Join Early Retirement Today

Best Short-Term Return You've Ever Made?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Short-Term Return You've Ever Made?

I did not see any thread with this so I thought it would be fun to ask if folks would like to share their best short-term returns they've ever enjoyed? Maybe include %'s in lieu of $.

I typically buy and hold stocks so I'm more of a long-term value investor but my most handsome gain was of the short-term variety in June 2016.

I had been following LinkedIn as I really liked the platform and as most, saw how so many folks used it to make business connections and enhance their careers.

I bought and sold it twice for decent gains in 2015/2016 - I believed in the platform but the stock was so volatile so it was a hard one to hold. After they reported a big earnings miss (I believe it was April 2016), stock fell from ~$170 to $90. I did not have a position at the time but was checking the RSI and I remember it was in the low teens so it was beyond oversold. With my pulse quickening, I bought a really sizeable position (for me, anyways)

The media reports were really negative - I remember watching the business networks and they were saying there was hate-selling (whatever that means).

It rebounded to like $110 the next month and then Microsoft came in and bought out LinkedIn for $180/share in June 2016.

I had not yet heard the news. I remember logging into my brokerage account. and seeing a big green + amount for the day. I thought I logged into the wrong account - I literally thought it was a mistake. It was better than waking up on Christmas morning as a 5 year old.

I think Microsoft eventually upped their offer to the mid-190's but I was long gone by then ...it was a clean double in 2 months but also a gift for Uncle Sam as it was in my Brokerage Account and not my IRA - DOH! - and thus a STCG.

Does anybody have some simple technical indicators (like RSI) they utilize to make better buying and selling decisions? Which ones do you find are the most effective/reliable?
jt999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

one order of magnitude over a 3-4 hour period back in Oct 1987.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Not a short term, but very little effort on my part.

I had an old insurance policy that cost me $110 per year. They sent me a letter telling me they were changing their corp structure and I was entitled to shares or money.

So I phoned to find out, I still have the insurance nothing was changing but I could get a couple of thousand in cash or leave it as stock with them.
So I left it.
After a year I realized I should have taken the money and called them up, but by then it had doubled so I cashed out right away!
Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #4

I don't know about best, but the one I enjoyed the most was Enron.

I bought some in early 2000. My skeptical self got nervous about it and sold it later that year for about an 18% gain. Not a big sum, but I've always felt good about it, and even today I smile whenever I hear Enron mentioned.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:16 AM   #5

Back in 1981 when I first started, my coal company was part of Conoco Oil. After I had accumulated a couple hundred shares in the 20's, the first big corporate takeover war began with Mobil, Dome Petroleum, Dupont, Seagram and a host of others. Tendered at $105, put me in the 6 figures in my corporate thrift plan, after 6 months. From there, I was off to the races!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #6

That half hour I spent in the church getting married. Immeasurable gains. None monetary in the short term.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Harness Horses....claimed a pacing mare for $7500, 6 days later raced her in a $10,000 claimer, she won and was claimed away from me. Score: $2500 gain in the difference of claiming price, $5000 purse money, wrote off $100 dinner at the track.....expenses:$300 training bill....Profit: $8200 on $7500 investment in 6 days......now that is fun!
bja1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #8

Once on a day cruise I started with 20 at a blackjack table. Within about 10 mins I was up to $80. I thought "well that's a nice pair of shoes!"

I took my money and went up on the deck to get some sun and that was it for my gambling day.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hit two slot machine jackpots in one day.
That and... adopting a dog.

Best short term paybacks ever.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A bit over $1,500 on a $6 investment on the first cruise DW and I ever took. Won the end-of-cruise pot in a game of progressive blackout bingo.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #11

Most - Paid $2 for a Powerball ticket and won $50K.

Most “wish I’d have bought more” - Bought gold when it was under $300/oz. Bought one of each coin denomination for my daughters. Still have it.

Most fun - Playing video poker and getting a Royal Flush. Had all the diamonds on the draw except I had the Jack of Hearts. In the draw was the Jack of Diamonds. So on the draw, I had a jacks or better pair. Almost held the two jacks and hit deal until I looked closer at the hand. Gave up the pair and got the Royal. $1,000 - should have been betting dollars.

Sorry, no quick stock money. I’ve done well on a few options trades, but I was in for such a small amount, doubling my money was still just a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

$75k on a $5 lottery ticket: $25k to taxes, $25k to the person who gave me the ticket, $25k to me! Most fun experience I think I’ve ever had for a number of reasons.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
That half hour I spent in the church getting married. Immeasurable gains. None monetary in the short term.
+1
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

The small software company I worked for was too cheap to hand out stock options - but they did let us buy at the IPO price which was $14 Sold on the first day at $19 - it never went any higher than that for the next 2 years - I wasn’t making that much so being taxed at the short term rate was not that big a deal. I only bought a 200 shares.
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #15

I spent a short time in private equity. We researched the hell out of a distressed corporate bond issue for a customer. Customer didn't pull the trigger but we knew enough to know that it wasn't going to default.

Bond was trading at a 30% discount with 6 months left until maturity. Bought and captured the last of the coupon plus got the full face back.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Got in on Beyond Meat Ipo last week. Made 130% in 5 hours. 6 figure profit. Sold out too quick as it tripled within days. Not complaining, thankful for return.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My big wins were long ago. In terms of short term, I bought OCF at 9-something per share in Aug 86 (hostile takeover attempt cratered the stock) and sold at 38-something in Feb 87.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #18

We bought a house in Atlanta in 2011, making the first offer on it in 6 months. Sold in 2014 at 50% higher than we paid, with the proceeds putting our net worth in double comma territory for the first time. We’re on our 4th house and average returns won’t be as good across the lot of them but that particular sale on House #3 worked out well and felt good. Don’t ask me about House #2. House #1 sale went well in 2001 and let us pay off DW’s student loans.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Pure speculation. When Nortel was crashing, I put in a market order when it was 78 cents. Got filled at 82 and sold for 1.86. No analysis. Just a hunch. It eventually went to 7.50 before the final crash and burn. No regrets. Never held it before or since.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #20

Bought a house in the DC area in 2002 and sold it 4 years later for 50% more than we paid. I have probably made a higher percent in a shorter period but this was a larger dollar gain.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote