Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Apple is paying $1.85 an hour average wage in Asia to get phones made and employees like to live in the plant in order to be available as many hours as possible, many Samsung phones are still made in Korea I wonder what the average pay discrepancy is, Samsung needs to get in on cutting their employee pay and increasing hours to industry standards!
Do you have links for that? I couldn't find anything that specific, and I'm interested.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

In a netshell... Apple is having a really difficult time selling outside of the US, because their expenses and model just doesn't translate to markets that don't run like the US marketing machine does. The rest of the world can't spend what we do for phones in order to create enough profit, and if Apple were to go after those Samsung markets they'd fail (and have been) because many of these countries are places where an iPhone costs more than a family spends in a few months to shelter and feed themselves.

So from a US perspective, Apple is huge and just on the verge of expanding globally (our thinking that Apple is awesome, because it works here, for us). The reality is that Apple is trying desperately to figure out how they can keep their brand in tact while going after these other markets without their US base recognizing "hey, why am I paying so much for the same phone you're selling overseas for a small fraction of the cost." That is their biggest risk... undercutting their cash cow at home, by trying to strike at Samsung globally.

This is where the C models entered the market a couple years ago. They try to keep those hush hush in the US.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Do you have links for that? I couldn't find anything that specific, and I'm interested.
Report: Apple Labor Practices Still Fall Short
http://anonhq.com/apple-pays-chinese...x-days-a-week/
Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #64

Actually they're targeting India, which requires companies to do assemblies in the country.

So they're looking at doing that for their SE models.

But India like China will eventually have a large number of people who have incomes comparable to upper middle-class households in the US.

Reason why Apple is so profitable is that they target the highest segments of the market only, do not try to play the low-priced game.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

The title of that article is false. Apple does not pay any workers in those China factories. Those China factories are Foxconn and Pegatron - they pay the workers. Those companies make consumer electronics such as tablets and laptops for nearly every company on the planet. Why is Apple singled out?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
The title of that article is false. Apple does not pay any workers in those China factories. Those China factories are Foxconn and Pegatron - they pay the workers. Those companies make consumer electronics such as tablets and laptops for nearly every company on the planet. Why is Apple singled out?
Apple Agrees to Labor Reforms After ‘Serious’ Foxconn Violations | TIME.com
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Not following the cell phone market at all, but some time last year I ran across an article mentioning Huawei and Xiaomi as the two Chinese domestic smartphone makers that were on the way up. Never heard of them before, because they have no visibility in the US.

Just now, saw an article in Bloomberg saying the most popular smartphones in China are now Oppo and Vivo. Who are these guys?

... Oppo and Vivo then developed a marketing-blitz approach that relied on local celebrity endorsement and a vast re-sellers’ store network across China. They crafted an affordable image that appealed to a millennial crowd, then tricked out their devices with high-end specs. On the surface, Oppo and Vivo phones now routinely surpass the iPhone on measures such as charging speeds, memory and battery life.

It paid off. The duo together shipped more than 147 million smartphones in China in 2016, dwarfing Huawei Technologies Co.’s 76.6 million units, Apple’s 44.9 million and Xiaomi’s 41.5 million, IDC estimates. Oppo and Vivo both doubled their 2015 haul. In the fourth quarter, they were No. 1 and No. 3, respectively -- Huawei was second.

In the fourth quarter, Oppo and Vivo were fourth and fifth in the world, respectively. About a quarter of Oppo’s shipments went to markets like India, where it hopes to dig in before Apple establishes a meaningful presence.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about expensive smartphones made me curious. So, I went to ATT Web site, my carrier, to see what they offer.

The 3 most expensive phones are: LG V20 for $830, Apple iPhone 7 Plus for $870, and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for $915. Good grief!

The Samsung Galaxy sports a octa-core CPU, while the other two have a mere quad core! What does that Galaxy do? It must be 2x smarter than the two lesser phones, though it weighs 2/3 as much as the others.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All this talk about expensive smartphones made me curious. So, I went to ATT Web site, my carrier, to see what they offer.

The 3 most expensive phones are: LG V20 for $830, Apple iPhone 7 Plus for $870, and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge for $915. Good grief!

The Samsung Galaxy sports a octa-core CPU, while the other two have a mere quad core! What does that Galaxy do? It must be 2x smarter than the two lesser phones, though it weighs 2/3 as much as the others.
Why would one buy an S6 Edge for $915 when you could buy an S7 Edge for $449?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Beats me. I only reported what ATT wanted to sell these phones for.

ATT Web store shows the S7 Edge at $695. It has a quad core instead of the cool octa-core. The memory is smaller at 32GB instead of 128GB. The S7 is one ounce heavier.

Later model number does not mean better with Samsung phones, I guess.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #71

Probably has to do with the specific specs, you can get an S7 with more memory, and that will be pricier. The S7 has 1.000 mAh more battery too. Bigger screen size (not a feature for me, for some it is).

Or a sweetheart deal on the S7. Who knows.