Join Early Retirement Today

Buying Freddie Mac
Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Buying Freddie Mac

Is this a dumb idea? I read democrats would prolly keep the company around to allow low income people to get housing. I'm predicting obama is going to win the election, and there is a dem. majority in some part of the government or something.

Its like $1.17...I'm putting at least 5k into index funds, but part of me wants to put $1k in here and see what happens. Maybe the gov. would limit the share price to stop people from profiting on a bailout?

FRE - Freddie Mac - Google Finance

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's quite speculative, but I think it might make some sense. I would seriously consider buying Fannie below $1. It was selling at 7 when the Feds put it into conservatorship. Since the Feds now own 80% of it, one could argue that it's worth at least $1.40 today (20% of 7). The Feds are going to let FNM and FRE grow their portfolios through 2009, and James Lockhart (head of OFHEO) said yesterday that the Treasury could buy some of their bad mortgages. The earnings hurdle will be covering the dividend on the preferred stock the Feds now own, so they can pay a dividend on the common.

For the record, the Dems have historically been staunch supporters of FRE and FNM, even though they would like the public to believe otherwise.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently look in to putting all my 6k into GE. It's at like 19$ a share. Fannie/freddie seems more risky than GE. I think eventually GE will go up. Any thoughts on GE?

Thanks again
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahcim View Post
Fannie/freddie seems more risky than GE.
Just a little. Jumping in with GE vs Fannie/Freddie is roughly equal to hopping in the water with a guppy or a 30 foot great white shark.

Go the latter route, I think you're gonna need a bigger boat.

I may post some pictures of captain quint.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently look in to putting all my 6k into GE. It's at like 19$ a share. Fannie/freddie seems more risky than GE. I think eventually GE will go up. Any thoughts on GE?

Thanks again
Fannie/Freddie are much much more risky than GE. Without knowing anything about you or your investment portfolio, I can't give you any meaningful advice. If you only have 6K total and no investment portfolio, I would say put it in an index fund. If your are retired and are looking for income, I think GE is attractive with a yield of nearly 6.5%, and a good possibility of future dividend growth.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm 19, have 6k to invest now. 1k in savings account, will have 5k in 1 month that I am going to put in vanguard total stock market index. I already have large cap mutual funds. I'm thinking I'll do all the money in GE... or 5k in GE and 1k in fannie. I've never bought stock, but I'm looking at zecco. I'm thinking I just make a limit order of like 18, then I won't buy unless it is 18...Is it that easy?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm thinking I just make a limit order of like 18, then I won't buy unless it is 18...Is it that easy?
Yes, if you put in a buy limit at 18, it will only execute at 18 or less.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just bought some FNM at .70 cents. This is just gambling money and I bought a thousand shares. A thousand shares use to sound like alot. Not so much these days.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just an update, I sold at 1.95 just before it went over $2.00.