Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Growth (!?!?) of $10,000: KBW Regional Banking Index Through Feb 2008 Dividend Yield4.13%

Quote:
Note to the technicians and the Bollinger Boys - KRE doublebottomed recently.

KBW Regional Bank ETF Making a Double Bottom? - Seeking Alpha

Time to pick me up some...
The author is claiming it is a 6 percent yield, the yield of the securities as of last night is actually 4.13 percent. The 6 percent yield is probably considering the payout of the Synovous Financial subsidiary which was distributed as cash to shareholders as a dividend instead of return of capital which is what it was.

KRE continues to make lower highs. The top in KRE after the latest Fed action was 39.71 versus 41.93 for the December Fed action on December 12th when it was thought the FED was going to make KRE a buy (KRE is down 13.6 percent since then) :
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eze-31811.html

Until KRE rallies to a higher high over the 200 day average I see no confirmation of an uptrend. However for anyone willing to play the KRE falling knife game with KRE at 35.07 you could buy the ETF with a stop at 31.75 risking about 10 percent loss for a potential gain of 20 percent plus if the bank stocks are actually going to turn around and exceed their December highs. Personally I find the 2-1 odds on that play unattractive myself but an understandable risk.

I will continue to await my 26-28 price range.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #262

this richard howard guy doesn't know what he is talking about

first no person who is into technical analysis uses the regular line chart, we all use candlesticks

second the supposed second bottom is not a bottom and too high to make it a real double bottom

third kre just bounced off another resistance line a few days ago and is now heading back down
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM   #263

XLF back under the 50 day line, way under
Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #264

this technical analysis thing doesn't work, we had a double bottom
Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
this technical analysis thing doesn't work, we had a double bottom
So did the lady in front of me at the grocery store last night
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #266

CFC deal approved
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #267
Recycles dryer sheets

Is anyone taking a look at WB? I was considering it in the 12-13 dollar range perhaps closer to the next earnings report - or after.

I would guess they have to cut their div again and will take another loss.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #268
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Is anyone taking a look at WB? I was considering it in the 12-13 dollar range perhaps closer to the next earnings report - or after.

I would guess they have to cut their div again and will take another loss.
I would like to say no but I'm sure DVY owns this piece of crap. And I own DVY.

WB: Summary for WACHOVIA CP - Yahoo! Finance
Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I would like to say no but I'm sure DVY owns this piece of crap. And I own DVY.

WB: Summary for WACHOVIA CP - Yahoo! Finance

At what point is DVY going to be throwing out financial stocks that don't meet the dividend criteria? It would seem with 1/2 of their stocks in the financial sector that many will not meet their stated investment criteria and be replaced? I wonder how often they do that?

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

WB to 5? Some of these bank stocks are going to be good long term holds at some point. lol
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #271

i'm watching the charts every few days

usually you will see the average daily price for the last month or so start to trend up while it's still dropping. once that happens it's either a short covering rally, or the pro's buying in while trying to scare the sheeple on CNBC and in the print media

seeing this in BAC and JPM seems to be stabilizing
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #272
Recycles dryer sheets

So you guys buying KRE at $22 - dropping 5-10% everyday now. Though the temptation to wait longer is always there

-h
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #273

I bought KRE starting at 44 and kept buying all the way down to 26, I give up but I'm holding.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

I bought KBE at $26 and change this past Friday. Apparently 2 days too soon though. Catching falling knives can be hard. If I had more money to throw into this puppy (or KRE) I'd be doing it, but I'm already 100% equities.

Anyone else jumping on the KRE/KBE bandwagon at these prices?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

The problem I have with KBE is it contains too many potential IndyMac banks.
I prefer individual issues like ASBC which although missing earning still earned more .37 than its dividend .32 while increase loan loss reserves. Or BB&T which raises its dividend last month for the 37 consecutive year. Of course even relatively conservative banks like Wells Fargo are being trashed. I'd just like to think (or is more like hope and pray) when the dust is settled the banks that stuck with sound banking principals will still be standing with higher market share, while the IndyMacs are buried with the rest of the toxic waste.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #276

a lot of regionals have a lot of CRE exposure

there was a story last week about how Steve and Barry's going chap 11 is bad for malls. apparently malls gave money to Steve and Barry's to fund it's expansion. they were supposed to pay it back through rent. now they won't.

retail sales are pretty bad. i'm seeing discounts i haven't seen since 2001 and 2002. two weeks ago bought me 2 pairs of Ecco shoes at Nordstrom for $200. Last year they were $150 each or more. Now i have to work on replacing most of my 5 year old designer jeans
Old 07-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Sweet day to own good quality banks stocks.
WFC 27.23 +6.72
BAC 22.67 +4.15
BBT 24.50 +4.68

Wells raised its dividend by 10% and the chairman (and long-time CEO) bought a $1 million dollars worth recently. That makes three banks stocks that I own that have continued to raise dividends in the worse banking crisis in a generation.

There will probably be a bit of a sell off tomorrow but who knows.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Sweet day to own good quality banks stocks.
WFC 27.23 +6.72
BAC 22.67 +4.15
BBT 24.50 +4.68

Wells raised its dividend by 10% and the chairman (and long-time CEO) bought a $1 million dollars worth recently. That makes three banks stocks that I own that have continued to raise dividends in the worse banking crisis in a generation.
I probably own too much WFC (darn thing kept splitting and going up in the 80's and 90's) and I have hated selling it as I go along, but I have too much exposure. If I could find ten more companies just like Wells I wouldn't even look at the stock market except once a year.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

However much WFC you own, be assured that Buffett own more!

I am short puts on WFC at 27.50 so I kinda of hope it hangs around this level for a while.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #280
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I probably own too much WFC (darn thing kept splitting and going up in the 80's and 90's) and I have hated selling it as I go along, but I have too much exposure. If I could find ten more companies just like Wells I wouldn't even look at the stock market except once a year.
A real nice problem to have.

-CC