Join Early Retirement Today

Did anyone buy this week?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did anyone buy this week?

Outside of my normal 401k, I bought a little FAST and a little MCD in an after tax account.

Outside of my emergency fund, I have everything in the market and am trying to tighten my belt to buy as much as I can right now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

re-invested dividends - does that count?
Also about 1,300 on Friday - just for the fun of rounding account balances in MM to 000's

Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought quite a bit Tues and Thurs. All are obviously under water now.

mP
Old 10-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I bought on Monday and Friday so now 70% of a recent lump sum is in. Still have the other 30% earmarked for equities; don't know when.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

No and yes.

Target Retirement 2015 so I presume those trusty computers are rebalancing away - aka buying all the way down.

As for petty cash - no. But I am trying to see whether I can can scrape together some money to play/keep the hormones happy.

The Norwegian widow widow stocks have been held too long for any tax losses so I'd have to pay taxes on any switches.

heh heh heh - my greed/hormone meter says I don't want to miss the party - but??
Old 10-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

This past week, bought VYM, VTI, PFE, GE, MO (increasing equity allocation from 65 to 75%). I also plan to book some tax losses by swapping ETFs but have not done this yet.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just in my gambling fund. Got a couple $K each of GE, Pfizer, P&G, JNJ, Schlumberger, and 3 shares of BRK.B. I'll check back in on them in 10 years or so.

I've got a large chunk of real money ready to invest in Vanguard funds, I'm just working on my AA. I'm hoping that between my procrastination and the fact that God watches over fools and drunks I'll start my DCAing near the bottom. We'll see how that works out.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not yet but might nibble a little next week if things level off a bit. If I miss the bottom, so be it. My gonads are much smaller these days.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Administrator

Bought a little VTSAX (Total Stock Market) and VWIAX (Wellesley) on Friday.

Now, looking at the low share prices I got, I wish I had bought more! I plan to do that on Monday or Tuesday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yes Realty Income (O) at $21.
I also sold Apple Oct 80 puts
Old 10-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Outside of my normal 401k, I bought a little FAST and a little MCD in an after tax account.

Outside of my emergency fund, I have everything in the market and am trying to tighten my belt to buy as much as I can right now.
I dont have anymore money. Otherwise I probably would have.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #12

My 24 year old son made his first stock purchase on Wednesday. He bought $600 of a pipeline company stock. He'd been watching it for a while and decided it was time. It has a 52 week high of 32 and he bought it at $17.40. It's now at $18.39. He wants to keep it for a while and see what it does and learn along the way. I'll be learning along with him.

He also wants to try a mutual fund soon. I've told him about how people here like Wellesley so he's been looking into it.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My 24 year old son made his first stock purchase on Wednesday. He bought $600 of a pipeline company stock. He'd been watching it for a while and decided it was time. It has a 52 week high of 32 and he bought it at $17.40. It's now at $18.39. He wants to keep it for a while and see what it does and learn along the way. I'll be learning along with him.
18.39. EPD good company they just raised their distribution for the 17th consecutive quarters. The nice thing is at the current yield of 11.4%! even if the stock goes nowhere they never raise their distribution again he will double his money in 6 years. If has an opportunity to reinvest the distributions I'd tell him to take advantage of it.

Wellesley is awesome mutual fund, but at 24 I think it is to conservative for some who has the courage to invest in this market and something as dull as pipeline company like EPD/ETP. Although, at some point he should invest in mutual funds.

Buy him the new Warren Buffett Biography Snowball, the kid has good instincts.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Made a new investment in the Vanguard Energy Fund. Lost some money in it over the past couple days, but we have been watching it for a while now and confident it will come back in spades...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

buy now

bought 100k on friday- JNJ, yahoo & pepsi

Will buy 50k every time the market gets below 8,500 next week. By late october we will know where many banks stand - every one will still be living and we will see a 20% pop from Dow 8,500 by mid Nov.

remember buy low sell hi --- If you are selling now - you are doing just the opposite. After 9500 you will be buying high agian.

May sell after pop to have cash for up coming up retirement

I am sure everyone can remember 911 - same thing happend. It went from devesiation up 30% in a couple of months.

Retiring in April 09 at 50. Poor or rich. just time for a change and new challange.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #16

I nibbled a bit esp. during the big panic times....JNJ and MMM....but hey, there was a lot of others that looked really good.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #17

I sold off the last of my ExxonMobil shares and part of my WRE Reit shares to have cash for purchases. I bought modest additional amounts of high dividend payers I already own: BAC, D, Dow, KFT, MO, PM, POM, RPM, SLE, SO. My individual stock portfolio now has a dividend rate = 6.06%.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #18

I bought a little GE at around 19. Also some Sasol, planning on adding SSL, and BBEP if oil decline constinues.

Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought a couple things which I consider even more out of whack than the general market:
- HTE (Harvest Energy Trust). Closed @ 8.09 Friday (8.00 after hours). Pays 30 cent MONTHLY dividend (Canadian). Has bank debt 1.5x EBITDA, total debt 1.8x, but nothing substantial (as far as I can tell) coming due prior to 2010. A good portion of their upstream oil output is hedged, and I believe their refinery margins most likely improved in 3q. Disclaimer: I keep buying this as it goes down...and it goes down...and it goes down...OUCH.

-TEI - Templeton Emerging Income. It appears the closed end funds are just getting slaughtered. For TEI, Closing price (Frdiay) 7.88, after hours 7.25! NAV $11.66.

Quote:
The Fund seeks high, current income, with a secondary goal of capital appreciation, by investing under normal market conditions, at least 80% of its net assets in income-producing securities of sovereign or sovereign-related entities and private sector companies in emerging market countries. The Fund will invest at least 65% of its total assets in U.S. dollar denominated securities. Up to 35% of the Fund's total assets may be invested in securities denominated in currencies other than the U.S. dollar, including currencies of emerging market countries. Financial futures, options and interest rate transactions may be used for hedging purposes.
At the closing price on Friday, it was sitting at a 32% discount to NAV.

I would be interested any analysis folks have done to find either a) companies with strong cash flow positions and strong cash-heavy balance sheets and b) companies or closed end funds where the market price seems to be substantially out of whack with the underlying asset values.

I have a friend of a friend who became pretty weathly at a fairly young age in the seventies by buying closed end funds at up to 50% or so off of NAV.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I have a friend of a friend who became pretty weathly at a fairly young age in the seventies by buying closed end funds at up to 50% or so off of NAV.
My brother is a very conservative investor. He keeps about 60 to 80% in fixed (CDs, cash, and when interest reates are high longer bonds, and the balance in heavily discounted CEFs. Some of these look so bad that I won't touch them, but he always makes out OK. A recent buy that we both have made is RAF, at discounts around 30%. It invests exclusively in high quality Asian RE companies. Negatives are a somewhat high expense ratio. It is a very small fund. The managers are in Australia. I think eventually this might be a 4 bagger.

For anyone who needs or wants Oil and gas exposure, PEO is a well managed CEF that has a good but not enormous discount, at a time when its very high quality underlying assets have been beaten to death in the markets.

A manage a moderate account for a conservative older investor. It contains PEO and ADX, and a small amout of RAF. My own acounts contain RAF.

ha