Join Early Retirement Today

Euro CDs
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Euro CDs

I believe that the US$ is going to get slammed hard and soon. I was surprised to find only one bank; Everbank in FL, advertising CDs in euros; almost non-existent interest but FDIC insured. Is anyone else looking for ways to hedge against a falling dollar other than metals?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
I believe that the US$ is going to get slammed hard and soon. I was surprised to find only one bank; Everbank in FL, advertising CDs in euros; almost non-existent interest but FDIC insured. Is anyone else looking for ways to hedge against a falling dollar other than metals?
You have the tense wrong. The USD has been slammed hard already.

I suppose it may continue, but at this point there is a lot of weight on the sell dollar bandwagon and there might be a pretty good snapback.

ha

Old 09-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The USD has been slammed hard already.
I'm looking at current levels vs a year ago. The US$ is still several points higher than its 08 low vs the euro, and I think that's unsustainable.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Administrator

I felt the same way. Here is a link to the discussion from earlier this year. Up 15% from this bet so far...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for linking. I searched on "euro" and that thread didn't come up. FDIC notwithstanding, I'm still a little leery of the banks; I think lots are still in deep doo-doo but the Fed has them on life support. We moved all our cash to a federal credit union.

I looked into Everbank but when I saw that it has a substantial mortgage business that I assume is largely in the FL market, plus their being essentially a local FL bank, I backed off. I was hoping to find European banks with US operations that sold euro CDs, but came up empty. I don't like currency ETFs (e.g. FTX) because of commissions.

I worked in Canada for a few years in 80s and Canadian banks offered accounts in many currencies. US banks act like the US$ is the only currency.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I personally keep my Euro deposits in a European Bank with no branch in the US. I can get access to more investment options (savings accounts, CDs, checking account with ATM card to easily access the money states-side, etc...), higher interest rates and still government protection for my deposits.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
Commodities, TIPS and some Canadian banks will open accounts for US citizens. Currency diversification is offered by some.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Declining Dollar

Has anyone used MERKX or MABFX to protect against a declining dollar?