Many people are using boxes like this instead of cable TV.

That's the Apple TV. We watch shows using Hulu+ on it. Many people use Netflix with it. It's all internet streaming. Also can be used to play music from your iPad or iPod Touch or laptop to your stereo, and to show videos and photos on your TV.

Many people are using boxes like this instead of cable TV.

I guess that is what I heard about. The part that interested me is that I might someday be able to replace my Verizon bundled TV with an Apple TV and get any programming I want for less than what I'm paying. The report mentioned local programming availability. I'll have to look into the Apple TV. This may be part of the financial negotiating I'm hearing about.

Back
Top Bottom