Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i'm a little bearish this week and think there is a real risk of going down below the lows and most likely one more close under 900 for the SP500
Gut feeling?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i'm a little bearish this week and think there is a real risk of going down below the lows and most likely one more close under 900 for the SP500
I hope you are right, for today, anyway. I want to fully rebalance before the market climbs. Yet, futures are up this morning.

Oh well. I might just do it anyway. I was never much good at market timing.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

W2R, even if the market goes up substantially today I fervently hope believe you'll look back on your purchases in a couple of years and regard them as a real bargain.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

That's true! I think I'll go do it. (gulp!)

I will just be buying VTSMX (Total Stock Market Index) and VFWIX (FTSE All-World Ex-US Index), using cash from my money market fund. So, it's not like I would have to sell a dropping bond fund or anything.

Edited to add: OK, I DID it. I am now back to my 45:55 (equities:fixed) AA.

REW, I realized when posting in response to your post, that I would have done it anyway. I would have done it even if the market went up like last Monday, so there was no sense in waiting a few hours.

By the way, when the Dow goes up 2,000 points today, I expect some thanks from everyone here!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
By the way, when the Dow goes up 2,000 points today, I expect some thanks from everyone here!
I'll get back to you later today...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

In a bear market - the trend it usually up at the start of the week and down at the end - opposite for a bull.

I'm waiting until the end of the week - I've divided up my remaining $ into thirds to put into the market.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I would like more time to rebalance so no thanks yet from me
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #48

the market seems to be going up and down almost exactly in sync with the price of oil
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I think we will see a few more big drops before we can start partying. I have a bit more rebalancing to do. Right now I am 58% equities, I need to go back to 65%.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #50

if you look at the stocks going up today it's pretty much everything commodity related up 10% or so. some stocks are up something like 50% in the last week
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #51

Quote:
You didn't even come close, but if you keep this up for the rest of the week you'll earn both my gratitude and my respect.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Buy more tomorrow, W2R!!!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

As always, "who knows" - I have changed my fund distributions to buy more shares instead of cash distributions.

I have also resumed putting "new money" - monthly 401 K contributions back into stocks.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You didn't even come close, but if you keep this up for the rest of the week you'll earn both my gratitude and my respect.
Yeah... A lousy +413.21 sure fell short of +2000, didn't it?

Oh well. Had to do it at some point or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Buy more tomorrow, W2R!!!
Tell you what - - I obviously need practice so that I can do this better. So, I'm open to donations from one and all, and I promise I'll invest them all in the equity portion of my portfolio. That should take care of the situation --- up +2000 by the end of the week.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

- I feel like Lincoln when they told him him Grant was a drunk - find out what brand of whiskey he drinks and send him a barrel.

Sooooo - I wonder what kind of electrons my rebalancing Vanguard computers use to buy stocks to bring my balanced index up to snuff.

Hmmm - where does one buy electrons anyway?

heh heh heh - Still have not commited my little tiny bit of mad money yet.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I bought $30K of VIVAX today. If I had more cash on the sidelines, I wouldn't be afraid to deploy it, but I don't think there's any hurry. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Got tired (after getting bit twice) of putting in a buy order on an index stock only to have the order execute several dollars per share and a day or so later. Shifted a bit of cash from our bank to the Vanguard money market so we can snaffle up an ETF on one of the big lurches down. I see no shame in trying to market time when there are 8-10% price swings in a day. May not be good at the sell high side, but buy low(er) seems doable.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been steadily rebalancing from bonds into stocks after the huge drop, headed back to my target AA around 50/50. My vague attempts to time in at the recent bottoms have mostly failed, reminding my how difficult that strategy is, and instead I continue to trust that any of the prices of the last week will look like a deal in a few years.....
headingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

ReWahoo - I'm just dying to know what is in your "signature" line that causes it to say
[MODERATOR EDIT]

(You're so funny!)
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and I just started our weekly DCA plan today to get back more in the stock market. I have been sitting on the sidelines for a month grinding my teeth, but I think it's about time.

We won't really get to our ideal AA for about a year, but who's in a hurry?
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote