Join Early Retirement Today

Avoiding Fidelity's transaction fee on TICRX
Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Avoiding Fidelity's transaction fee on TICRX

I'm likely buying TICRX, fee or not, but Fidelity says:

Quote:
...The FundsNetwork(R) mutual fund you selected to trade does not participate in the No Transaction Fee program. Fidelity will charge a transaction fee each time you buy or exchange shares of FundsNetwork(R) transaction fee funds. For additional information, see the commission schedule on Fidelity's web site.
The estimated transaction fee is $49.95. I currently only have an account with Fidelity. Should I buy this particular mutual fund elsewhere? Where?
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks like a proprietary fund for TIAA CREF. That's probably why. You can check similar funds that are no fee. It looks like it tracks the Russell 3000. You can even just buy a low cost ETF.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

I actually worked for them part time a long time ago. I don't suppose that would help me.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #4

When you research funds at Fidelity, you can select just those with no transaction fee if you want. Just be aware that out of over 10,000 funds offered, only about 3,500 have no transaction fee. That's still a lot.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I actually worked for them part time a long time ago. I don't suppose that would help me.
It might hurt you. LOL.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When you research funds at Fidelity, you can select just those with no transaction fee if you want. Just be aware that out of over 10,000 funds offered, only about 3,500 have no transaction fee. That's still a lot.
ITOT is no commission, no fee and is similar.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
ITOT is no commission, no fee and is similar.
On December 1 TICRX nosedived relative to the S&P and hasn't recovered. Even without knowing the details I'm taking that as a bit of an indication that the price is low. Plus it's a socially responsible fund and it's rated a "buy" by a couple of websites that I pay attention to, which doesn't happen so often, and has generally good reviews.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sure ask for the former employee discount.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
On December 1 TICRX nosedived relative to the S&P and hasn't recovered. Even without knowing the details I'm taking that as a bit of an indication that the price is low.
No, it's completely irrelevant. When a fund makes a distribution (dividends, cap gains) it's per-share price drops an equivalent amount.

Boho, you really, seriously, need to do some reading on investing. Go to the Bogleheads site and just start reading from their great resources.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
No, it's completely irrelevant. When a fund makes a distribution (dividends, cap gains) it's per-share price drops an equivalent amount.
Without recovering over time? It hasn't recovered. It dropped about 7% and I read that distrubutions are made once or twice per year. It doesn't lose 7+% per year without recovering. I'm not saying I know how it works exactly but my interpretation of what you're saying doesn't sound right.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Without recovering over time? It hasn't recovered. It dropped about 7% and I read that distrubutions are made once or twice per year. It doesn't lose 7+% per year without recovering. I'm not saying I know how it works exactly but my interpretation of what you're saying doesn't sound right.
The NAV is somewhat meaningless. The fund is just about at its high for the year and had a 22% 1 year return. It is not low.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cool. Just go with your interpretation. Couldn't be wrong, could it?

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Cool. Just go with your interpretation. Couldn't be wrong, could it?

Ha
The solution to being unable to break things down so a novice could understand is to either learn to do so or avoid dealing with novices, not being an ass.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #14

And another "Thank You" to the forum owners for incorporating the handy "Add ____ to Your Ignore List" feature.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The solution to being unable to break things down so a novice could understand is to either learn to do so or avoid dealing with novices, not being an ass.
Yep, works both ways.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #16

The Fidelity fee only applies to purchases. Sales (and auto-reinvested distribution buys) are free. So if you are planning to buy a large block of shares now and hold them that should work out fine for you. If your plan is to buy several times a year to build up to your desired level then I'd select a different fund or find a brokerage that carries it without a fee.

As to the fund itself, a decline in December without a recovery is very likely to be a dividend/capital gains distribution. It is actually hard to find performance charts that adjust for distributions (as if you reinvested the distributions instead of just threw them away). Compare funds in the Fidelity mutual fund compare tool to see the adjusted gains over various periods. Morningstar.com is another site that will have that info. Without those adjustments, price charts are almost useless.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #17

Quote:
On December 1 TICRX nosedived relative to the S&P and hasn't recovered. Even without knowing the details I'm taking that as a bit of an indication that the price is low. Plus it's a socially responsible fund and it's rated a "buy" by a couple of websites that I pay attention to, which doesn't happen so often, and has generally good reviews.
As others have commented, there was a distribution of over $1 a share in December which accounts for the drop at that time. You'd have to add the amount of that distribution (1.059) back to the current per share price to get some idea of its actual performance over the past year. Morningstar rates it average. Better choices might be PRBLX or VSLPX. If you still want it, TDAmeritrade has it for no transaction fee.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Boho, you really, seriously, need to do some reading on investing. Go to the Bogleheads site and just start reading from their great resources.
+1
For your own benefit please read. You are where all of us were sometime, save yourself the learning with my own money education many of us endured.

Look at a simple portfolio of low cost index funds, Google "couch potato portfolio" and read. In the intro section there's a suggested reading list, pick up one or two books.

You're trying to time the market, that generally ends poorly. Go read how to invest! That's how to retire.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
PRBLX
That's actually a socially responsible fund too. I think that's my new choice. I wasn't looking for any particular kind of fund, just socially responsible and good performance, and I'd adjust how much I buy based on other details.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1
For your own benefit please read.
I searched pretty hard for a good, basic book on investing but just like with the better internet forums, they tend to be special interest books. I bought one though. A Random Walk Down Wall Street. But I feel like I get the point without even opening it. I wonder if it even mentions this issue with the distributions and the problems with the charts.

Instead of those worthless disclaimers in prospectus' about the fact that you may lose money, there should be a disclaimer under these charts I've been reading that don't account for distributions.