Join Early Retirement Today

Excellent Pickens Interview on Bloomberg, 4/29/2008
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent Pickens Interview on Bloomberg, 4/29/2008

Bloomberg News

He makes things clear, and he is usually right.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Bloomberg News

He makes things clear, and he is usually right.

Ha
I agree with the man. However Im not putting money on it. Are you Ha? Funny I totally agree with what hes saying 125 to 150 oil. Yet i wont put any money on it. Guess im frozen with fear.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

He also gave a interview on CNBC todaty(same tie--same suit.)

It is worth listening to both as he covers a little different ground on CNBC, as well as plugging his book, which ought to be good.

Interesting how he never seems to recognize the Bakken as a future source nor does he think much of the oil sands per his past musings.
MSNBC - Video Front Page
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #4

What possibly could make oil go down? Seems like a sure investment to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Major new discovery of easy oil--End of the terrorism premium--Kicking the speculators out of the trading pits---a stronger dollar--and the most important--reduced demand.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If I had shorted oil as he recommended early in the year, I would have been handed my head a couple of months later. But he is a smart man. He has the bank account to prove it.

I own a natural resource and a commodity fund. That is enough exposure for me. Also makes it a little easier to swallow the constant price changes at the local pumps. Almost.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

Guess time will tell Im sure he is right. I just cant make them dollars though switch to the oil play. Something about me that just cant do it. But im sure someone is and mkaing tons of money off it!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with the man. However Im not putting money on it. Are you Ha? Funny I totally agree with what hes saying 125 to 150 oil. Yet i wont put any money on it. Guess im frozen with fear.
Notmuch-I've had money on this since $20. The equities for the most part have not performed nearly as well as crude, but I believe eventually it will sink in that this is for real, and producers and service outfits will tend to catch up. I have held only the equities, not futures.

Like Pickens says, for few years running world crude production has been stuck at 85 mbpd. But demand grows, not in the developed world, but elsewhere.

I also liked what he said about natural gas as a feedstock to make synthetic diesel, and windmills to replace the gas withdrawn from electricity generation.

Ha
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Notmuch-I've had money on this since $20. The equities for the most part have not performed nearly as well as crude, but I believe eventually it will sink in that this is for real, and producers and service outfits will tend to catch up. I have held only the equities, not futures.

Like Pickens says, for few years running world crude production has been stuck at 85 mbpd. But demand grows, not in the developed world, but elsewhere.

I also liked what he said about natural gas as a feedstock to make synthetic diesel, and windmills to replace the gas withdrawn from electricity generation.

Ha
Nice seems like you made out fine. Everything screams at me oil will be going much higher. Yet I wont put any dollars on it. I stick with stocks and bonds. I have an inkling I may pay the price in the long run.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I should probably add that there likely are no sure investments. Oil at $20 was close though, as was Suncor at $18 where I bought. (I registered this years ago with Greg, Martha's husband. Greg also held/holds Suncor.)

It would be hard for me to wade in at current prices, though we could get weakness if the USD rallies; and I might be a buyer then.

Ha