Are you getting ready to make major equity shifts?

How would you change your equities in the next month or so?

• Reduce by as much as -25%

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Reduce by as much as -50%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Reduce by as much as -75%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Reduce by as much as -100%

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Increase by as much as +25%

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Increase by as much as +50%

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Increase by as much as +75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Increase by as much as +100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will not make any changes

Votes: 168 82.8%

• Total voters
Ich habe keine angst.
No changes. Ok, no changes based on market sentiment. I am taking a monthly withdrawal from Wellington. Some time back I acquired some VWOB on spec. All docs go into MM fund. If everything goes to [emoji879]️, we will stop everything but RMDs and live on SS.

Last edited:
My range is 55 to 65. Currntly sits at 55. If we get to 50 buy limit order triggers. Not to get all the way back, of course.

Our range is 50-60. Currently sitting at 54.

"How would you change your equities in the next month or so?"

:blush:

wouldn't know how.

I never adjust the total equity concentration (other than as pre-planned part of a glide path) But I do change my allocation within the equity sector. I've sold lots and bought lots, shifting probably a third of the portfolio this year. Heading for a barbell strategy, fat and cheap dividends on one end and cruel risk and reward on the other. Not much in the middle.

Well not deliberately, but I'm attempting to transfer from IRAs to a 401k.

So in this day and age they send the funds by mail and they meander around for goodness knows how long as the market peaks and drops.

I am sticking with my current AA (40% equities) as that is the level I can sleep at night comfortably at times like these. It is coupled having enough cash to last until we choose to take SS so that the market does not impact our normal spending.

+1

Nominal increase (in equity) on my part which I made yesterday.

I had two fixed income investments (65k) come due during the past week in my tIRA(one was a callable CD.). I converted 17k to my Roth (and purchased VYM.)

I took 30k and reinvested in a 4 month CD, then I took the remaining 18k and split it within my IRA (SPHD and XLV.)

In essence, I took 65K in fixed investments and moved 35k to selected high dividend equities. My overall equities might be 33 or 34% of my Portfolio.

I

Yes. Went from 100% equities to 75% will likely reduce my equity position more. Sept-Oct can be volatile and I want to be prepared. If I am wrong and the correction doesn’t come so be it, I’ll miss out on some upside, but I feel better about taking some $$ off the table temporarily.

Your age is probably the biggest factor here. I'm 70 and currently at about a 60/40 mix. I'm staying the course. My adviser agreed.

Your age is probably the biggest factor here. ...
I disgree. All of the silly "subtract your age from xx ... " formulas do lead, IMO, people to believe this but I think the size of the portfolio relative to spending needs and the owner's goals should be the major factors.

For example, someone who has far more money than they will need and who wants to leave a large estate to fund trusts for beneficiaries might choose, like we have, to be at 75% equities or even higher. Someone who has just enough money if they spend carefully would be crazy to be at 75%. In either case this is independent of age.

For people in the middle, "typical" whatever that means, maybe the age-based formulas are good rules of thumb but my guess is they lead to conclusions that might be different if the big picture was thoughtfully considered.

At 66 I have been in Vanguard health fund sense it started. I think with everyone wanting to change health care it might be time to move it,

I was thinking that I'd sell everything and put in money mm. with 2% I'd make 2000 a month, with SS at 2200 a month an a pension of 800 a month I'd make about $60000 a year. Id only need to pay tax on 48000 which would be in the 12% tax bracket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom