Join Early Retirement Today

Copper drop kind of disturbing.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Copper drop kind of disturbing.

Early warning indicator. Copper dipping to $2.55 a pound.

A few weeks ago there was talk that everything was ok as long as copper held $2.75. Now it is dipping into the $2.40s.

Weak copper demand when inventories are at historic low seems to indicate a much slower global growth demand than we have been led to believe.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

The oil industry was carrying the US economy in both GDP and job growth. That's now gone. Our government has increased the cost of doing business in the US with new regulations and mandates. We're going into a recession whether anyone wants to believe it or not. Copper prices reflect the declining industrial demand. The hope in the US is that consumer spending picks up as the gasoline prices continue to drop.

I'm pretty negative in the near-term. I don't see a 2008/2009 redux but we'll see a hit (IMHO). It seems to clearly demonstrate how useless QE has been. It hasn't worked in decades for Japan. Europe has extremely low interest rates yet they seem to be planning to start it there. Why? The only defense that QE has is the cry that it would have been so much worse without it.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

This article expounds on the subject, and more.

Copper Tumbles Most in Six Years Amid Commodity Collapse - Bloomberg

Have to read more about economic cycles today. Links to economic clock articles below.

Asset Classes » Australian Investors Association

https://www.fidelityworldwideinvestm...ent-clock.page
Old 01-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

It is probably getting about time to have a negative 10% year in the indexes. Oh well, good run while it lasted, huh?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

6 straight years of gains. No complaints. If it goes down this year, then look to scoop up some bargain prices on the good companies.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
6 straight years of gains. No complaints. If it goes down this year, then look to scoop up some bargain prices on the good companies.
I think a drop this year was inevitable with me beginning my retirement.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The oil industry was carrying the US economy in both GDP and job growth. That's now gone. Our government has increased the cost of doing business in the US with new regulations and mandates. We're going into a recession whether anyone wants to believe it or not. Copper prices reflect the declining industrial demand. The hope in the US is that consumer spending picks up as the gasoline prices continue to drop.

I'm pretty negative in the near-term. I don't see a 2008/2009 redux but we'll see a hit (IMHO). It seems to clearly demonstrate how useless QE has been. It hasn't worked in decades for Japan. Europe has extremely low interest rates yet they seem to be planning to start it there. Why? The only defense that QE has is the cry that it would have been so much worse without it.
I don't see how it clearly demonstrates that QE has been useless. Rather the opposite I would think.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

QE was slowing down the deflation. Now QE is over deflation will become more evident.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't see how it clearly demonstrates that QE has been useless. Rather the opposite I would think.
The purpose of QE is to lower interest rates. Our Fed stopped doing it (we think) and interest rates continued to fall. The rates were pretty low when they started it. Japan's rates have and are lower than ours. Germany's bonds are safely lower than the US interest rate without QE. Only near bankrupt euro countries have rates above the US rates. People don't have any reason to borrow money in stagnant economies.

So, are you taking the position that without QE in the US it would have been so much worse? Have decades of QE in Japan led to low interest rates or have decades of QE led to low economic activity? Does Europe need QE to drive low interest rates lower or will the stagnant Eurozone keep interest rates low anyway? What explains lower interest rates in the US after the Fed stopped QE?

Somewhere in the field of economics, QE has been elevated to have mythical powers to transform economies that I can't see actually happening.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
QE was slowing down the deflation. Now QE is over deflation will become more evident.
Every economic downturn in the US prior to the Great Depression was resolved with a short, sharp deflationary period. Economic growth and recovery quickly followed. The Depression of 1920 was the last one that was allowed to run its course. Never heard of it? You didn't because it was so short. The Great Depression had major deficit government spending based on the Italian Fascist model and Soviet propagana of their supposed success (all lies). Without WWII we might still be in the Great Depression because we sure weren't coming out of it on our own. We've double downed on the same policies and we have now had the longest Great Recession in history.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

No worries, Fed will not raise rates, start QE5, then we are off to the races.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
No worries, Fed will not raise rates, start QE5, then we are off to the races.
Crank up the gov't money printing presses

As long as the dollar stays strong, it minimizes the deflation. Kind of twisted logic, but making inflationary choices offsets the deflation.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #13

FCX taking a huge nose dive today - holy carp
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The Great Depression had fiscal tightening and protectionist import tariffs.

Japan's economy is quite different from the U.S.

The strong dollar does not reduce deflation. Rather, since we are an import economy, it increases disinflation/deflation in the US.

Until global demand increases, and/or we start to deal with labor shortages in the US (which we could have in a few years), inflation will not be a threat.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #15

The strong dollar is taking its toll on emerging markets. I think we're in for a wild ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
FCX taking a huge nose dive today - holy carp
Well, they "diversified" into oil and gas at just about peak prices for oil, and now their copper cash machine has fallen some 15%.

I expect a dividend cut. I had some shares purchased in the low $30s that I sold for a tax loss in December around $28. Boy was that a good decision!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #17

As other countries devalue their currencies against our dollar, US exports will take a hit which does not bode well for the multinationals. Global deflation and cheaper global goods will take the wind out of the U.S. recovery….(I think anyway).
Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #18

Copper prices have always been an indicator of industrial activity.

Maybe I can afford to repipe the house with copper now instead of pex ! ( 75 yo galvanized steel water pipes , no leaks so far)
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Pex is better than copper for most residential applications.

Did anyone notice that AA is down as well. Sympathy or data based?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Every economic downturn in the US prior to the Great Depression was resolved with a short, sharp deflationary period. Economic growth and recovery quickly followed. The Depression of 1920 was the last one that was allowed to run its course. Never heard of it? You didn't because it was so short. The Great Depression had major deficit government spending based on the Italian Fascist model and Soviet propagana of their supposed success (all lies). Without WWII we might still be in the Great Depression because we sure weren't coming out of it on our own. We've double downed on the same policies and we have now had the longest Great Recession in history.
Wut?

I mean, I read your political opinion loud and clear, but those simply aren't true statements. We did come out of the great depression on our own, and we had periodic recessions at about the same clip throughout our country's history, and we've had decent growth in this country for some time now, and the 2007 recession isn't close to being the longest....