Buying Back After TLH

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My first go at tax loss harvesting. I sold my shares of Key Bank (KEY) which I had for a long time from an old drip account. I do like this bank even though it lost much of its value. I am trying to decide whether to buy it back in 30+ days or I could buy as a replacement the regional bank ETF KRE.
Do you folks who TLH buy back in 30 days or look for replacement stocks/funds even though you you may have not been unhappy with the original stock/fund?

I always replace the position on the same day of the tax loss sale (different ETF or stock) so as not to miss a possible gain during the wash sale period. If you want the same stock or holding, you can always move back into it after 30 days. I am moving more to ETFs and generally away from individual stocks to reduce the time required to follow my investments.

I always replace the position on the same day of the tax loss sale (different ETF or stock) so as not to miss a possible gain during the wash sale period. If you want the same stock or holding, you can always move back into it after 30 days. I am moving more to ETFs and generally away from individual stocks to reduce the time required to follow my investments.

I do a LOT of ETF investing for my clients and nowadays there's so many ways to slice and dice that individual stocks seem almost blaise' at times..........

Another strategy is to double up on the stock for 31 days, then sell the original holding. Although this is more risky, if you really like the stock and think it will outperform the replacement stock over the next 30 days, this will get you around the wash sale rule.

Another strategy is to double up on the stock for 31 days, then sell the original holding. Although this is more risky, if you really like the stock and think it will outperform the replacement stock over the next 30 days, this will get you around the wash sale rule.

Had not thought about that one, good idea, I may use it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom