Do you always have a limit order going?

+1
Post retirement those hours can be better used to enjoy life. IMHO. :)

I dunno, I find that in retirement I spend a lot of useless time on the internet reading forums and keeping up with the Kardashians. Trading almost seems like a better use of time.

Anyway, I'd like to do a "if bought, then sell at limit ####." What broker will let me do that?

The contest would be a good test for you to try. But I do say, have the contest duration for some time (at the very least a year). Most folks here aren't going anywhere.

I changed it to a year. I'll have about 20% bonds and I'd want to compete with an index with about the same, or else someone has to tell me what I'm competing with it so I can balance the bonds accordingly.

There's zero chance of an index winning if I buy the same index and use my stock picking skills to take advantage of a once-a-year stock opportunity, so I'll go easy on the index by not buying stock.

Last edited:
The contest link is in my sig

Removed per rules. The contest is at goo.gl/ui8JI8

Last edited:
I changed it to a year. I'll have about 20% bonds and I'd want to compete with an index with about the same, or else someone has to tell me what I'm competing with it so I can balance the bonds accordingly.

There's zero chance of an index winning if I buy the same index and use my stock picking skills to take advantage of a once-a-year stock opportunity, so I'll go easy on the index by not buying stock.

Why limit yourself? We'd love to see your stock picking skills demonstrated. Why not create a second entry, either a separate contest or as a separate entry in the contest.

I won't bother signing up, you already know my 'bet' - all on SPY.

-ERD50

The contest link is in my sig

Removed per rules. The contest is at goo.gl/ui8JI8

Clicking on the link, your contest still says "Started March 11, 2017; ends May 11, 2017".

I believe we can create up to 3 portfolios. If so, I'll prob have one just to follow a total stock index (since ERD50 said he won't sign up) and another more realistic to sleep well as if I was investing my real money.

Why limit yourself? We'd love to see your stock picking skills demonstrated. Why not create a second entry, either a separate contest or as a separate entry in the contest.

I won't bother signing up, you already know my 'bet' - all on SPY.

-ERD50

I posted two real-life, real-time picks in this thread. I think you said I made 1% with one, and I think I made 1.7% with URBN in one day. I plan on another. I'll post another buy order before the open. I don't know if I'll bother with another contest. It's possible I'll be doing this daily and it's too much trouble when it doesn't count.

Clicking on the link, your contest still says "Started March 11, 2017; ends May 11, 2017".

I fixed it.

Okay Boho,

I'm in. Just entered my first trade. Let the game begin!

For now, I'm just using one portfolio. Not sure if I'll add another or not.

Good luck and have fun zig-zagging back and forth!

I think I'll just let this sit for a year.

Attachments

• stock-contest.jpg
    stock-contest.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 17
I think I'll just let this sit for a year.

That might be a great strategy. Just do whatever you think to end up with a good portfolio by the contest end. I'll do the same.

But I won't show my cards ahead of time as thinking, that's like asking Micheal Phelps (I'm no Michael Phelps) how fast he's gonna try in a swim.

This could be fun and hopefully others join. Nothing to lose but a bruised ego :cool:.

Boho,

To make things simple, I will say that I'll only have one portfolio for the contest. That way, there's no confusion about cherry picking which out of 3 performed best.

Last edited:
It's OK either way. I mainly want to see how it does against a global index with a similar bond balance. I didn't even calculate what my bond balance is though. My real life portfolio is a little different. I wonder how dividends are handled.

You can use more than one if you like. I'm just going to use one for simplicity.

I'll post another buy order before the open.

I slept late but that order didn't go through. I tried bidding the ask price that Fidelity showed for AMD after hours even though it was higher in after hours trading. It opened higher than I bid. I'm going to go back to bidding higher than ask in cases like that.

But I increased the bid and it was just filled at $14.20.

My reasoning for buying this stock was that it was just added to the S&P 500 after hours and it had been on the low side of its typical price pattern and on its way up as well as on the low side of after hours bidding and, I figured on its way up. I've since read another favorable article on AMD. But it looks so overvalued and bearish according to the ratings I see on Fidelity that I want to get rid of it quickly.

I just did a Sell 180 Shares of AMD with a Limit Order at $14.36. Still open

Last edited:
Filled at $14.36. I made $28.80. I only had 180 shares. Wish I had a margin account. I also could have transferred cash and increased the trade but at least I made a little money.

Three out of three wins so far.

Looks like only one portfolio allowed per contest. Which makes sense.

Well, at the start, Boho looks like a genius (or know just enough to be dangerous :() in the lead and me in 4th place.

But 1 year is a marathon, not a sprint :).

Attachments

• simvest contest status 01.jpg
    simvest contest status 01.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 14
I hope Boho is a troll because the alternative is in equal measures scary and sad.

For educational purposes, in that Simvest site, when looking at your account summary, comparing to the SP 500 is just a click away. So, when the contest is over, the comparing should be easy for you to do and see how well you matched up.

I hope Boho is a troll because the alternative is in equal measures scary and sad.

I'm going to start reporting posts like that. If you say something like that, especially in light of the fact that I'm proving my trading works, you have to explain.

.... especially in light of the fact that I'm proving my trading works, you have to explain.

Ummm, that remains to be seen. Isn't that the point?

Declaring yourself the winner after the first 2 steps of a marathon run sounds like the ramblings of a troll-like personality to me.

Not sure how it works, but I imagine if you start reporting posts right and left, the mods may get tired of it, and you might find yourself banned. Just roll with it, your long term results should speak for themselves.

-ERD50

Declaring yourself the winner after the first 2 steps of a marathon run sounds like the ramblings of a troll-like personality to me.

I'm not especially confident about that contest. The market is strong and that favors index funds and my whole point about index vs. managed was that the evidence that index funds are better (generally and practically speaking) is weak and there's a lot of misinformation. I'm becoming more confident in my stock trades and that's what I was talking about when I said I'm proving my trading works. With the contest, it's a tossup. I don't know enough to predict it.

No matter who ends up in the winner, I think the contest is a good educational exercise. Hopefully, there will be some ups and downs in the market during the year's contest for good data representation. I'm not going to change my way of investing regardless, but will be fun to see how the traders end up.

I won't over post daily with a leader board, but maybe every month or two.

One thing for certain, just one day of "trading", I can say, the $5 commission each trade is killing me :LOL:.

Last edited:
Easysurfer, You may have moved ahead in the standings. I did not see the contest rules of a $5 limit on the stock price and had to sell a stock and buy another to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom