Join Early Retirement Today

Chico's FAS--Comments?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chico's FAS--Comments?

Did some stock screening, and on my list came up Chico's FAS, a chain clothing store.

Not really being into fashion, I wonder what shoppers think of this place.

The stock was down to $11+ today and "seems" screaming cheap.

Comments?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #2

My 55 year old sister is a Chico's fan and she loved it so much that she bought the stock. She's not a terribly knowledgeable investor but she seems pleased with it.

She and I were in Sanibel Island, FL in June and that's where the original Chico's store is. Of course, we had to go see it. I had never been in one but she knew exactly what she was after. She's an "Elite" customer which gave her free shipping to send the stuff home so she didn't have to pack it for the plane.

I thought the clothes were lovely. Nice simple styles, well made, a little more upscale than I shop for myself, perfect for her. Things are coordinated in style sections and it's easy to mix and match things nearby. She knew the prices and clothes well enough to know what's on sale or reduced.

The sizing is different than I had seen before. Instead of sizes like 8-16 or S M L, they size as 0,1,2 or 3. I don't know how that matches up with normal sizes. It was just different.

It's her favorite store. And our mom shops there, too.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Chico's markets to the older baby boomers .Our stores are always packed . Their customer service is great and their jewelry and clothes are unique .They did bring out a lingerie line which was way overpriced and I never see any of it being purchased . My sister & I both shop there .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Chico's markets to the older baby boomers .Our stores are always packed . Their customer service is great and their jewelry and clothes are unique .They did bring out a lingerie line which was way overpriced and I never see any of it being purchased . My sister & I both shop there .

So, except for the lingerie pricing, customers like the place? Do they often sale price out slow moving lines?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Customers like the place........they don't cater to the young crowd necessarily.........

The one in time here is ALWAYS running sales,I think they're running the Kohl's Department Stores playbook.......

I recall Peter Lynch found a lot of "nuggets" tagging along when his wife and daughters went to the mall..........Bath and Body Works and The Limited come to mind as "ten-baggers" he found out about.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #6

Robert - I have looked at them of late and owned them in the past - I would be wary until you see some solid same store sales (6 s words in a row!) increases again. Here's a story at Marketwatch that goes into a little detail.

Right now I'm in Christopher Banks (CBK) which just had a stellar October.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
So, except for the lingerie pricing, customers like the place? Do they often sale price out slow moving lines?
Their customers are mostly older baby boomers and they love the place .A little pricey but very trendy and great jewelry .Frequent sales and good customer service !
Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Robert - I have looked at them of late and owned them in the past - I would be wary until you see some solid same store sales (6 s words in a row!) increases again. Here's a story at Marketwatch that goes into a little detail.
Their same store sales decline % does give me pause. I saw a story yesterday of appearal retailers, and Chicos had the second biggest sales decline among a dozen or so listed.

On the other hand, Chicos has no debt, and strong financials otherwise.
How much worse can their sales comparisons get/how much lower can the stock go? (if I knew, I be rich!). I don't see them heading for bankruptcy.
And their stock is on sale now. And they seem to have a resreve of satisfied customers who may spend more "next year".

On the other hand, Labor Ready (LRW---temporary help firm) is also on sale now and has perhaps slightly more solid financials and no bad year-to-year comparison.

I have a finite amount of free cash for investment, so choices, choices, choices.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Their used to be only a handful of Chico's now they are everywhere maybe they over expanded . Plus after awhile all their clothes look the same I have a few Chico's outfits and that's enough .
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #10

I owned CHS a few years ago and made a nice profit on it. I bought it first at $17.30 and sold most of it at $40; then bought it again at $32 and finally sold it all at $48. I bought it because I was very impressed with the Gralnicks, the husband and wife who started the company in the early 80s and served as Chair and President until '06. While they headed up the firm, the stock just went up and up. In late '05 IIR, they started selling back their stock and the stock fluctuated all over the place before starting its downward slide.

I think the fundamentals of the company are sound even though the Gralnicks are no longer affiliated with Chico's, but I think they've grown too big from acquisitions and adding so many new stores in a short period of time.

I continue to follow the stock, but do not own it now.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
I owned CHS a few years ago and made a nice profit on it. I bought it first at $17.30 and sold most of it at $40; then bought it again at $32 and finally sold it all at $48. I bought it because I was very impressed with the Gralnicks, the husband and wife who started the company in the early 80s and served as Chair and President until '06. While they headed up the firm, the stock just went up and up. In late '05 IIR, they started selling back their stock and the stock fluctuated all over the place before starting its downward slide.

I think the fundamentals of the company are sound even though the Gralnicks are no longer affiliated with Chico's, but I think they've grown too big from acquisitions and adding so many new stores in a short period of time.

I continue to follow the stock, but do not own it now.
Chico's FAS stock now down to $7.79. It has no debt, and seems to be still a viable business.Too early to buy, or is it on fire sale?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, if you believe that the insiders of any company truly know best. CHS looks as though it could be poised for a significant turnaround.

Check out this article. Chico's Managers Betting on Comeback (Chico's FAS, Del Monte, Affiliated Computer, Marvel Entertainment, Sanderson Farms) | SmartMoney.com
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth View Post
Well, if you believe that the insiders of any company truly know best. CHS looks as though it could be poised for a significant turnaround.

Check out this article. Chico's Managers Betting on Comeback (Chico's FAS, Del Monte, Affiliated Computer, Marvel Entertainment, Sanderson Farms) | SmartMoney.com

Thanks for the link. Interesting company.