Join Early Retirement Today

Bank Stocks
Old 08-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bank Stocks

What is everyones opinion on bank stocks? With all the subprime fears it seams like bank stocks have been drivin down. For example one of the local banks (Huntington Bank HBAN $16.97 div $1.06) around me price has dropped now itsdividend yield is 6.2%. Key Bank (KEY) $33.22 div $1.46 yield 4.4% National City $26.55 DIV $1.64 Yield 6.1%. These are just a few. Anyone think this could be a good source of income?
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bank stocks in general are an amazing bargain, IMO. You can pick single names if you like, or you can just buy KRE, a regional bank ETF.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You may want to take a look at BTO. It's a CEF that specializes in the Banking industry. Pays a 13% Div.!!! Please do your own DD. Full disclosure, I own this CEF.
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bank stocks have done well for me. Presently have KEY.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
These are just a few. Anyone think this could be a good source of income?
When I first started investing I let my then adviser talk me into WFC. I don't think they were paying a dividend back then, or it wasn't much of one if they were. I wasn't in love with it when I bought it but I had a lot of trust in the woman advising me and she was really a believer. So I went with it, but just a couple of hundred shares. It just sat there in my portfolio for years before I noticed that it had slowly been gaining share price, was paying a dividend and split. It's steadily grown, split and increased the dividend over the years to where it's the biggest single issue in my portfolio and by far the biggest source of dividend income. I love it - best thing I ever got talked into decision I ever made. I hate the fact that I have to make some sales to trim it's size in the portfolio, but even with this consistent winner I don't think it's wise to have too many eggs in one basket.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The Norwegian widow has: BAC(bought as Fleet Boston), JPMorgan, Citigroup(bought as ??) and UBS - Ag(Paine Webber). Also a tad of Suntrust(STI).

heh heh heh - she likes those dividends!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #7

I have been a shareholder of National City for some time and have been adding...6%+ qualified dividends sounds good to me...
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What is everyones opinion on bank stocks? With all the subprime fears it seams like bank stocks have been drivin down. For example one of the local banks (Huntington Bank HBAN $16.97 div $1.06) around me price has dropped now itsdividend yield is 6.2%. Key Bank (KEY) $33.22 div $1.46 yield 4.4% National City $26.55 DIV $1.64 Yield 6.1%. These are just a few. Anyone think this could be a good source of income?
Huntington Bank is one of the best run banks in the US...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Administrator

I just bought Barclays (BCS). Now that they have lost the battle for ABN Amro, I expect that they will recover some of the swoon in share price that occurred after they started their campaign for ABN. Right now, the dividend exceeds 5.5% and they have share buyback authorization exceeding $3 billion by the end of the year. A major global player with earnings largely outside the US, so it is a hedge on the dollar. I think the suspicions around their potential trading losses is overblown. Finally, during the last several months, this stock has been heavily shorted. If the trend reverses strongly with this news and the shorts need to cover, there could be a nice pop ahead.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

BCS is probably a good choice. Just never gets cheap enough for a dirty bottom fisher like me.

BTW, the market seems to have decided banks aren't so bad after all. Lately, even banks that announce big write-offs from mortgage nonsense are going up. Not a bad sign for those of us who took the plunge and bought.

- George Orwell

Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just bought Barclays (BCS). Now that they have lost the battle for ABN Amro, I expect that they will recover some of the swoon in share price that occurred after they started their campaign for ABN. Right now, the dividend exceeds 5.5% and they have share buyback authorization exceeding $3 billion by the end of the year. A major global player with earnings largely outside the US, so it is a hedge on the dollar. I think the suspicions around their potential trading losses is overblown. Finally, during the last several months, this stock has been heavily shorted. If the trend reverses strongly with this news and the shorts need to cover, there could be a nice pop ahead.
I bought it on 9/10 at 47.51/sh. I wasn't expecting a quick rebound like we have seen, but I will take it. S & P still has it rated a strong buy with a $67 target. Nice dividend too.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
(Huntington Bank HBAN $16.97 div $1.06) price has dropped now itsdividend yield is 6.2%. Key Bank (KEY) $33.22 div $1.46 yield 4.4% National City $26.55 DIV $1.64 Yield 6.1%. Anyone think this could be a good source of income?
Like the robot in "Lost in Space" would say "DANGER! DANGER!" .

All of the above may well be good values , BUT the div and yeild will very likely return to the avg. for the sector very soon. If wall street was convinced the yeild will continue , the share prices would not be so far beaten down. I'm no stock wizzard , but I have bought stocks in the past for the reasons in your post and I got some expensive lessons.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #13

Added to my bank stocks yesterday. I bought some WM. aka WaMu. Also added to my NCT position.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Since your post Key is down 9% HBAN is flat and National City is down 8%. Didn't like Bank Stocks then don't like them now. There is so little known about the values of their portfolios and what the ultimate outcome will be for home prices. If you believe everything is now fine and the Fed will just lower rates to let banks print money and we can just pick up where we were a year ago I can see where these would look appealing.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Since your post Key is down 9% HBAN is flat and National City is down 8%. Didn't like Bank Stocks then don't like them now. There is so little known about the values of their portfolios and what the ultimate outcome will be for home prices. If you believe everything is now fine and the Fed will just lower rates to let banks print money and we can just pick up where we were a year ago I can see where these would look appealing.
Maybe such speculations are not for you.

At the moment, people hates them some bank stocks. History suggests this will not always be the case.

- George Orwell

Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Maybe such speculations are not for you.

At the moment, people hates them some bank stocks. History suggests this will not always be the case.
And when many are paying 5% plus dividends, not so hard to hold while the blood is still flowing on the streets.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I am definitely in for the long haul.....these times where we give back in 2-3 days all that we have gained in the last 2 weeks....is quite disheartening

If there IS a silver lining it would have to be that my rate of dividend yield is increasing .....but I have to admit that I would rather see the yield fall and the stock prices go up and STAY up!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Patience, grasshopper. Wait for the Fed cuts to continue and work their magic.

- George Orwell

Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Patience, grasshopper. Wait for the Fed cuts to continue and work their magic.
thanks for the encouragement Kimosabe ....I can't wait until I can actually say ~ "You told me so!"
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Friedman, Billings, Ramsey
Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Friedman, Billings, Ramsey

Big article about FBR in yesterdays's paper.......I may jump in for a small taste, but would like to see a bit more yield (5% dividend)

washingtonpost.com
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote