Join Early Retirement Today

Are stock/stock funds still attractive?
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are stock/stock funds still attractive?

Have you you changed your investment strategy, stayed the course?

I started putting new money into cash.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No change here....just rebalanced to my desired asset allocation. Cash from divs, cap gains, etc goes into MM fund to pay next year's expenses.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

No change in strategy. Still dollar cost averaging into high beta equities index and maintaining my target asset allocation if the actual allocation hits a control bar.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I keep a little cash around for buying on dips but I try to put new money to work. Cash is paying 0, the market is paying 30% to 40%.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Most folks here seem to stick to their established (or very slowly evolving) asset allocation and investment philosophy, so stay the course is likely the predominant view here. There are fewer market timers, the group your question targets.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Our cap gains and divs are reinvested. But besides emergency funds we're all in. Not sure how much it makes sense to put new contributions into mm, but I'm giving it a try anyway.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegs View Post
Have you you changed your investment strategy, stayed the course?

I started putting new money into cash.
I think investors who have a set asset allocation have been almost forced into putting new money into cash for several years now. I personally have not been a net buyer of stocks since the fall of 2009. The bull market has caused the stock portion of my portfolio to easily keep pace with the new savings I've put into fixed income investments. Roughly speaking, the rebalancing I did in 2010, 2011 and 2012 resulted in about as much selling as buying of stocks, whereas in 2013 I was a big net seller.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
I think investors who have a set asset allocation have been almost forced into putting new money into cash for several years now. I personally have not been a net buyer of stocks since the fall of 2009. The bull market has caused the stock portion of my portfolio to easily keep pace with the new savings I've put into fixed income investments. Roughly speaking, the rebalancing I did in 2010, 2011 and 2012 resulted in about as much selling as buying of stocks, whereas in 2013 I was a big net seller.
This makes sense. If your portfolio is rising faster than you are adding new money, then by default the new money is going to go into cash.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

I'm afraid I am one of those timer scumbags. More money than usual in cash...and have gone to a higher stock total than I wanted a few years ago. I think it is the right thing to do.....unless I am wrong
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Went from 65% to 60% stocks.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Am selectively closing positions in a few individual equities, based on valuations and some reducing earnings estimates.

Have moved a little new cash into a few non-leveraged Muni bond ETFs, but needing to look around for a few honest values in some beaten down sectors (i.e. have a little better long-term prospects than SHLD). Am tempted to deploy free cash into Emerging Markets/Int'l, but already have about 35%-40% of portfolio there...

I like to stay fully invested for the most part. Peter Lynch's quote keeps rining in my ear: "More money has been lost waiting for market corrections than in market corrections themselves".

Of course, that wouldn't have held true for the massive 50% drop in 2008/2009, when I thought about moving a large chunk to cash in 2007, but I'm hoping that we'll have another 20-30 year period before the next market crash of that magnitude.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've been moving some money from stocks that have run up a lot to some less expensive stocks. If there is a sell off, they seem less likely to fall as far as those with higher P/E ratios. I keep my equity/cash allocation pretty stable, but I move money when a company's price runs up too high or their fundamentals change. Fortunately I got rid of Target stock before this recent mess!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There are still a few dirt cheap stocks out there. Apple is pretty attractive at $530 as is Corning at $18. Cisco won't be going bankrupt and $22 doesn't look bad. All three of those are trading well below the S&P500 average PE and all three pay more dividends than the S&P500 average, have more cash than the S&P500 average, and some of the lowest payout ratios.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

....in any event, it may not be a bad idea to have some cash in your portfolio for when those opportunities show up...
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #15

No change in strategy, but since my AA is a bit out of whack, I am putting more new funds into bonds than stocks, to rebalance (instead of moving money around, as I am OK with rebalancing over a period of time). That is in my 401(k). New money in taxable continues to go into stocks.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who have to maintain a stock portfolio, there is always something to buy, either individual stocks or sector mutual fund.
I read some rec. Europe stocks.
Some rec. big value stocks like GE and WFC.
Some like DE, CAT, FCX INTC.
Just go slow folks!!!!
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #17

With the recent dip in the markets, my new contributions are going into a Developed market fund. an emerging market fund and a high dividend yield fund. When I'm up to my 45% equity level I'll probably switch new contributions to a SV fund.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

I changed my strategy and have gone from primarily Dividend Growth and value stocks to adding Growth stocks that have been beaten down or are just mis priced imo(maybe just value after all) . I've sold a few dividend stocks that just didn't have the dividend growth I want and have moved that money into Growth stocks.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #19
gone traveling

Anyone use the paid version of Morningstar for stock and fund analysis ? I am thinking about getting a subscription .
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneygrubber View Post
Anyone use the paid version of Morningstar for stock and fund analysis ? I am thinking about getting a subscription .
I do just for ease of information gathering. It's not inexpensive, but as an expense ratio addition it is miniscule for me. I subscribe for convenience since almost all of the information is available somewhere else if you look hard enough for it.