Join Early Retirement Today

Dipping my other toe in the water (Corning)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
gone traveling

Dipping my other toe in the water (Corning)

Purchased 20 Jan 2013 $15 calls of Corning (GLW) for $3.65 today.

Amazing the values that are still on the supposed bubble market.

Exit point is sometime this year at $5 a call.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So just to be absolutely clear you bought 20 lots of 100 - $15 Jan-2013 GLW calls at $3.65 per call.

And you expect to sell them at $5.00 per call for a profilt of ($5.00 - $3.65) X 100 X 20 = $2700 less commisions and foregone interest on the options. Is that correct ?

Would you care to go into why you thought this was a good buy ?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So just to be absolutely clear you bought 20 lots of 100 - $15 Jan-2013 GLW calls at $3.65 per call.

And you expect to sell them at $5.00 per call for a profilt of ($5.00 - $3.65) X 100 X 20 = $2700 less commisions and foregone interest on the options. Is that correct ?

Would you care to go into why you thought this was a good buy ?
Yes, that is right, 2000 options at 3.65.

GLW cash on hand $6.3B, debt 2.3B, market cap 26.5B, book value $13
Foward PE 7.54
Makes glass for lcd, smartphone screens, laptops, fiberoptics, medical equipment

Wait, why did I only buy 20 contracts?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

DoraM, the calls do seem to have a good potential to hit $5 if there is another run to the 14K level this year.

I noticed that the 2 year low on GLW is about $14.5.

In my strategy, I would be looking to sell Nov 11 calls at strike of $14, for about 40 cents. If tomorrow's market is down, this could be reached, and I will open my position.

If by some chance I get assigned, I would be holding GLW at a P/E of about 6.8, which would be a pretty good position going forward into a presidential election year.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

You only have two toes?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #6

My only comment is that usually the sellers of options make the money.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
DoraM, the calls do seem to have a good potential to hit $5 if there is another run to the 14K level this year.

I noticed that the 2 year low on GLW is about $14.5.

In my strategy, I would be looking to sell Nov 11 calls at strike of $14, for about 40 cents. If tomorrow's market is down, this could be reached, and I will open my position.

If by some chance I get assigned, I would be holding GLW at a P/E of about 6.8, which would be a pretty good position going forward into a presidential election year.

I assume you mean you would sell Nov 11 cash secured puts. A reasonable strategy and one I use in our bigger accounts.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
My only comment is that usually the sellers of options make the money.
I have heard this a lot and don't know if it is true or if the statistics are being misused. I have heard things like 80% of options expire worthless, but are these deep ITM LEAPS or are they someone buying weekly OTM calls looking to score a 10 bagger in a few days? I could see 99% of weekly options expiring worthless and 20% of ITM LEAPS expiring worthless might average to something like 80% of all options expiring worthless.

Also look at it like this: Sellers of options take on vastly more risk vs reward than buyers of options, so it does seem fair that a larger percentage of their trades would go positive. Example: You owned EK in 2008 at $15 a share basis and decided to write a 6 month covered call at $16 strike for $1 ( a typical premium). Fast foward 6 months and you are down at least $9 per share while the option buyer has only lost his $1.

Anyway, I have 80 free trades left, and options provide more leverage in this small account than stock. They also do not take 3 days to settle, allowing significantly less down time in the account.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
You only have two toes?
Well, my husband does sometimes call me a sloth.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I trade options from time to time. I usually only buy when I think I have a realistic chance to at least double my money and I usually buy the longest tenor I can find. But lets face it: this is speculation at best, gambling at worst. Keep it small in size and only use it for your very best ideas.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I trade options from time to time. I usually only buy when I think I have a realistic chance to at least double my money and I usually buy the longest tenor I can find. But lets face it: this is speculation at best, gambling at worst. Keep it small in size and only use it for your very best ideas.
This is very good advice and I do follow the same thoughts. I buy almost exclusively in the money LEAPS, but I don't always hold for a double, being satisfied with a 30% to 40% gain if it happens early enough in the holding period.

A safer way to do this if you want to really hold the entire length and try for at least a double is to sell OTM calls against the ITM options you buy. Sure, you limit yourself to a max gain of maybe 150% or so, but you recover most if not all of the time premium you paid for the ITM options and significantly reduce the break even price. I have looked into doing this but am still studying it.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
I assume you mean you would sell Nov 11 cash secured puts. A reasonable strategy and one I use in our bigger accounts.

Yes, you are absolutely correct - my bad.

I meant to sell the Nov 11 puts , not calls.

How does one edit previous posts? I could not find the way to do it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
gone traveling

Over the past few days I have changed around my investments a little because of the debt crisis.

I am now long Apple, Microsoft and Corning via option spreads.

Apple is doing seriously well...the short leg of my spread is in the money by $20, so there is a good chance I get full value for that one (114% profit)

Microsoft is doing seriously well...the short leg of that spread is in the money by $2 (Jan 2012 $24 $26) and the spread could earn 105% profit

Corning is just floating along, but I have changed it to a calendar spread, buying Jan 2013 $12.50 calls and selling Feb 2012 $19 calls for a net debit of $4.50. Has potential to be worth 44% or a bit more.

Even though Apple and Microsoft are skyrocketing, I still think the lowest risk play was/is Corning. The $12.50 calls are just so deep in the money and have 18 months left, and the stock is near a 52 week low with strong expected 2012 earnings.

It was nice today to log into that account and see it up $7800 versus logging into my 401K with total stock market index and seeing it down