Join Early Retirement Today

Berkshire Hathaway
Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Berkshire Hathaway

An interesting quote from a article about the succession plan at Berkshire Hathaway-

Here are Warren Buffett's exact words from the 2014 Berkshire Hathaway annual letter on why he wants his son Howard to be a non-executive chairman at Berkshire:

"To further ensure continuation of our culture, I have suggested that my son, Howard, succeed me as a non-executive chairman. My only reason for this wish is to make change easier if the wrong CEO should ever be employed and there occurs a need for the chairman to move forcefully. I can assure you that this problem has a very low probability of arising at Berkshire -- likely as low as at any public company. In my service on the boards of 19 public companies, however, I've seen how hard it is to replace a mediocre CEO if that person is also chairman. (The deed usually gets done, but almost always very late.)

If elected, Howard will receive no pay and will spend no time at the job other than that required of all directors. He will simply be a safety valve to whom any director can go if he or she has concerns about the CEO and wishes to learn if other directors are expressing doubts as well. Should multiple directors be apprehensive, Howard's chairmanship will allow the matter to be promptly and properly addressed."

See the entire article here:

Why Warren Buffett's Son Isn't Berkshire's Heir Apparent - DailyFinance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perfectly reasonable decision- Howard is a farmer, passionate about working with developing countries to improve their agriculture. Why would he want to get an office job? OTOH, he probably does share his father's values and have a feel for what he would and would not want B-H to do.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Good, WB is correct in those companies where the CEO is also Chairman it is practically impossible to remove the CEO, while the CEO rapidly enriches himself via outsized options and bonuses, plus free usage of company jet etc..
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote