Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
WOW 1500%!! Congrats. And I thought I was proud of my 260%
Yea I feel guilty about not buying a Mac and Apple TV. 2 x iPads and 2 x iPhones will have to do. The 8 Plus is our first new iPhone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of my fears with keeping Apple in the coming months is the looming battle over tax reform. Apple has become a poster child for off shore sheltering. Though everyone does this, they seem to be bearing the brunt of this growing debate of corporate shell games. Hoping they stay away from the 'irrational' associations that may arise from being one of the biggest guys in this game.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
One of my fears with keeping Apple in the coming months is the looming battle over tax reform. Apple has become a poster child for off shore sheltering. Though everyone does this, they seem to be bearing the brunt of this growing debate of corporate shell games. Hoping they stay away from the 'irrational' associations that may arise from being one of the biggest guys in this game.
Huh? I don't think a single company can be targeted by tax law, and there is nothing in the proposal that I see to their detriment. They would benefit from the lower corporate tax rate and lower rate in repatriated assets just like all the other companies.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Huh? I don't think a single company can be targeted by tax law, and there is nothing in the proposal that I see to their detriment. They would benefit from the lower corporate tax rate and lower rate in repatriated assets just like all the other companies.
I was referencing the irrational aspect to investing... and the PR association of Apple (unfairly) being labeled as a villain in the game of tax sheltering - which is a sentiment that has started to creep up in the media.

Paradise Papers: Apple defends use of tax haven for overseas cash - Nov. 7, 2017

There is not a logical association to damage to Apples long term profitability... rather the intangible association of an American company getting labeled as (insert negative association here) due to their logical path of using the tax system to their advantage.

The fear is... suddenly some percentage of Apple support moving another direction because Apple is that guy who avoids taxes (a statement that's easy to respond to with and number of rebuttals: "Everyone does that", "as a shareholder of course I want them to do that!", etc...). Seeing a company as a human... is a very human thing to do. People love apple when it's rising, but a tide could easily swing the other way... and that could be very damaging. All large companies have PR sectors tracking these intangibles. Think Facebooks constant struggle to be at the center of our lives while walking this very fine line of collecting on it's users to make a profit through Ads... while hoping to sweep under the rug how they are for seemingly infultrating our lives in ways we don't even fully understand... ig... targeted Ads of things you want to see that you were just talking about to a friend 5 minutes ago (did they hear me through my mi on my phone? Did I give them permission to do that?). Apple is at a bigger risk here than I think many realize. Their ties have grown international and they are very much balancing this game of keeping their shareholders happy, as well as their customers. On this board, most are both (and I'd expect the focus to be on logical aspects of profitability; rather than on the PR aspects that ebb and flow)... but in the public sector, the vast majority of their profits coming from sales to people who aren't also shareholders. There isn't as much support for "nah, we love them!" ... people are more interested in the next best thing... and drama in a PR sense is addictive in the news and social media world. Only takes one bad association to start the snowball rolling. I see it as a risk... a hard one to effectively quantify, but one I think that'll play into the future prospects of Apple as it approaches first to cross the $1T valuation. They will become a media target... I think.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Well, that's been out there for quite a while already. Nothing new. Witness Apple's European tax hit in terms of their Ireland tax rate.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes I think that Europe represent a bigger issue than the US. Making and keeping money outside the US is pretty normal. Why the US thinks it may be unpatriotic is a mystery to me. Better to pursue the tax evaders like those in the Paradise Papers.

It costs AAPL because they have to borrow in the US to execute their dividend and buyback strategy.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold a bit recently after the bump up following earnings. I've been slowly selling off since since ER, including a larger chunk before moving from no state income tax to high state income tax. It had grown to nearly 25% of assets before ER, which was way too much. Almost down to 7% now.

Will probably hold the rest for a while, some of which was purchased back in late 2000.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
Not expecting $180 to come into play in the short term. I might move at $ 175 the 25% which are my "trading shares" bought around $150/shr. Too much cap gains in my "holding shares" with a cost basis under $8/shr.
Peaked above $176 this week.

You never know!