Join Early Retirement Today

Effective yield >11% for PM
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Effective yield >11% for PM

Don't you just hate it when one of your stocks increases it's dividend by 20%?

My effective yield on Philip Morris (PM) has now eclipsed the 11% mark.

I'm not boasting, I'm just trying to share some of my excitement. Hopefully it'll rub off on somebody and they too will see that the stock market isn't too "risky."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I quit trying to figure out the effective yield on MO which I first bought pre split off of KFT and PM.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I quit trying to figure out the effective yield on MO which I first bought pre split off of KFT and PM.
I know what you mean.

I too have owned these stocks since they had the spin offs. Fortunately I own them in an IRA and won't have to worry about actual cost basis if/when I ever sell them.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I own 2/3 of the stocks in the Morningstar Dividend investors portfolio. Sadly PM is part of the 1/3 of that I don't own. I wish it would get cheap enough to buy, but of course when the boost a dividend by 20% it has positive impact on the stock price.

Congrats to you two, for what looks like a very nice investment for a retiree.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My soul does not sell for that cheap. YMMV.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Thanks for sharing this insightful comment.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I consider PM and Altaria MO, which I own, to be socially responsible investing, because they both prevent over population. In fact there is some evidence that smokers due to lower life expectancy help out the finances of Social Security and Medicare. Not to mention that cigarette taxes are important source of revenue for the states.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I first bought MO years ago, back when the huge legal judgement knocked the stock price down to $19. I have reinvested the dividends since then and I have substantial holdings in KFT and PM as a result of the spin offs. I have sold shares of these three from time to time that more than offset my purchase costs. Therefore, if I try to calculate my yield on cost, I get an infinite result!! I'm not complaining, just commenting.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I own 2/3 of the stocks in the Morningstar Dividend investors portfolio. Sadly PM is part of the 1/3 of that I don't own. I wish it would get cheap enough to buy, but of course when the boost a dividend by 20% it has positive impact on the stock price.
Congrats to you two, for what looks like a very nice investment for a retiree.
You should tell them your yield on the first shares of Intel stock that you still hold!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You should tell them your yield on the first shares of Intel stock that you still hold!

please don't.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well since you ask the lowest price Intel shares are $.6925 so with a annual dividend of $.84 that gives a yield of 121%. Needless that is my best investment ever.

Arebelspy don't feel bad in 30 years after you've been retired for many years you can break about the Vegas house that you bought for $75,000 that are worth over a $1 million.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well since you ask the lowest price Intel shares are $.6925 so with a annual dividend of $.84 that gives a yield of 121%. Needless that is my best investment ever.

Arebelspy don't feel bad in 30 years after you've been retired for many years you can break about the Vegas house that you bought for $75,000 that are worth over a $1 million.
Nice. I like it.

I thought stocks were "risky" and thought everybody that owned a house in Vegas was under water (at least that's what you hear and read on the news)?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST
I ... thought everybody that owned a house in Vegas was under water (at least that's what you hear and read on the news)?
Oh we are. Hopefully not in 30 years though.. That's a scary thought, no recovery after 30 years.

(Especially since the mortgages would be paid off )
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was thinking my mom's Exxon would be better... but I was wrong... it is only 85% or so..
Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought a bunch of my Apple stock at $9.90. It's currnetly worth $400.00. So let's see...that's an effective yield of...still 0%. Darn it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I bought a bunch of my Apple stock at $9.90. It's currnetly worth $400.00. So let's see...that's an effective yield of...still 0%. Darn it.
That sucks big time.

Hang in there, you/we might be getting a $5 or $10 a share dividend soon.

I've had AAPL for a few years myself. I ain't complaining, but my profit ain't quite as much as yours.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'd dump it and take my lumps.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_INVEST View Post
Don't you just hate it when one of your stocks increases it's dividend by 20%?

My effective yield on Philip Morris (PM) has now eclipsed the 11% mark.

I'm not boasting, I'm just trying to share some of my excitement. Hopefully it'll rub off on somebody and they too will see that the stock market isn't too "risky."
I know I would. Sounds like a desperate move on their part. Does that come with a guarantee that the share price will at least stay even?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazenger View Post
Does that come with a guarantee that the share price will at least stay even?
I never hope for guarantees in stock prices. Declines in the price are part of the game, as are advances (the advances happen about twice as often as the temporary declines and the way I look at them are merely ways of making sure the shares of stock are returned to their rightful owners).

With an 11% effective yield (and a 3 year dividend growth rate of >11%), I don't have the brass to ask for the price to always stay even or go up.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I consider PM and Altaria MO, which I own, to be socially responsible investing, because they both prevent over population. In fact there is some evidence that smokers due to lower life expectancy help out the finances of Social Security and Medicare. Not to mention that cigarette taxes are important source of revenue for the states.
Not to mention Federal and Local taxes. I paid $12/pack in NYC but if I go to Long Island, $10/pack and if I cross the river to Jersey, $8.50/pack. It's lot cheaper to shop in Jersey than NY including gas, clothing and no bottle deposits. However, property taxes are same as long island.

The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote