Join Early Retirement Today

Best financial sites....
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Best financial sites....

Over the last few months I Have spent a Quite a bit of time reading about
the Financial markets and have found the amount of news/Info available just overwhelming ,Would really like to get my morning routine down to about Five sites I read every day and move on.....What's everyone's favorite sites
Ryan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.
+1. For knowledge, there's the bogleheads forum and this forum. For market timing, stock picking propaganda, just turn on the boob tube to any of the so called financial channels. For bullsh!t and lies, any of the big FA web sites will gladly blow smoke up your ass and call it advice.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #4

These are not really daily readers. But, they provide a good base of information on index investing and early retirement.

Jason Zweig's Blog
Jonathan Clement's Blog
The Retire Early Home Page
Larry Swedroe's Blog
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
+2
Old 12-14-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
+3
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+4
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like these on a selective basis:

Bloomberg Europe - particularly the "markets" articles
https://www.bloomberg.com/markets

Morningstar - occasional useful fund articles
Morningstar – Independent Investment Research

CNBC - be very selective on this one. Note on different devices you get different experiences. Best on PC.
https://www.cnbc.com/world/?region=world

also this blog by Carlson: http://awealthofcommonsense.com/
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

As some have indicated, many on this forum establish an appropriate asset allocation (depends on the individual) and then they invest in low cost index funds. Other than possible rebalancing of the funds periodically, they take no other investment action. Accordingly, daily financial updates are considered to be a distraction at a minimum and at worst a detriment to sound investing.

The Boblehead's reading list includes a long list of books that review these topics and why this is a sound way to invest. One of my favorite investing books is, The Four Pillars of Investing, by William Bernstein.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy looking at the sector maps on FinViz to see which sectors are moving - https://finviz.com/map.ashx

and I also look over the primary page and my portfolio news on SeekingAlpha https://seekingalpha.com/

And finally I look at M*Star
Morningstar – Independent Investment Research

I don't have much use for the major media financial news
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

morningstar, I like Christina's articles. I like the market outlook vids they do.

google finance, to follow, (and mostly ignore) news related to my holdings and possible future holdings. I have a watch-list but this will all supposedly go away. I don't invest based on news output.

Percentage calculator - cuz I dont like doing long-hand math

FIRECalc, and other calculator sites although use with a grain of salt, especially tax planning calculators.

Vanguard.com - Seriously, a lot of good articles and info
Old 12-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #12

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/ posts fresh links daily to significant financial news and opinions.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan75 View Post
Over the last few months I Have spent a Quite a bit of time reading about
the Financial markets and have found the amount of news/Info available just overwhelming ,Would really like to get my morning routine down to about Five sites I read every day and move on.....What's everyone's favorite sites

If your indexer you can go to bogleheads.org. Not much to discuss about it really. In general they are religiously dogmatic and will shut down any discussion that deviates from their belief system.

If you want to have fun and be able to discuss any idea, even hair brained ideas, without the thought police jumping in then I suggest seekingalpha.com.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Wow, tough crowd! Like the OP, I like to at least check things out and see what's going on in the financial world. I invest in index funds and stick to it, but it is nice to get an idea on what's happening in a broader sense.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow, tough crowd! Like the OP, I like to at least check things out and see what's going on in the financial world. I invest in index funds and stick to it, but it is nice to get an idea on what's happening in a broader sense.
I think that many on the ER site feel like you do. Over the years it is good to get some financial sense of what drove historical changes in stocks/bonds.

Does not mean you can predict anything going forward. But sometimes markets go extreme. Maybe Bitcoin is a current example but with markets there are always two sides to the trade.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

It is a tough crowd was basically saying " what do you all read about while having your Cup of coffee in the Morning" I posted it while I was having mine.
Yes I read almost strictly financial sites,anything major happens they get a hold of it and report it,and Yes I have a decent sized portfolio that follows asset allocation, but I also have a little gambling money set aside,just in case.( I don't care for Vegas!)
Ryan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like financial TV shows where the host yells a lot and waves his arms. Really helps me zero in on my financial strategy.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #18

Barron's
Wall Street Journal
The Economist
New York Times
Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I like reading the articles from Michael Kitces on retirement planning and investing. The other websites are Darrow Kirkpatrick's site -- Can I Retire Yet and the forum at Bogleheads.org
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+6

Generally speaking the only time I buy or sell is just once a year for rebalancing. I rebalance just to get back to where I am supposed to be according to my written financial plan (which details my AA, which funds, and percentages of each).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote