Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, this chart is indeed PE-10, which is the average PE over the past 10 years.

The current P/E ratio of the SP500 is around 16, and not 22.8 as the PE-10 shows.

If one wants cheaper stocks, there is emerging-market stock, with PE of 12 for an index (FTSE perhaps, I forgot). Also, a PIMCO money manager recently pointed out that emerging-market bonds also have better yields than US ones, yet emerging countries are not laden with debt like developed countries are.

Moreover, I find it interesting that Burton Malkiel, the author of the well-known book "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and a buddy of John Bogle, also noted in more than one recent article or interview that emerging stocks and bonds should be good buys. As a proponent of the Efficient Market Hypothesis, albeit only in the weak sense, meaning that in the short-term the market may act irrationally (of course we know this), his stance is noteworthy.
Thanks. Do you have a link to some data showing the current PE is 16? I haven't seen that but would feel much better if that were true. This chart was the only one I could come up with.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is 15.86 on this day of 3/9/2012, according to the WSJ site here.

From the same site, the estimated forward P/E is 13.10, meaning the earnings are expected to improve down the road.

I have problems finding a historical chart, and could only locate the following one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I thought current P/E was around 14, and the trailing chart you published shows about 14. I thought it was 15 about a year ago.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Your number may not be up-to-date. The S&P is up 9% year-to-date, so the P/E is up also.

Eh, I am not complaining. How about you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It is 15.86 on this day of 3/9/2012, according to the WSJ site here.

From the same site, the estimated forward P/E is 13.10, meaning the earnings are expected to improve down the road.

I have problems finding a historical chart, and could only locate the following one.

Thanks much NW. This is good news and I can see why many of you are more bullish now. It helps to have the correct chart!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

There is still about 3 TRILLION sitting on the sidelines.

Corporations are sitting on tons of cash, waiting for clarity on regulations and healthcare.

Experts still optimistic of a 1400 S&P by year end.

A big spike in June/Sept time frame? Nov 3 rally?
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I thought current P/E was around 14, and the trailing chart you published shows about 14. I thought it was 15 about a year ago.
According to S&P, LTM actual operating earnings were $94.64. At a closing price today of 1,370 that puts the trailing PE at 14.47x (Dividend yield of only 1.9%, though)
Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Damn it! We all know about P, but people seem to not be able to agree on the E part.

I thought they fired or jailed all the culprits who concocted phony E's after the 2000 tech bubble.

Just can't trust these accountants!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your number may not be up-to-date. The S&P is up 9% year-to-date, so the P/E is up also.

Eh, I am not complaining. How about you?
Yeah - that must be the difference. Oh - I see Gone4Good brought in more data!

Although I'm still reading things like "The S&P 500 traded at 14.1 times earnings when the market hit its most recent high on March 1. That’s the lowest valuation of any 52-week market high going back to 1989." The Bull Market Turns Three. Where's the Party? - Businessweek

I assume they are talking about trailing earnings.

Well, anyway, 14 SOMETHING! That's not bad, really.

Audrey
Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No. I am 100% fixed income. Don't want shares, and doubt I ever will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW.82 View Post
Bullish?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hmmm, I am beginning to think that a lot of people have become reflexively pessimistic over the last several years. I see lots of things moving in the right direction: profits, labor market, funding conditions, etc. With the Greece exchange in the rearview mirror, perhaps some of these positive developments will occupy more of the media's attention.
Quote:
I see credit market conditions improving meaningfully as well. The investment grade market is wide open and investors are thrusting cash at such issuers. Junk spreads have been dropping to the point where it is attractive for many junk issuers to refinance or pound out new bonds. The bank loan market also seems to be easing somewhat based on a few refinancings/amendments that allow for much more borrower flexibility and often a lower cost of funds.
Well, now you've done it. That's as close to "Wheeee!!" as I've ever heard from you.

I'll be liquidating all my equities on Monday and moving to gold bullion. And shotgun shells. And MREs. And shorting the TSM... on margin.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, now you've done it. That's as close to "Wheeee!!" as I've ever heard from you.

I'll be liquidating all my equities on Monday and moving to gold bullion. And shotgun shells. And MREs. And shorting the TSM... on margin.
Nah, I am a patient deep value bottom fisher, not a permabear. There are still plenty of hurdles, I just think that the public at large is excessively pessimistic and does not see the slow, steady improvement.

Although I did fill the 55 gallon barrel of emergency water today (mostly cause we live in a dry climate and would be hosed if the water was off for a day) and shotgun shells (my newly acquired toy is 20 gauge and I don't have any of that).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Although I did fill the 55 gallon barrel of emergency water today (mostly cause we live in a dry climate and would be hosed if the water was off for a day) and shotgun shells (my newly acquired toy is 20 gauge and I don't have any of that).
Betcha never used sentences like that in NJ. At least I hope you never had to.

Looks like you've made the transition to your new culture just fine. At least you'll never have to wear the cowboy hat on Wall Street...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At least you'll never have to wear the cowboy hat on Wall Street...
Ah, but I did on a regular basis prior to making my escape. I did draw the line at the big, silver belt buckle with the turquoise embedded in it.

My coworker could not understand the concept of it not being legal to hunt deer with a rifle in all of NJ and much of NY. I think it clicked when I pointed out that NJ alone has CO's population in an area 1/12 the size.

- George Orwell

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My coworker could not understand the concept of it not being legal to hunt deer with a rifle in all of NJ and much of NY. I think it clicked when I pointed out that NJ alone has CO's population in an area 1/12 the size.
The last thing I want to do is let a bunch of licensed Wall Street guys shoot for the big bucks...

Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The last thing I want to do is let a bunch of licensed Wall Street guys shoot for the big bucks...
This is a colleague here in the heartland who grew up (among other things) detassling corn and hunting pheasants in cornfields. The Wall St. guys are generally far too busy working to hunt, fish or do much of anything else.

- George Orwell

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Dow in real dollars is currently below its century-long trend midline, which has me bullish.
http://home.earthlink.net/~intellige...om-dj-infl.htm
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The Dow in real dollars is currently below its century-long trend midline, which has me bullish.
Fred's Intelligent Bear Site - Inflation Adjusted DJIA
Excellent chart and commentary. Thanks for posting it.

But I am at a loss about how this could make you bullish. If anything, this is a bearish chart. It does show the power of government manipulation. That is pretty much the only missing link- how long can Li'l Dr Ben keep the balls in the air?

Ha
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But I am at a loss about how this could make you bullish. If anything, this is a bearish chart.
I read the top chart as saying that we can expect 1.9% real price appreciation, plus a 2% dividend yield with a 50/50 shot of doing better or doing worse.

The bottom chart I look at and say "interesting correlation, but how is today anything like the 1960's and 70's?"
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I don't know about all that........

Yes, profits are up, but companies are sitting on a TON of cash because of restrictive regulatory environment......
Agreed on the hoarding of cash, but not entirely sure it's all due to "restrictive regulatory environment." I'm sure that's part of it, but also companies just don't have to give any increasing sales or profits to employees because the labor market is so weak. Additionally, the companies don't give a lot of it back to shareholders because of the double taxation of dividends (many investors don't want dividends for that reason, especially with "growth" companies).

Also, many companies now hoard cash as a growth strategy; in many larger companies M&A has mostly replaced R&D as a growth strategy -- most new product lines in large businesses are bought, not developed internally. And relying on M&A for growth requires regularly replenishing a mountain of cash for the next acquisition.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote