CAN SLIM model

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Went to one of the William O'Neill presentation over the weekend on the CAN SLIM stock model. Has anyone had any experiences. Pro / Con.

I liked his book and went to one of his presentations in the late 90s. I never practiced his system religiously, but I did incorporate some of his ideas into my growth-stock investing at the time. I pretty quickly came to realize that I, at least, am absolutely lousy and picking individual stocks. I've bought only index funds and ETFs since then.

Just curious: when I saw O'Neill speak in 1997 or so, he struck me as a smart guy, but bitter and unhappy. Did he seem the same to you?

Mr. O'Neill didn't actually give the presentation. The speaker (aka salesguy) was actually pretty good, though at times seemed a little impatient with some of the elementary questions....I think he is more interested in teaching the advanced courses.

Went to one of the William O'Neill presentation over the weekend on the CAN SLIM stock model. Has anyone had any experiences. Pro / Con.
I tried it for about six months a few years back. Too easily manipulated. Too much work to screen/track too many stocks. Too many stops to set, too many daily interruptions, too much to do.

Market makers love this model. It inspires frequent trading and the sell stop-loss setpoints are easy to figure out, so they can play the spreads and whiplash the momentum guys all day.

The more crowds of people who follow CANSLIM and other models, the less they work. The models, that is, not the people.

Over the years I keep coming back to the investment styles that suit my level of interest, my lifestyle, and my work ethic: value and dividends.

Back
Top Bottom