Join Early Retirement Today

Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns
Old 03-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns

I've enjoyed these charts each year. The 2019 table is the 20th anniversary edition:

https://www.callan.com/wp-content/up...Table-2019.pdf
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank you! I like to review this chart each year.

In 2018 Cash was King!

Followed by US fixed income, which broke even in spite of rising interest rates.

Everything else was negative!
Old 03-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

I'd like to see the table reported on July through June+1 besides January through December. I've been curious how different it would or would not look.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'd like to see the table reported on July through June+1 besides January through December. I've been curious how different it would or would not look.
It’s going to appear mostly random. Just like the existing one does.

There is some time correlation - an asset class that has a bad year or two often bounces back. But otherwise it’s all over the map.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

thanks for the heads up-always fascinating reading.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:58 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Cash was king in 2018. Hopefully this year will be better.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I'd rather see the 2020 table today.
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #8

I've always enjoyed these. They clearly illustrate how difficult it is to pick the asset class year on year that will be the winner. What it doesn't show, however, is which asset classes have the higher longer term returns with corresponding increases in volatility. Other tools for that exist elsewhere. Another tool in the toolbox...
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I agree - this table always reinforces my decision to rebalance my portfolio annually and not try to tilt my asset allocation in anticipation of some asset classes doing better or worse in the near future.

In terms of higher long term returns and volatility, you can pull it out of the chart. You can certainly get a feel for the relative volatility by observing which asset classes tend to bounce from near the top and bottom most often. 20 year average returns - well you’ll have to use a spreadsheet. I notice the content of the table is selectable.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I first came across this 10 or so years ago and remember tallying them up on a spreadsheet in yearly rank order.

The results didn’t change anything regarding my allocation but were interesting.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the "quilt chart." Uniquely combining ugliness with incomprehensibility.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #12

One can surmise that Emerging Markets and Real Estate can be the most profitable over the past 20 years. And the least.

Maybe most volatile.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Ah, the "quilt chart." Uniquely combining ugliness with incomprehensibility.
I find it very comprehensible. It’s a terrific graphical display of data.

Not everybody responds to graphical displays of data the same way.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
In 2018 Cash was King!
Wow. 2018 was just a bad year all the way around. Except cash, of course.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I find it very comprehensible. It’s a terrific graphical display of data.

Not everybody responds to graphical displays of data the same way.
It shows in a glance which segments of the market did well and which did not in past years. I am not an indexer, and own most of these segments in different proportions. I like to look at the chart for a summary.

If the chart looks confusing, it is because the market, and in general real life, is that way. And the messiness of the market is what scares some people and drives them to keep all of their money in CDs or bonds. It keeps things orderly and simple for them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

To be clear, I understand the chart very well. I have seen (and mostly ignored) its various incarnations over most of the years it has been in existence. The investment guys at DW's former megabank practically worshiped the thing.

The incomprehensibility is this: It is a depiction of random results in which many people look for patterns. Nassim Taleb points out repeatedly that it is a human urge to seek patterns and causes in randomness. (Read "Fooled by Randomness") This is how Zeus and Odin came to be, to explain thunder. In a more contemporary vein, it is how the investing version of astrology, "technical analysis," came into existence and is still hanging onto life (though barely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... If the chart looks confusing, it is because the market, and in general real life, is that way. And the messiness of the market is what scares some people and drives them to keep all of their money in CDs or bonds. It keeps things orderly and simple for them.
Agreed. Further, the "messiness" is the randomness. But the randomness does have an overall slight upward bias of a few percent per year; that is the only pattern and it is how investors make money.

In my investing class, I point out that this random behavior leads to two very important conclusions: 1) It is pointless to look at prices except over long periods of time and 2) it is fairly easy to get lucky. Taleb's other theme is the tendency of people who have gotten lucky to conclude from it that they are geniuses. BTDT, but have long since learned my lesson.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
It’s going to appear mostly random. Just like the existing one does.

There is some time correlation - an asset class that has a bad year or two often bounces back. But otherwise it’s all over the map.
True, presuming no seasonality and no "window dressing". Those are probably minimal. If the offset chart is no different than the by year chart, that would increase even more the statement of randomness.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I first came across this 10 or so years ago and remember tallying them up on a spreadsheet in yearly rank order.

The results didn’t change anything regarding my allocation but were interesting.
This year, I am going to draw on some inner strength, and not look at the darn thing!

It is interesting, and worth posting, but then I spend hours analyzing it, and decide to do nothing anyway, hah. So this year, I will try to save myself the trouble. Enjoy!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This year, I am going to draw on some inner strength, and not look at the darn thing!

It is interesting, and worth posting, but then I spend hours analyzing it, and decide to do nothing anyway, hah. So this year, I will try to save myself the trouble. Enjoy!

-ERD50

Ha! Good for you! Sometimes it’s best to just let things stand as they are.

I’m also glad the chart was posted.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
To be clear, I understand the chart very well. I have seen (and mostly ignored) its various incarnations over most of the years it has been in existence. The investment guys at DW's former megabank practically worshiped the thing.

The incomprehensibility is this: It is a depiction of random results in which many people look for patterns. Nassim Taleb points out repeatedly that it is a human urge to seek patterns and causes in randomness. (Read "Fooled by Randomness") This is how Zeus and Odin came to be, to explain thunder. In a more contemporary vein, it is how the investing version of astrology, "technical analysis," came into existence and is still hanging onto life (though barely).

Agreed. Further, the "messiness" is the randomness. But the randomness does have an overall slight upward bias of a few percent per year; that is the only pattern and it is how investors make money.

In my investing class, I point out that this random behavior leads to two very important conclusions: 1) It is pointless to look at prices except over long periods of time and 2) it is fairly easy to get lucky. Taleb's other theme is the tendency of people who have gotten lucky to conclude from it that they are geniuses. BTDT, but have long since learned my lesson.
I see the chart as an explicit confirmation of mostly randomness in relative annual asset class performance with some pattern of asset classes having a good year after undergoing a period of underperformance and vice versa (i.e. the general concept of “returning to the mean”). Yet at the same time you can see that some assets classes may underperform for years, and then suddenly outperform for years, so there is no way to predict the next year asset class relative performance.

So your criticism is not of the chart. Your criticism is that some investors may look for patterns in such a chart. IMO that has nothing to do with the chart or how the data was graphically presented.