Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are the big boys buying 10000 shares.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, I'm counting (hoping) on the dividend staying in place especially if BAC nudges back to mid $30's. So yeah, it's a gamble. I will hold long term if BAC lingers low $30's but will sell (in IRA) if it bounces to $37.20.
Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And what if it drops quickly into the twenties or teens?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #24

bought 700 shares of BAC last week...shoulda got a few more. Trying to build an income stream from munis and divvies. At 8.9% yield, thats not bad...if the principal doesn't erode. I think over time the stock will go back up. The question is: how much time? Had some WB from before, DCAing in at lower prices, but it keeps sinking.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think others have already mentioned that this might be a dollar cost average buying opportunity. I'd buy more, and in the teens, much more.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #26

all these stupid bankers and hedge fund managers not buying BAC. all the money they can make borrowing at 1% in some country and buying BAC just for the dividend
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Doesn't Mr Market climb the wall of "Worry Warts"?
Could there be any action such as a BAC and WB merger in play?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf View Post
Actually, I'm counting (hoping) on the dividend staying in place especially if BAC nudges back to mid $30's. So yeah, it's a gamble. I will hold long term if BAC lingers low $30's but will sell (in IRA) if it bounces to $37.20.
What would you do at $37.10?

This plan tells me that you are looking for $5-7, and risking who knows what in that quest?

Wow!

Quote:
bought 10,000 shares today at 30.19, so it's bound to go to $15.10. Luckily I almost never lose more than half.
I hope you have a few more $300,000 packs wherever that one came from.

Ha
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
all these stupid bankers and hedge fund managers not buying BAC. all the money they can make borrowing at 1% in some country and buying BAC just for the dividend
The dividend is likely to be cut. Not guaranteed, but likely. On the bright side, an expectation of a dividend cut is partially priced in, so hopefully it won't drop too much if/when it's cut. Also, even if the dividend is cut in half, the yield will still be solid (it's just over 9% currently).

I don't own any BAC (have some WFC... not much better), but I've been watching it.
Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #30

At this point I would sooner buy GE (4.3% yield) as I have far more confidence in their dividend safety.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What would you do at $37.10?

This plan tells me that you are looking for $5-7, and risking who knows what in that quest?

Wow!

I hope you have a few more $300,000 packs wherever that one came from.

Ha
Actually, I'm hoping to hold BAC longterm as I suspect any dividend cut upcoming has already been priced in. And if I am correct, the dividend cut should be 30-40%. Still a nice dividend. A cut to 5-6% at todays $28.20 (new 52 week low) would not surprise me at all.

An yeah, a few more packs in the fridge. And all in Index funds.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

WOW! $27.50 and sinking.....I don't feel so good....

Wish I has some of that $$$ Enuf has in his freezer.....although, I haven't been so lucky so far.....

Opportunity time, YEAH I know....but is it the last opportunity to sell (aka Bear Sterns) or the buying opportunity of my lifetime....

Where's the earlier poster (here or in bank stock post) who predicted an $18-19 bottom....technical analysis geeks - what say you??

Now where did I put that Magic 8 Ball??
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #33

maybe the people in the know on wall street have advance warning that the countrywide buyout is going to blow up?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

VACollector, I know the feeling. I'm playing with my mad money but darn, even losing the mad money seems maddening.

Looks like most of the banks are taking the same beating but what is behind that. Another major financial in big trouble and not in the news yet?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #35

there are rumors that Lehman Brothers is in big trouble and may be insolvent. a hot shot hedge fund manager who has been right a lot of times even has a huge short bet on them.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuf View Post
(June 16): I bought 10,000 shares today at 30.19.
Quote:
(June 19): I'm playing with my mad money but darn, even losing the mad money seems maddening.
Folks, give it up now for the new Big Swinging D. of ER.org.

I guess that is why it is called Mad Money. I know I would be plenty mad if I lost anything like this.

Ha
Old 06-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually have my sell point set at $5/share, so the "mad" part of that $300k is more like $50k. Yeah, it will make me mad but a $50k loss won't effect my portfolio enough to affect my lifestyle.
More Trouble Predicted For BAC, Other Banks
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

More Trouble Predicted For BAC, Other Banks

Large U.S. banks' stocks in capitulation mode: Merrill: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

I think this guy makes a good point. I don't remember many instances where a stock gets significantly diluted and current shareholders don't experience some loss. True, it reduces risk of failure, but you also own less of the company than before.

Often there are other equities almost as depressed as the ones at risk for offerings. These IMO are a better bet.

Ha
Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #39

My stock purchases are mostly dividend plays. I sold some appreciated Dominion Resources (D) shares this morning and bought more BAC with the proceeds. I figured that even if BAC is forced to cut their dividend in half, I will still be better off in terms of dividend income. I expect to hold the BAC shares long term.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #40

Calculated Risk: S&P Research Downgrades BofA