Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never fully trusted bank stocks. If there is one industry that has mastered the art of painting pretty pictures with their books, it would be the banking industry.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
how do we know who has a clean portfolio? last year everyone was saying they don't expect write down's
Its not real hard to tell. Go look at Q4 earnings reports. If you see a big write-down or a high/rising % of NPAs, they have asset quality issues of some sort. If not, they are clean.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #203

what about all the off-balance sheet stuff the banks hold?
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
how do we know who has a clean portfolio? last year everyone was saying they don't expect write down's
Look at what they have allocated for writeoffs, their non-performing asset/loans and their accruing but delinquent loans. Look to see the overall levels of non-performing loans, the rate of increase from period-to-period and whether the amounts allocated for losses appear to be reasonably sufficient to cover the non-performing loans. I think some banks are overallocating for losses as a CYA and will eventually recapture some of it later.

That said, no one can accurately predict whether huge macroeconomic problems will arise that will dramatically change what constitute reasonable assumptions today.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #205

off-topic, but some 5 years ago when i was buying my place i called BAC first for a mortgage. they said no way since i had an open collection on one of my credit reports. then i heard countrywide only checked one report and in some cases it was your choice. called them next and asked them to check Experian, problem solved and had me a mortgage
Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
what about all the off-balance sheet stuff the banks hold?
Mostly an issue with the megabanks. If you are sticking to midsize and community banks, they are highly unlikely to have significant off balance sheet stuff aside from lending commitments (HELOCs, revolvers, etc.) that are pretty ho-hum. All of them are required to discuss off balance sheet exposures in the notes to the financial statements.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #207
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brewer, how are you feelin' about KRE these days ??
JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Maybe masonry is still falling from buildings?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Maybe masonry is still falling from buildings?

WSJ, Monday February 11, 1:24 pm ET

AIG Shares Tumble on Concerns the Insurer Will Report Further Losses From Investment Portfolio

NEW YORK (AP) -- Shares of American International Group Inc. hit a new 52-week low Monday after the insurer said in a regulatory filing that auditors have found material weakness in how it reports the value of certain credit default swaps, raising concerns that the company will report further losses.

Shares plunged $5.93, or 11.7 percent, to $44.75 in morning trading. Shares hit a new annual low of $44.52 earlier in the session. In the past 12 months, shares have traded between $49.40 and $72.97.
In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, AIG said it would need to alter the way it values credit default swaps involving collateralized debt obligations. CDOs are funds that contain slices of bonds, some of which are backed by mortgages.
AIG said it has not yet determined the amount of the decline in fair value of its credit default swap portfolio that will be included in its fourth-quarter financial statements because of difficult market conditions.
Additionally, AIG said its independent auditors have concluded that AIG "had a material weakness in its internal control over financial reporting and oversight" relating to how it valued its credit default swap portfolio.
Losses in AIG's investment portfolio, credit-swap portfolio and mortgage-insurance business added up to about $1.4 billion, and caused net income to fall by 27 percent in the third quarter.

Back in August, AIG called exposure to subprime debt "minimal." In November, it maintained that despite some losses due to mortgage-backed bonds, its exposure to the debt remains "high quality," with "substantial protection."

From a different angle, Friday I listened to a CC by Resource America, who among other things packages and resells CDOs. They have completely de-emphasized that part of their business, and absorbed some losses to close their warehouse credit facilities and sell the underlying portfolios.

So I sure don't know, but it looks like either people don't know what lies out there waiting for them, or they are being forced by their auditors to stop lying.

Ha
Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
I've never fully trusted bank stocks. If there is one industry that has mastered the art of painting pretty pictures with their books, it would be the banking industry.
True enough. On the other hand they also have mastered the art of ensuring that those who control the monetary policy (i.e. central banks, the Feds etc.) are good friends and often former execs. I think that if there is any industry most likely to recieve a government bailout it is the banks.

I am content to collect my 5-7% dividends while waiting for the situation to sort itself out.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #210

so i used the Yahoo stock screener to do a search for regional banks with a ROE over 10%. i got back like 5 names.

slim pickings
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #211
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
so i used the Yahoo stock screener to do a search for regional banks with a ROE over 10%. i got back like 5 names.

slim pickings
Weird I did the same screen with the M* screener trailing 12 month ROE >= 10 stock type=regional bank. I got 238 stocks too many to pick from.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #212

it'll be another week or so, but we might be seeing a bottom forming in bank stocks. they are down today, but the volume isn't very high
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #213
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you saying Jan. 18 wasn't a bottom? Or, a new, lower bottom starting next week?

KRE & KBE ETFs compared.

-CC
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #214

did a quick scan of bac, c and some other bank stocks and saw that the volume was about half of average volume on a big down day. didn't look at the etf's

i'd reserve judgement until late next week though. the january downturn started on light volume and then volume exploded. and ambac just gave us a weekend surprise

ps this is crazy, i checked the volume early afternoon and it's half of average volume. checked it again just now and the bank stocks are above average volume. someone had to leak the ambac thing and that was a lot of financial shares sold in the last 60-90 minutes of trading
Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #215

With the bank stocks revisting their lows this is a very bad sign for the stock market. If this group cannot rally in the aftermath of the Federal Reserve abandoning the dollar on their behalf, the outlook is very poor for the group. I will be very interested to see what sort of follow through comes through next week.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #216

For this to be a bottom, you'd have to assume that there will be no more negative surprises. I don't think we've seen the bottom yet. Maybe after the LBO debt starts defaulting.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you feel BAC will go below 33 again? It would have been great to have bought it previously and then made 10 points or so on it, but then if I had a crystal ball I would be very wealthy.

It seems my fears of the economy have only become worse: national and personal debt, oil prices, low dollar, inflation, China.

I sold several mutual funds this summer and while I am only making 4% or so on the money, it is better than my mutual funds have done. I wished I had sold them all.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #218

just looked at it and i think it will most likely fall again although if i was shorting it, i would wait until wednesday or so to see how it plays out.

for all you chart people, it looks like a reversal head and shoulders but looks like it's failing. ditto for the bank etf

and for bac you had this 41-42 level that was acting as support for the last few weeks and now it's breached on heavy volume no less. i think it will fall to the 33-36 level at the minimum

fundamentally i don't see a rally in bank stocks until foreclosures peak and all the writedowns become unearned revenue or whatever they call it when previously written down assets increase in value and you need to account for it. and i don't think we've seen the last of the acronyms yet. we've seen subprime, SIV, ARS, CLO, CDO, ABS and now CDS is finally coming out to show itself
Old 03-05-2008, 06:39 AM   #219

forward PE on Citi just shot up
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

I have been buying local regionals like ASBC, MI, and BKMU. I think they are on sale,and have gotten ripped by the big boy's problems. The stock prices will come back once the subprime thing works its way out. besides, I never was good at calling bottoms anyway.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote