Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
Annnnd, just sold the 1000 Gilead for $66.64, a one day gain of ~$1700
You got more moves then "Jagger"!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops I did it again. Bought 1000 of Gilead yesterday for $64.85 and just sold it for $66.61 this morning.

I really don't know how many times I can slay this dragon. It just keeps respawning and I keep killing it.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

And now a shutdown has been averted which will cause a relief rally tomorrow and I will make another $2000 on Gilead.

You couldn't write a movie script about this stuff...nobody would believe it.

Oh, I forgot to mention I bought 1000 shares at $63.97 near end of day.

...excuse me, have to look up this hubris word and see what it means...
Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And now a shutdown has been averted which will cause a relief rally tomorrow and I will make another $2000 on Gilead.

You couldn't write a movie script about this stuff...nobody would believe it.

Oh, I forgot to mention I bought 1000 shares at $63.97 near end of day.

...excuse me, have to look up this hubris word and see what it means...
I don’t know. Futures are not looking so good right now.......
Old 12-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Market timing

Keep in mind EVERYTHING is market timing to some degree. I think it behooves us to stay away from that label because the minute it gets attached to an action, that action suddenly becomes radioactive (like being short like the original poster was, which was a VERY prudent move, with a MORE acceptable risk reward scenario than being long, by far)

DCA is market timing. Rebalancing is market timing. Investing a lump sum all at once is market timing. Spreading it out is market timing (all to some degree). But I think it's prudent to overweight or underweight based on historical valuations.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

My trading finally caught up with me a little bit as I am now stuck with a unrealized loss of a couple thousand bucks in Celgene and Gilead. They were just too cheap to pass up at $61.50 and $63

Maybe can get some sort of small Santa rally later this week?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My trading finally caught up with me a little bit as I am now stuck with a unrealized loss of a couple thousand bucks in Celgene and Gilead. They were just too cheap to pass up at $61.50 and $63

I put in a special request in your honor with that Santa dude for after Xmas:

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've done some of these plays in the past. And it is a lot of fun to take some small % (though decent $ amount), sometimes several times a day. You find yourself singing that song 'This ain't workin', That's the way ya do it, Money for nothing...' (I never did get the 'chicks for free', though ).

But then, it always seemed that eventually, the trading stock would drop, and the drop wiped out most/all/more of the gains. I'd get stuck with a lot of loser, dead-weight stocks, and not enough liquidity to do much trading (with the amount that I limited myself to for this). I decided to stop, but it is fun while it goes your way.

Good luck!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... I decided to stop, but it is fun while it goes your way. ...
Yup. BTDT.

In "Your Money and Your Brain" Jason Zweig explains this. It turns out that when we have an unexpected gambling "win" our brain gives itself a dopamine shot. The brain learns to anticipate situations where a "win" might occur and actually releases some dopamine in anticipation, encouraging the gamble.

If no "win" occurs, we don't get a dopamine shot. So that basically keeps us looking for those "wins" and those dopamine rewards.

We don't have as much free will as we think we do.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Yup. BTDT.

In "Your Money and Your Brain" Jason Zweig explains this. It turns out that when we have an unexpected gambling "win" our brain gives itself a dopamine shot. The brain learns to anticipate situations where a "win" might occur and actually releases some dopamine in anticipation, encouraging the gamble.

If no "win" occurs, we don't get a dopamine shot. So that basically keeps us looking for those "wins" and those dopamine rewards.

We don't have as much free will as we think we do.
It was also interesting to note, that Celgene and Gilead really only dropped about as much as the overall market, it wasn't some out-sized swing.

EZ come, EZ go.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually feel pretty good about Gilead. It is at the bottom of a 5 year range and essentially is back to where it was before they bought Pharmasset. They have some 27 billion in cash on hand with a market cap of around 85 billion and a pretty high dividend now of 3.7% or something around there.

Not AT&T high dividend but then again they are not in debt up to their eyeballs like T is.

Celgene is a bit of a stinker, I only bought it cause I thought it might bounce. I should have just bought double in Gilead.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Full disclosure - I haven't even checked my port in the last few months. I do have some stock from my old company that I check once in a while. It's down a good chunk in the latest sell off but WAY above what I "paid" for it (a form of employee compensation from back in the day). In short, I have about a 30% or so (heh, heh, probably less now) commitment to stock in my total investible portfolio. I rarely do anything with it. Maybe tweak it every 3 or 4 years (I think I have now been 'tweaked').

But what I wanted to comment on was the thread title. "Beyond this land, there be dragons." This phrase was uttered in the TV miniseries FARGO. Billie Bob Thornton played a (somewhat) likable character (a stone killer, probably sociopath, but let's not call names, here.) To warn off a police officer who had pulled him over (BBT was driving a stolen car at the time) this phrase was used - and it was delivered so well that it worked. Returning you now to tonight's scheduled subject. May your 2019 performance in the stock market be awesome. Of course, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Full disclosure - I haven't even checked my port in the last few months. I do have some stock from my old company that I check once in a while. It's down a good chunk in the latest sell off but WAY above what I "paid" for it (a form of employee compensation from back in the day). In short, I have about a 30% or so (heh, heh, probably less now) commitment to stock in my total investible portfolio. I rarely do anything with it. Maybe tweak it every 3 or 4 years (I think I have now been 'tweaked').

But what I wanted to comment on was the thread title. "Beyond this land, there be dragons." This phrase was uttered in the TV miniseries FARGO. Billie Bob Thornton played a (somewhat) likable character (a stone killer, probably sociopath, but let's not call names, here.) To warn off a police officer who had pulled him over (BBT was driving a stolen car at the time) this phrase was used - and it was delivered so well that it worked. Returning you now to tonight's scheduled subject. May your 2019 performance in the stock market be awesome. Of course, YMMV.
BBT used very different phrasing to say essentially the same thing. But since we passed below 2600 we can see the Dragons clearly now and they are called "support/resistance levels"!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:26 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
BBT used very different phrasing to say essentially the same thing. But since we passed below 2600 we can see the Dragons clearly now and they are called "support/resistance levels"!
Here's the exact scene - I haven't watched it for a while. Always gives me the creeps - in a good BBT way!

Sorry for the interruption to a serious discussion - a little BBT "levity" seemed like a nice distraction - or not. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I looked at the width of the "V" in 3 past SP500 declines not associated with a recession, i.e. the time to get back to past market highs. The data:

Quote:
1962..... -26% 14 months
1987..... -32% 8 months
1998..... -18% 5 months
current.. -20%
Have decided to go to sleep for the next year.

P.S. this was posted in another thread but maybe more appropriate to this thread.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

An older link that puts together the major things that happen to the economy in a downturn. Simple, but a reminder of the pieces.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/3...n-a-recession/