Join Early Retirement Today

Canadians Enter Here
Old 05-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Canadians Enter Here

Us Canucks are in the minority here, so I would like to create this thread for all us Canadians to discuss Canadian specific stocks

I recently picked up some BMO after their huge gas trading losses at around $69 as their div. yield was close to 4% after the drop and the news - although troubling - will not affect their future cash flow (ie dividend will remain).

Overall I don't see too many buy opportunities in the TSX at the moment.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RY might have been one a day or 2 ago. Similar senario to BMO.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If you can handle volatility, Jones Soda (JSD.V) is being beaten down by their 1Q results missing the street. Currently about $20 after a high $10 more. Connacher O&G is also fairly priced (CLL.TO). Most everything else is pretty high. For a riskier play, Ondine Pharma (OBP.TO) has been hit too.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do you think of Tim Horton's? The price has come off the past couple of weeks and I've heard rumors of them planning to use excess cash to increase their dividend.
Calgary_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't own any Tim Hortons as I don't like to hold anything in retail or the food industry. Having said that I read that same store sales frowth data was really good (about 8%) and they have super aggressive expansion plans into the U.S. If Tims' becomes as popular there as it is here, then it will take off, but I personally do not think it will. They'll do just OK in the US I think, but not anything spectacular.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We bought THI in the IPO to avoid missing out on another Starbucks. We are hanging in for the dividend. But like AS, we would not have it if not for the IPO pop.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a Canadian but own some Canadian Royal Trusts. I have been trying to understand what will happen to these with the tax changes. I do not know if I am lucky or not all of them except one have been bought for cash by other companies. I was looking at putting the money into Canadian REITS. As I understand the tax law changes these will not be affected. Is this true?
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tax changes on trusts will affect some REITS. It depends on the sourcing of their income. I have not followed which ones, but the one I own REI.UN is not affected by the tax changes.

Consider doing a REIT thread search on Financial Webring Forum :: Index or Google 'Canadian REIT Tax Changes' for possible leads. Or better yet, inquire with Investor Relations of the REIT that you are considering. Most Canadian REITs know where they stand vis-a-vis tax changes.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed View Post
Tax changes on trusts will affect some REITS. It depends on the sourcing of their income. I have not followed which ones, but the one I own REI.UN is not affected by the tax changes.

Consider doing a REIT thread search on Financial Webring Forum :: Index or Google 'Canadian REIT Tax Changes' for possible leads. Or better yet, inquire with Investor Relations of the REIT that you are considering. Most Canadian REITs know where they stand vis-a-vis tax changes.
Thanks!
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
I don't own any Tim Hortons as I don't like to hold anything in retail or the food industry. Having said that I read that same store sales frowth data was really good (about 8%) and they have super aggressive expansion plans into the U.S. If Tims' becomes as popular there as it is here, then it will take off, but I personally do not think it will. They'll do just OK in the US I think, but not anything spectacular.
I agree about Tim's. Tim's is a cultural icon in Canada, but it has many competitors in the US and probably the quality of the coffee will not be enough to stand out in a saturated market. Having said that, limited growth in a huge market could be significant.

As for the retail or food industries, some of my best buys have been in these industries. Some years ago I held Danier Leather and made a significant profit within two years. Within the past 18 months I bought Shoppers Drug Mart at $41.59. Its current market value is $50.43; I bought Sobeys at $38.02 and current market value is $57.65. In fact, shareholders are being offered a buyout at $58. I voted yes and plan to put the profits towards a downpayment on some investment real estate.

I think there are two issues here. First the industry. Retail has a very low profit margin and is highly volume dependent. So you really have to read the strategic plan, look at the implementation, and see whether the company is pursuing a good business plan in areas of population growth. For example, retail pharmacy and health products in an aging boomer society is obviously a growth sector. And everyone has to eat, and Sobey's is expanding in the West, where the action is. Another factor in choosing these stocks because I liked the product, the quality approach in Sobeys' case, and the business plans. I use the research tools on TDW's site to compare firms with industry peers in terms of volume, PE, etc.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #11

I'm not a Canadian, but I play one on message boards. So I bought a small amount of this one on a lark the other day:

KHD.TO: Summary for CANADIAN HYDRO DEVELOPERS - Yahoo! Finance

I'm thinking of buying more. Any . . . um . . . Canadian thoughts on it?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #12

PE seems rather high.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
PE seems rather high.
Yeah, no kidding. After thinking about it, my real question is about politics . Is Canadian national energy policy changing? I know they recently passed a law banning the sale of incandescent lights. Do you see a shift in policy toward clean energy and conservation?

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but it is related to how I choose stocks: the trend is your friend.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There is a CO2 reduction movement underway. The minority government status should prevent any aggressive wrongheaded action by the politicians. Coal-fired plants will likely have to clean up their emissions. Not likely to be any new nuclear ones.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
There is a CO2 reduction movement underway. The minority government status should prevent any aggressive wrongheaded action by the politicians. Coal-fired plants will likely have to clean up their emissions. Not likely to be any new nuclear ones.
Thanks. A fair number of my stocks are energy related Canadian income trusts. And after they take out the 15% tax I feel sore Canadian.

How bout that Canadian $?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Thanks. A fair number of my stocks are energy related Canadian income trusts. And after they take out the 15% tax I feel sore Canadian.

C$ is up 9% YTD about the same as the DJIA.

The 15% will be credited to your income tax under the tax treaty. So it should be a wash. Just a cashflow issue (unless it is held in a 401K).
Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone have any thoughts on Methanex, listed on the TSX as MX?
ForeignExchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Where are you Canucks?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #18

Where are you Canucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg View Post

So does the rising C$ make you a happy camper? My VTI is up nicely in US$ and down somewhat in C$.

And to give this topic a bump, I've replied.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

In my E-trade "swing-for-the-fences account" I bought Timminco TIM on the TSX about 6-8 weeks ago. It's been nothing short of an adrenalin rush since I'm up 176% to date. It's at about $15.60, and in April was at .23 cents. I've never had a tenbagger before, and I'm staying in hell or high water until I either get my tenbagger, it slows down and trades sideways for a few months, or it drops like a rock. Volume is high, and 10-20% intraday moves are commonplace with this one.

This is the sort of thing that I use this account for. Not a blue chip anywhere in sight, only white knucklers chosen strictly by gut instinct on a story, and by how straight up the line goes.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson since I'm still holding a few Paladin shares that were rocket ships for a while but now am down around 30% on that one.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Grizz! In your situation, unless you spent less than $100 to purchase these shares, I would sell now and take the profit capital gains.

Different strokes.......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote