Join Early Retirement Today

Bond Allocation - Mixing in Preferred Stocks, High Yield Bonds, & Foriegn Bonds
Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bond Allocation - Mixing in Preferred Stocks, High Yield Bonds, & Foriegn Bonds

Like many/most here, I oversee my own investments and spend time talking to and researching what the "experts" suggest (as well as many of you) in an effort to create the best "mouse trap" for me. While about 2 years out from RE, with last years run up, I have effectively "won the game", but continue to battle my logical/conservative nature with my ever present "greed glands" looking for a little more juice. While in the last few years I finally convinced myself to ratchet down to a more conservative 60/40 AA (which I suspect I will stay with thru RE), I cannot help but feel there are some better ways to turbo charge my "40". Yes, logically, I know that a big part of my bond allocation is there for stability and to counter the more volatile "60" over time, but I cant help with being discontent with a measly 2% + yield. So at the beginning of last year, after meeting with my financial executive committee (that's me), I made the decision to split my "40" as follows (and note their 2017 total returns which include reinvesting distributions and the approximate yield)...

- 25% Intermediate Bond Funds/ETFs (3.5% & 2%+) Previously, all my "40" here.
- 7% Preferred Stock Funds/ETFs (10.5% & 5.5%)
- 5% High Yield Bond Funds/ETFs (9%+ & 5%)
- 3% Foreign Bond Funds/ETFs (10% & 4%+)

While I am no expert, in simple terms, my research tells me Preferred Stocks will act more like Bonds with a little bit of stock momentum, High Yield Bond movement will generally run closer to stock performance, and Foreign Bonds will be affected more by currency changes. Again, putting it all simply.

So while last years performance for this 15% alternative bond allocation looks great compared to my sleepy Intermediate Bond performance, is the risk/reward model over time really worth it? Am I kidding myself with my 5% High Yield Bonds... is this effectively as if I am really holding a 65% Stock allocation? I love the extra juice in 2017, just wondering if this is a sustainable or really needed "40" allocation model?
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just look at how those asset classes behaved in 2008.

The point of bonds is to diversify away from stocks. Use the lower correlation high quality bonds/cash.

What is the point of taking equity like risks in your fixed income allocation?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
What is the point of taking equity like risks in your fixed income allocation?
+1

Would you cut a few panels out of your parachute to make it lighter?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Bonds (especially treasuries) are the life vest you hold onto when the stock market is crashing. You are turning your bonds portfolio into a proxy for the stock market. If you are 25 this might be OK but if you are older than 40 then you should remember 2008 and run from this idea.
“The investor’s chief problem and even his worst enemy is likely to be himself.” – Benjamin Graham
Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

To turbo charge your fixed income yield, simply stop paying fund management fees. Learn to buy individual bonds and to buy govvies on the auction. Your Schwab/Fido bond guys are a great resource. People seem to think that this is hard to do. It is not.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stocks are not bonds.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
To turbo charge your fixed income yield, simply stop paying fund management fees. Learn to buy individual bonds and to buy govvies on the auction. Your Schwab/Fido bond guys are a great resource. People seem to think that this is hard to do. It is not.

+1 very much a fan of individual bonds. It's not that hard...
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

I treat my preferred stock portion of my 7 figure portfolio as part of my fixed income/ bond allocation. My allocation is 55/30/15, and preferreds make up 10% of my total portfolio. The other 20% is half Blackrock TIPS, and half Vanguard Total Bonds. My preferred rate of return for last year was 6.65%, TIPS 3.09%, and Total Bonds 3.57%. I sleep well at night.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I treat my preferred stock portion of my 7 figure portfolio as part of my fixed income/ bond allocation. My allocation is 55/30/15, and preferreds make up 10% of my total portfolio. The other 20% is half Blackrock TIPS, and half Vanguard Total Bonds. My preferred rate of return for last year was 6.65%, TIPS 3.09%, and Total Bonds 3.57%. I sleep well at night.
Must be the wine.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

I had about 5% in high yeild until I saw how close it tracked equities. Doesn't do the job that my bonds are meant to do - stay stable when everything else goes south.
http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/...&culture=en_US

Thought of changing AA to to 65/35 but decided to move it over to a bond fund instead. Still have 1% in HY, but will sell this year for living expenses.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Would you cut a few panels out of your parachute to make it lighter?
Well, if it were a race to the bottom...
Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #12

DawgMan,

Splitting up your bonds makes sense to me. Going by your yields I'm guessing you are using CEFs.

