Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just learned about AlphaDex. What I was thinking of creating might be considered an enhanced index.

https://www.ftportfolios.com/retail/...-Alphadex.aspx

"Enhanced indexing takes traditional indexing one step further by attempting to identify those stocks within a broad-based index that exhibit the fundamental characteristics that provide the greatest potential for capital appreciation. Rather than replicating traditional index models, enhanced indexing builds on the basic principles of index construction with an emphasis on generating alpha."
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #22

Have you looked that the Russell Fundamental Indexes? Schwab has several in existing products. Have you looked at the multi-beta funds that use multiple techniques with different percentages of the fund. These are suppose to have better performance through the whole market cycle.
These things are in products which means they were thought of quite a while ago. Be careful of coming up with something that another owns the right for. You could get into a patent or copyright infringement suit.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe you can build an ETF portfolio at "Motif Investing" and get paid whenever someone purchases your ETF. Don't know any of the details but you might want to check it out.
FinancialDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialDave View Post
I believe you can build an ETF portfolio at "Motif Investing" and get paid whenever someone purchases your ETF. Don't know any of the details but you might want to check it out.
Sounds good, now just find a way to make money from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I just learned about AlphaDex. What I was thinking of creating might be considered an enhanced index.

"Enhanced indexing takes traditional indexing one step further by attempting to identify those stocks within a broad-based index that exhibit the fundamental characteristics that provide the greatest potential for capital appreciation. Rather than replicating traditional index models, enhanced indexing builds on the basic principles of index construction with an emphasis on generating alpha."
A wise man once said* - "To make money, you buy a stock, and when it goes up, you sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it".

It's that easy.

* Will Rodgers circa 1930

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sounds good, now just find a way to make money from it.

A wise man once said* - "To make money, you buy a stock, and when it goes up, you sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it".

It's that easy.

* Will Rodgers circa 1930

-ERD50
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it was a good idea. In fact I don't advertise individual stocks are a way to make money. A wiser man, Jack Bogle invented a better way in 1976. If you haven't heard of him you are probably in the group looking for a better way and in the camp of Will Rodgers!

FinancialDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I recall that some years ago, a financial company allowed you to define your own basket of stocks, then buy it in small dollar amounts like a mutual fund. Wonder if it is still around.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post

I have seen this kind of thing for a while now, "smart index" or something of the kind. Active fund managers are having a harder and harder time selling their products, as so many potential customers now got the news that index funds beat managed funds long term. So now they are packaging their managed funds as some kind of smarter index. Just seems kind of funny to me. But I guess some people fall for it, or they wouldn't exist.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'd be surprised that one wouldn't require some sort of SEC certification to be compensated for an index.

For example, one can't just claim to be a stock broker and trade for other people!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I recall that some years ago, a financial company allowed you to define your own basket of stocks, then buy it in small dollar amounts like a mutual fund. Wonder if it is still around.
fidelity did that. You will find it if you you search their site. But I have not found it on obvious pages. It may just be on some non-active pages.

There are many people out there that tout investment advice with the disclaimer "for educational purposes" and the like. Some even sell news letters. I can't see the SEC going after someone who comes up with an index or portfolio under these circumstances. Now to sell it as an ETF or Mutual fund... that would never get off the ground.

Motif as a way to make an ETF or fidelity baskets would not work. You can buy and sell baskets of other investments. However, you are missing key parts: the legal structure for it to be an independent entity, authorized participants, and so on.

Does someone need SEC approval for the couch potato portfolio?
The company who sells the product to investors would need to jump through all the SEC hoops. What one could sell would be the trade name and the IP. But it would take a really good marketer to accomplish this.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote