Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

a little BP this morning. (I hope I do not cause the next great crash!)

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last week I bought $15k of VTSAX (VG Total Stock Market Index) and 200 shs of FAST (Fastenal). Wish I had more $$ available -- but I'm holding onto my emergency cash.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I reallocated on Friday. My IRA had gone down to 55% stock/45 bond. I upped the global stock fund to 70%.
These are funds that I won't be needing for 10 or more years. I am holding on to all my MM and CD cash - these funds are my "sleep at night funds".
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I sold a chunk of my bear market fund (BEARX) and reinvested the proceeds into VTSMX (VG Total stock market index) and VEIPX (Vanguard Equity Income).

I used some cash in my wife's 401K to buy some FUSEX (Spartan US equities index).

I bought a boatload of Vanguard Wellington and Vanguard Wellesley.

I haven't fully rebalanced yet and I still have plenty of cash to buy on dips.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On Friday 10/11, moved ~ 5.5% of NW from a stodgy bond fund to SPY. Didn't get in at the days lows, got ~ $89.40.

This was really just rebalancing. Something I'm going to pay closer attention to in the future. Wish I had done it when stocks were up also.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I threw in everything I could get my hands on without raiding my emrgency fund, I-bonds, and a few CDs I hold. It looked not too shrewd, but a lot of the damage was repaired today. So far.:confused:

ha
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

I used some of my fun money to buy AIG . No sure if it was a smart move or a stupid one but I will probably only hold it until it makes more fun money .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought some GE today at (hopefully) under $20/share. What a deal
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

ditto on the ge buy
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 AM   #30

I guess todays the day. Been waiting for this for 3 years...now that its here
I'll (at least) DCA into my VG total stock mkt. fund and Primecap
Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Foriegn markets took another big drop last night. We might just set some new records today and tomorrow. Bargains? We still have the all important Christmas season to get through. How's that looking?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Foriegn markets took another big drop last night. We might just set some new records today and tomorrow. Bargains? We still have the all important Christmas season to get through. How's that looking?
last i heard 2.2% growth, but it's ben discounted already

some of the earnings aren't that bad and wall street will probably start buying based on 2010 estimates soon

i made up a quick bear market rally list last night, going to do a quick scrub looking at the charts and will start putting limit orders in today at prices just below friday's low
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

In a brilliant and courageous investment move i bought a massive $5k worth of VTSMX on friday. Which was executed on Monday at the height of the market. Undeterred, bought another 5, which was executed Tuesday, in plenty of time to watch the market flop on Wednesday... Really need to start buying ETFs instead!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I sold my last chunk of BEARX yesterday, reinvested parts of the proceeds in VEIPX, VTSMX and VGSIX (REITS have been beaten up real good lately, I figure I'll be getting a 6+% yield on those VGSIX shares). I also invested more cash in VWELX and VWINX (at yesterday's prices I am figuring that I will be getting yields of 4+% and 5+% on Wellington and Wellesley respectively). I still have 15% of my portfolio in cash, plenty of new inflows every week, and about 25% of my portfolio in bonds right now for rebalancing. But I am taking it easy, putting just a few thousand dollars to work at a time, because I think the market downturn is going to last a few more months at least.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I bought some defensive stocks the last two days, i.e. consumer staples and utility stocks, just to lose a bit of money right away. So I stopped to put my ear to the ground for a while, to see if I could detect the rumbling that might be the approach of that big T-Rex.

And by the way, my cash portion in absolute dollars went up despite the buying; my stop loss orders on energy stocks tripped like crazy. Needless to say, that cash portion is even higher, in percentage. Two months ago, I purposedly sold enough to sit dumb and happy at 50%. It is 69% as I am writing this. What a ride down!

PS. I also follow international stocks (developed nations, not some little backwards countries). Some of them drop as bad, or worse. However, precious metals have not gained any ground either. I take that as a good sign.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup. Bought VEU (Vanguard FTSE All-world ex-us ETF) at the highest price on Tuesday (doh!) and bought some VTSMX today.

All we've got is couch cushion change at this point, but we'll DCA more in with the next paycheck.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #37

bought some ultra ETF's, AAPL and will probably get a piece of NM with the last of my margin cash
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I bought some defensive stocks the last two days... just to lose a bit of money right away.
Made me laugh! I put the last 1/3 of a lump sum in the S&P index today. Hoping it's of some value in 15 years. Starting in November, I'm planning to move some bond yield into stocks while I'm living on CDs.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought 5K shares of GED a few weeks ago about break even now.
Bought 4K shares of UTF at mid $7 range and got out upper $11 range for
nice 50% gain in a few days. Watching a few CEF's with 20+ discount and
dividends in the 20+% range. Believe next move will be to lighten up on GED
a little ( that is a maybe) or sale IGNAX which has been held several years
and get UTF again watching IGD, BTF and a few others.
Rmember alot of CEF's dividends are return of capital which is not a bad thing
in these markets.
Bought into an oil/gas partnership in May, well completed and hit some nice gas
zones. Estimates look good for a conservative 5.5 BCF a bit of condensate should
return intial capital and +150% in next five years we hope according to guru's.
Hedge funds doing ok considering everything in the present markets.
One down 3.9% thru Sept another one was down 5% thru Aug then crapped
10% in Sept but both are over 60% cash now. Plenty of what I consider safe
income and cash on hand still. Worst thing recently is too many asking for cash
hand-outs due to hard times. Seems a week does not go by without someone
needing a few grand, a few hundred seems like a thing of the past. Not sure what
alot of these people done in the past but money management wasn't one of them.
American dream seems to be something that is borrowed now days, no wonder
liar loans and sub slime is so common for many now days.
wcv56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #40

i'm a little bearish this week and think there is a real risk of going down below the lows and most likely one more close under 900 for the SP500