My investments are in a taxable account so I use muni bonds and preferred stocks (qualified divs). Around 70% of all pref stocks are qualified, so even if the CEF/etf/fund is not specifically tax-managed you will do ok.

Now is a good time to start adding to fixed income CEFs with everyone worried about inflation.

Here is one CEF that I like which is 50/50 stocks (mostly utility) and preferred stocks. Ticker is HTD.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #13

http://mebfaber.com/wp-content/uploa...-id2724737.pdf

You might want more foreign bonds.

Above link to Meb Faber from January 2016. If you wanted a "neutral", global market cap weighted portfolio, you'd have 30%, not 3%, in foreign governments.

Not saying to put 30% there, just sayin...
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
http://mebfaber.com/wp-content/uploa...-id2724737.pdf

You might want more foreign bonds.

Above link to Meb Faber from January 2016. If you wanted a "neutral", global market cap weighted portfolio, you'd have 30%, not 3%, in foreign governments.

Not saying to put 30% there, just sayin...
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. This is why I like this site... always something to learn. I need to dig deeper, but would be curious if many here have subscribed to a significant foreign bond allocation over the last say 10 yrs, what fund/etf they used, and how it performed?
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:32 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Where would REITs land in this discussion?
Old 01-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #16

You must first ask yourself "What is my bond allocation for?".

If the bonds are for cash flow, and not stability, maybe an increase in preferred stocks or other cash flowing investment may be OK.

If the bonds are for stability, and not necessarily cash flow, do not do it. The most stable bond fund is a US Treasury. Your own mortgage bond is probably the only better bond fund than a treasury.

If you have enough money coming in from pensions, SS, rentals, etc., you can get by with a bit more volatility. If you have excess dividends, you can probably weather the volatility storm a bit better too.

If you need to sell something every year to live, you may want more stability.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

I'm skeptical. Vanguard recently did a piece on bond investing vs bond funds. They state:
Quote:

The bid-ask spread tends to vary by trade size and bond
sector, and the size of the spread is typically larger for
small transactions. Mutual funds buy and sell large
quantities of bonds, with trades routinely exceeding $1
million. The larger transactions can command higher prices
for sales and lower prices for buys. So long as bid-ask
spreads are inversely related to purchase lot size, mutual
funds are likely to have an advantage over individuals
or other small-scale buyers. The benefits of scale are
most significant in sectors of the bond market other
than Treasuries, although they are important there, too.

A table following that paragraph suggests that in terms of bid asked spread that small investors in individual bonds are at a 51 bps disadvantage to mutual funds due to trade size... and in most cases that 51 bps advantage overwhelms the bond fund expense ratio.

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/ICRIBI.pdf

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
Where would REITs land in this discussion?
Equities.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
.... While I am no expert, in simple terms, my research tells me Preferred Stocks will act more like Bonds with a little bit of stock momentum, ....
What research is that? Actual data, or a lot of opinion? Can you provide some links?

I found two Preferred Stock funds that go back to FEB2008 (PFF, PGX), so we can get a sense of how they did in the big drop. Like the high-div=payers, they really didn't perform as some people expected.

Here's 5 years, FEB2008-FEB2013. Port #1 Total Market, #2 is a group if high-div-funds, #3 are the 2 Preferred Stock funds:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...&symbol15=PFXF

What do you see?

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png TM-DIVS-PREFERRED-FEB2008-FEB2013.png (45.9 KB, 43 views)
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What research is that?
I suspect he's thinking in terms of interest-rate sensitivity, which is bond-like. Since they don't have a maturity date, their duration is equal to the reciprocal of yield.