Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXFIRE2034

Recycles dryer sheets
Things seem to be VERY fluid at the moment with coronavirus and getting worse by the minute. No one seems to really have a handle on the situation yet and information sharing is a concern. I'm now hearing we have a case right here in TX about 80 miles from where I live. Is this our next market correction in the works? It's a horrible situation, praying for all that are impacted.

Possibly true but staying the course.

Find a good crystal ball. Flip a coin... might be a disaster... or it might end up being nothing.

Sell everything and put it under your mattress.... or stay the course.

I'll hold out for bird flu, that ought to kill half the population of the world.

Correction?

We're all gonna die!

If it's a SARS level event or less the market will freak for a little while and it'll be a good buying opportunity. If it's a Spanish flu like event or worse I'm probably a goner anyway and it won't matter to me how the market reacts.

Either way I'm not in any rush to sell.

I'll hold out for bird flu, that ought to kill half the population of the world.

Then, who will raise Wagyu beef, catch lobsters, and age Cognac for you?

What good is your money then?

Sure, maybe things get silly in the market and correct "because" of it. I've been laughing since the first time I saw it mentioned as a reason why the markets were down a few days ago. Did the Ebola virus have any great impact on the market? This is no different. Much ado about nothing. A year from now, nobody will even remember.

So, if the market does correct "because" of it. Use the opportunity to pick up some bargains. Are you considering lightening up and adjusting your portfolio because of it? Likely a big mistake.

How's this for a trigger?
Water is found to contain a chemical that causes" reproductive and developmental, liver and kidney, and immunological effects, as well as high cholesterol and obesity.
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4540909002
If the health effects became pervasive in those cities, it could depress economic activity for a long time.
Throw in some coronavirus for extra effect.

Been through similar in the past, swine flu, bird flu, Ebola, MERS,. H1N2, HIV, yada, yada, yada. Opportunity to invest in company that produces vaccine.

Things seem to be VERY fluid at the moment with coronavirus and getting worse by the minute. No one seems to really have a handle on the situation yet and information sharing is a concern. I'm now hearing we have a case right here in TX about 80 miles from where I live. Is this our next market correction in the works? It's a horrible situation, praying for all that are impacted.

Most of those affected have not been dying

Where was your concern about the measles outbreaks? How about flu deaths?

If you are properly diversified you wouldn’t be too concerned about a correction.

Sure, maybe things get silly in the market and correct "because" of it. I've been laughing since the first time I saw it mentioned as a reason why the markets were down a few days ago.

I'm convinced those headlines are produced by a formula. By now, probably automated.

"The markets are [down/up] today due to [pick appropriate good/bad news item]."

Most of the time, by the time I read the up/down cause headline, the market is already going the other way. :facepalm:

I could finally afford beach front in San Diego!

17 dead out of three cities with about a 20M population in China. I'll bet more people drowned there last week.

Last edited:
We are arguably overdue for a correction regardless of the trigger.

The Covid-19 [mod edit] is more than a little worrisome for a number of reasons. It is still early so hard to tell exactly how bad it is, but the longish incubation period and tons of air travel in and out of the region means that infected people are probably already all around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'm counting on peoples short attention spans.

By next week, this will be old news. Too boring, TLTR.

And too "sciency".

Don't we have more important things to worry about... like the British Royal Family?

Personally, I'm counting on peoples short attention spans.

By next week, this will be old news. Too boring, TLTR.

No kidding about short attention spans.
Suddenly the new thing has pushed out of mind all the Australian fires, which was/is the signal for the end of the world. :eek:

It sure pounded down my Carnival and Royal Caribbean stocks. I might unload some of those and see if I can pick them up again when this blows over.

It sure pounded down my Carnival and Royal Caribbean stocks. I might unload some of those and see if I can pick them up again when this blows over.

I may do the same with my emerging markets exposure. Took the unusual step for me of buying some spy puts on Thursday.

I am not a sophisticated trader but I agree that we are due for a retrenchment. This may be the time to take MRDs (all in Wellington) and invest in treasury bond funds. Brewer, is this a wise approach to preserve our gains?

What about total bond funds/etfs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom